1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knowing what we know now, would you still make the Russ trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dash, Aug 6, 2020.

?

Knowing what we know now, would you still make the Russ trade?

1. Yes

62.2%
  2. No

37.8%
  1. OKCRocket

OKCRocket Member

How tf did anyone vote Yes???? You'd have to be insane to say yes when:
    1. The Rockets owe 2 1st rounders and 2 swaps to a team that's better than them.
    2. IT DIDN'T EVEN IMPROVE THE TEAM!!!! They're worse this season.

ronclone, psaman17 and larsv8 like this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The rockets need to win now
    James Harden is in his prime

and I didn’t understand the logic here

if you knew that Chris Paul and James Harden hate each other would you get rid of Chris Paul?

do you guys forget that Paul is older and injury prone ?

westbrook is younger and durable ?

we already tried James Harden and no other All stars . Look what happened

And no, that scrub with his legion of fans was pointless . Wasted some years there

s3ts, Invisible Fan and mike2k132 like this.
  3. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

Maybe I lack the trust in Westbrook that you all have. I'd love those memories, too!

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Would I still? I wouldn't have made the trade then or now. But he's what we've got so I hope it works.

5. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

They are both intense players, but CP3 seems to be able to channel that intensity into his play in an effective an calculated manner. CP3 comes off as someone who is intense because he wants to win. Russ comes off as intense because he is an emotional guy that gets triggered over every single possible thing. He is an angry dude that comes across as hating life, and his intensity seems to be driven by just wanting to prove something, the drive just seems ego driven. I am indifferent currently with the trade because it could very well work out. I will say that I would probably have enjoyed watching a hypothetical scenario with a happy CP3/Harden combo vs a happy WB/Harden combo.

A Championship is ideal, but in instances where that isn't the result, I would rather watch a team that is more predictable in what will occur, and have less volatility, less heartburn and anxiety when I watch. If you've watched Russ the past 5 years, you'll see numerous games where it just feels like they win games they should have lost and lose they games they should have won. Harden is a stabilizing factor that he did not have in OKC the past few years, so I think the results will be less volatile. Happiness is based off of expectations you set, and expectations are more in line with reality when you have players who are less volatile.

When it was just Harden or CP3 and Harden, the games were fairly predictable, as long as X and Y occur they win. In the case of a loss, you can easily justify it as just not having the talent, or poor officiating or an injury, etc, and that they still maximized their potential. With Russ you get a feeling that something within his control could have been done to change the outcome. These are just gut feelings and emotions watching as a fan, and not statistically backed. I am still hoping the roller coaster of watching Russ results in a championship.

#105 BallSoHarden, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  6. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Wait he got hurt in l.a. with the clippers lol.

Do you watch basketball...cp3 is injury prone...always has been...always will be. Them just facts

7. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Lol a 73 win team lost in the finals....stop being a casual....reg season record dont mean you a better team...unless u a casual and you just starting watching the game. Then yes that would seem important to u....lakers have a better record then the clippers...do you think the lakers are a better team then them?

Reeko and D-rock like this.
  8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

People don't look forward. It's like buying stuff on credit cards. They don't even know how much they spent until they get the bill.

OKCRocket likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Where did I specifically say he wasn't prone to injury?

He had some relatively 'healthy' part of seasons like last playoffs, he did play the same amount of playoff games as Harden.

2018-19.

It just so happened that it ended in the 2nd round.

It all depends on luck and fate.

He may have that luck this year.

(Would help if you could detect light sarcasm too.) ;)

#109 daywalker02, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  10. OKCRocket

OKCRocket Member

You sound like one of those Thunder fans from the last two years when they got bounced in round 1 back to back years. All the "built for the playoffs" bullshit

Idk if you just started watching the game, but in NBA history the teams with the best regular seasons tend to have the most success in the playoffs. There's like 3 teams seeded worse than 3 that have EVER even made a finals.

11. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Russ has been a pleasant surprise for the 2nd half of the season... but no. Chris Paul and Capela are still better fits with Harden and some of the shooters we have, and didn't preclude us from going full small ball when we wanted to. Paul is still an elite PG and floor general, too. Plus he's a way better defender (even though he's not quite the all-world caliber defender he once was). What Paul is doing in OKC is incredible and should be evidence enough of how much more value he brings. Plus, he has a better contract and a game that doesn't rely as heavily on athleticism (and should age much better than Westbrook's). We gave up on him too soon after he had a bad, injury-riddled year, and now he's nearly back to his 2018 form.

Paul's only issue is that damned hamstring... Not a small issue for certain, but it's not like Westbrook doesn't have injury problems sometimes.

Please make me look a fool in the playoffs, Russ. I want nothing more than to eat the crow you've served me.

#111 SuperMarioBro, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    Easy and napalm06 like this.
  12. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Oh lord so the 2 game at max separation between the 2 n 4 seeds is a deal breakers from ur lil top 3 seed requirement lmao. Let me guess u believe that 1 rebound more then harden made russ the mvp that year clearly huh...do in review that means nothing...that like rule is under the assumption that its a hugh gap between the teams..which it isnt but carry on

D-rock likes this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Yes, but I would have given OKC even more draft picks.

14. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

without a doubt. russ + Cov is better than old CP3 + capela...

With James hardens step back 3 becoming more lethal, the need for the capela lob and his defense( which has gotten worse on the perimeter) wasn't as valuable as Cov + a younger Russ. We were lucky to get rid of capela's contract and CP3s. With Russ, harden and everybody else are better.
    Our 3 point shooters have more space and are wideopen more.Harden has more energy for defense and is better in the fourth quarter not having to create as much as before. Cp3's defense, though good on the perimeter, isn't good when switched onto a BIG in the paint. Russ can at least put a body on a big man instead of an easy layup. i think russ was injured in last year's playoffs and is now finally healthy.

Even if we don't win it this year, we have a window to add a 3 point shooting center.

D-rock likes this.
  15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He's been better lately, but there is no rational argument that the Westbrook trade was a positive if you understand anything about opportunity cost.

Now...Chris Paul and James Harden weren't getting along. So there's more to it, but the deal itself remains atrocious.

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Finally, a non-homer take in this thread.

ronclone, D-rock and KingCheetah like this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What about C3PED + Cov-19?

D-rock likes this.
  18. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

If he were willing to cut out his midrange jumpers, I would consider his contract a bargain. His intangible effect on Harden as well as his ability to singlehandedly carry the roster past 50% of NBA teams is worth the money. The fact that we switch between ultra fast and surgically slow is a nightmare for opponents.

Paul was essentially a far lesser Harden on offense, but much better on defense. It didn't give the team the dynamism it has now, the pace was too slow all the time. If an opponent was good at guarding that - and it turns out only the Warriors could - then we were in trouble. I wonder what would have happened if we had Westbrook forcing those guys to run back full force before being attacked or left at the mercy of Harden in the halfcourt.

I think we made a good deal. We just need the owner to stop being a cheap b*stard. If anyone gave Morey the green light to spend as much as the highest payroll, he could easily turn us into the clear favorites every season. Our core is good enough to do that as long as they watch their long term fitness.

jcmoon, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The better question is

Knowing what we know now, would you have wanted to extend Eric Gordon at $19 mill per for the next 4 years?

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  20. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

Because of the cap situation, I think its a must if we ever want to do a trade for someone decent.

hakeem94 and jch1911 like this.