1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin McHale on 610 today talking Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

No, my comments are about the fact that you're not always going to get the results you want every single month. Especially when you're expecting one guy to carry an entire team. Not even Hakeem, Jordan, Bird were sensational every month during the regular season. The difference is that they had other guys who stepped up and helped carry the load.

No Chance likes this.
  2. And1redux

And1redux Member

So? That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying objectively, and factually wise, Harden had a poor Janurary based on results - which some people deny. We can speculate as to what the relevant cause might have been, but that has nothing to do with whether or not Harden was actually 'the best' last month (Mathloom claims that he was). Clearly he was not, and player of the month voting reflects that sentiment.

#102 And1redux, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  3. Tha_Dude

If your goal is to be objective then you shouldn't dismiss the variables. If you're just here to try and prove a point that Harden had a poor month then you've completely wasted your time, I think. I don't even know if you ever understood to begin with. I will be lighting up a J here shortly, no matter what.

4. And1redux

And1redux Member

Some people - including Mathloom - deny that Harden had a poor month in January. I said based on results, Harden was not good last month. I didn't dismiss the variables or causes; but MVP voting is purely based on results. You don't get extra credit for having tough schedule, get it?

If for the rest of the season Harden continues to 1. shoot poorly 2. turn the ball over 3. play no defense, and Houston goes something like 20-14 during that stretch, people are not going to give him the MVP or the 'best player in the world' title, just because he had a tough schedule. It doesn't work like that.

I believe Harden will play better, but there's no need to sugarcoat his January performance. Yeah, the whole team was tired, but you are judged almost 100% by results in this industry. And by that standard, Harden was not even close to 'the best' (again, something that Mathloom claims) last month.

#104 And1redux, Feb 16, 2017
    brewer's goat likes this.
  5. basketballholic

James Harden is directly responsible for the talent surrounding him. You apparently don't understand that.

6. Tha_Dude

[​IMG]

BigMaloe likes this.
  7. Tha_Dude

8. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Kawhi in October shot 26.7% from 3
    He has shot 31.6% this month.
    In October he only grabbed 3.3rebs per.

But that doesn't paint the entire picture, but I could surely support my claim (with evidence) that Kawhi hasn't been playing at MVP level recently and has had stretches that he hasn't dominated.

Durant shot 30% from 3 in October.
    He is shooting 30.2% from 3 this month.
    Definitely can't win shooting and struggling like that.

But none of this paints the actual picture. Or does it? Do all great players have slumps?

None the less, I will concede @And1redux and agree that Harden in January averaging 28.3 pts, 8.2 rebs, 10.4 ast, on 60.6 ts% was bad for his standards

Tha_Dude and Stormy1234 like this.
  9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Funny how you defend your boy McFail when he along with Morey are more than responsible for the "non-leader" Harden is today. McFail got a young, fairly raw Harden and had a chance to mould him and make him a leader. Instead, he curled up in a fetal position, handed over the keys to Harden and let him do whatever he wanted. Make no mistake, Harden carried McFail while this fool was standing by the sidelines clapping hands and twitching fingers.

Harden may not be right type of leader in many people's eyes but that idiot McFail has a huge part in this.

This whole thing and constantly taking passive aggressive jabs at the Rockets is a new low for Milk Hair. He needs to put this time into studying how other NBA coaches operate, learn a few plays and try and get him another coaching gig.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  10. basketballholic

LOL. When McHale attempted to mold Harden into a great leader Harden complained to the front office and they fired McHale. The responsibility for Hardens lack of leadership falls squarely on Les.

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

LOL, he stepped in 4 years too late. And reality is by that time, Harden knew McFail was pretty much useless. In those 4 years, Harden is the one who carried the Rockets, not McFail. The monster had grown. If McHale knew what makes a leader like he claims to, he had the chance right when we acquired Harden to do that but instead this sorry ass loser coach just handed over the keys.

What was McFail doing those first few years?

Tha_Dude, Stormy1234 and Pen15clubber like this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Truth.

Dude is butt hurt. He needs to get over it. They had as bad a training camp as they could have possibly had and started the season as bad as they possible could have. And he didn't so squat. Add in years if poor to little X's and O's and years of poor defensive game planning and he deserved to be fired... even if it felt "quick and early" and they got media pushback.

They made the WCF on the strength of basically letting the players do whatever they wanted and an epic clippers meltdown. They should have lost that clippers series and that's with cp3 missing two games.

Stormy1234 and FTW Rockets FTW like this.
  13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Why isn't Harden a good leader? I do t understand this narrative. He's not the perfect leader.

With the exception of Tim Duncan I can find faults for every great leader of the NBA of the past few decades.

14. brewer's goat

brewer's goat Member

I don't think you've actually read what And1redux said.

Kawhi and Durant didn't commit 6.4 turnovers per game. They all had better AST/TOV ratio than Harden in January. Also, they are playing excellent defense this season.

He's refuting Mathloom by pointing out that it's ridiculous to call a player who didn't shoot particularly well, averaged more than 6 TOVs/game, and played bad defense the best player in the world. And the moment Kawhi and Durant does that, they also should be criticized. Harden is no exception.

Ask anyone outside Houston. Harden wasn't simply the best in January. He didn't even win the POTM award. Only serious homers disagree with that statement.

#114 brewer's goat, Feb 16, 2017
  15. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Bbhollic has gone full harden hater mode

16. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I did read, your not reading mine.

I realize he play under par for his standards. And he didn't play better than everyone in January.

What I dialogues, was other players have slumps and bad stretches.

It's alwaaaaaays about turnovers. No one cares when he's killing it and turning it over. Go through a bad stretch? That's the reason. It's been going on all year not just January.

I just don't think your reading what I'm posting.

MVP isn't determined in January, or October, or February. It's an award based on the season, in which James Harden has clearly been the best player in the world. You can just keep pointing at the bad month and say he won't win MVP, b3cause you could pick any flipping player and point to a bad stretch if you want to.

He had a bad stretch in January, as did his two choices which is what i pointed out.

I think it's painfully fuucking obvious if he doesn't shoot well, doesn't defend and turns it over a lot he won't win MVP.

But then there is Westbrook who is standing right there at the forefront doing exactly that all year.

oakdogg likes this.
  17. And1redux

And1redux Member

For the 100th time, I specifically mentioned that Harden still has a good chance at the MVP. My only problem was with this Mathloom guy claiming that Harden was the best player in the world in January, which even you admitted was not true. And I've said numerous times that Westbrook is overrated and Harden has been better this season. In my opinion, the only player who might legitimately deserve MVP over Harden is Kawhi.

BigMaloe likes this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

Lol. That isn't what I am inferring. How predictable is our offensive. I
    True, i am not sure how much harden can improve - really the only knock on him at this point is Effort on D. He doesnt need to be awesome at D but he has to come with a better attitude than, I'll get the point back. Especially when he has a turn over.

20. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

We might be able to scare them though in a series if Gordon is in form- if we got hot I could see us taking them to 6...would be funny to see us make them squirm.

Tha_Dude likes this.