1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin McHale on 610 today talking Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fair enough, but so what? you're just attacking McHale the person . . . how about his argument that James is not yet quite there as a leader? evaluate his argument on its merits, not on your personal dislike for MacFail

yixiixiy and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  2. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

MDA is a better coach and fit for Morey's offensive philosophy than McHale not doubt. McHale does have good points about Harden's overall leadership and Harden does need to continue to improve in this area. Harden has improved it appears some in leadership this year but it needs to continue to improve (leading by example by hustling on both ends of the floor, cutting down the TOs, etc.)

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

Where did you hear this? Was it in a book or newspaper or what? I always thought he played hard in games I saw.

4. mrm32

mrm32 Member

What is he basing this on? It's not like he's in the locker room. Being a leader is more than just yelling at your teammates out on the court and playing angry, Kevin.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Actually, he was attacking McHale the player. And he's right. It's well documented that McHale gave up on Fitch. That's a player/leadership thing. Bird wasn't a huge fan of McHale. Where McHale did give great effort on defense, Bird called him a black hole on offense.

Anyhoot...I like McHale more than most here. I was surprised to hear him sound somewhat bitter like that.

James leads just as much as champions like Wade, Nowitzki and Curry do/did.

Yes, I'd love to see him fockass on defense, so others will follow him more like they followed Bird, who wasn't gifted on defense. But, sheesh, obviously Wade, Nowitzki and Curry have proven that you can win without being a leader in effort on both sides of the court in the classic sense of the word.

But man, why does Harden attract such vitriol that Wade, Nitwitz and Curry don't. And then we have Nash the Leader, too.

anyhoot, not that fun of an argument for me. I'm out. Maybe read this thread later, when it hits 14 pages, and I'm bored. :p:eek::cool:

#25 heypartner, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    D-rock, BigMaloe, Tha_Dude and 2 others like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

His opinions are biased, and I don't know that someone that had their leadership and effort questioned is the right person to claim that leadership is something someone is born with, and the inference being that Harden wasn't born with it and will never have it.

There are very few "great leaders". Is Chris Paul a leader? Is Russell Westbrook a leader? What about LeBron James?? For years I heard that LeBron melted at the biggest moments in games? What about Steph Curry after the playoffs melt down last year? Is Kevin Durant?

Does James need to be better in transition defense? Absolutely, but that isn't really "leadership", I can find flaws in almost every single players game, that someone can label as leadership issues. Honestly it all sounds like an excuse by McHale because he is bitter that the Rockets did the opposite of what McHale advocated, and the Rockets are on pace to win 57-58 games.

Let me ask you this........how about a situation where a team is coming off of a terrible season, loses their all star center, gets a new coach.... and the best player on the team is asked to carry a bigger load, the best player on the team meets with and practices with his teammates during the summer.... the best player remains optimistic about the season.... and the team is on pace for 57-58 wins........ that sounds like "leadership" to me.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

at the same time you believe he's a complete leader as of this moment? If so, what are you basing that on? it's not crazy to believe harden still has plenty of room to grow as a leader

8. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I hate it when people disqualify someones arguments because their bias towards the person making the argument. With that logic none of us even deserve to have opinions because we didnt win a championship.

9. Nook

Nook Member

I remember it being discussed at the time, and later I saw an interview with KC Jones where he discussed the issues with McHale..... FWIW the player with the best leadership traits on the Celtics of the Celtics (if you believe Larry Bird and Red Aurbach) was a player that no one talked about... a reserve named Jerry Sichting; who used to lead the second unit during practice and regularly beat the first unit with Bird and McHale.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah... good thing I am not doing that.

Richie_Rich and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Every single "leader" in the world has "room to grow"..... let me know when McHale starts questioning the leadership of other players as good as Harden.

D-rock and Richie_Rich like this.
  12. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

We have Egordon as a play maker, the problem is harden wont defer. I dont disagree we need more play makers but Harden doesn't always let play makers be play makers when he is on the court with them.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

not sure why he needs to question the leadership of other players when the topic is Rockets

14. Daddy Long Legs

Thats a different argument. And dont be defensive: i never accused you of doing that.

15. Daddy Long Legs

Meant to respond to this one. Remember that I never accused you specifically of doing that. I also havent taken a position on mchales claims yet

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I think they're bullshit and very lazy. Anyone who's been watching knows James plays D now and their is no question he is the leader; the team and coaches look at him in that manner. He's also embraced it and came into camp in great shape. very passive aggressive and honestly who cares what he says, he failed with harden.

D-rock and Richie_Rich like this.
  17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yes, Harden does those things sometimes.

But you cannot seriously make an argument that for him to be the leader of a championship team, he has to be the most flawless player in the history of the game. Which is what he would be. If Harden was a good defender and turned it over only 3-4 times while still dishing it out 12, scoring 29 on 19 shots and grabbing 8 rebounds, we would be discussing whether he is the greatest player to ever play the game. It's NOT true that if we don't win it all, it's because of Harden.

The totality of what James Harden does - including turnovers and defense - is equal to the best player in the world this regular season according to the same people who crown the best players every year. Can he be better than the best player in the world? Sure, he can improve. It's the least of my worries though. And McHale is not the person who has the key. He rode Harden and Morey to a few good seasons then when he had to do some actual "players' coach" coaching, he failed. He had Dwight and Harden, and he couldn't motivate Dwight to do what's best for the team. That was HIS job. That's what coaching players is about. Instead he acted like the shitty high school teacher who blames students for not learning.

We need to put better players around Harden. That's what we need to focus on. He is doing more than his part. It's not on him, it's on the front office. Get us an elite defensive player who is respectable on offense. That's what we need.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He didn't say anything I disagree with.

His point about the turnover issue is true. Harden turns it over and a lot of times he never shows up on the tv screen again until he's getting the inbound pass after the other team scores. The turnovers in general are a major sore spot. He has too many of them, he doesn't put in enough effort after them and he doesn't seem to hold himself accountable for them either.

It's also interesting that he fought McHale on playing off the ball.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Give me a list of other players that McHale has questioned the leadership of?

I will save you the time of digging for it....... you won't find many.

So the idea that Harden can improve as a leader is irrelevant, anyone can improve their leadership. Do you hear McHale questioning the leadership of all the other elite players? Of course not, because that isn't what McHale was doing.... he was taking shots at Harden.

McHale was taking passive aggressive shots at Harden and the Rockets.... I wonder why?

Deuce and Richie_Rich like this.
  20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Mchale wasn't wrong with what he said.

He was a garbage coach though.