1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin McHale doesn’t think James Harden is a leader

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Oct 6, 2017.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I think McHale is a bad coach, but I always appreciate guys who just tell it like it is.

I think people aren't used to things not being sugarcoated nowadays. Maybe Kevin McHale needs a trigger warning.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Pretty sure it was 15-16 not 16-17 that harden didn't make all NBA teams

3. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

McHale feels like he's the smartest guy in the room for once.

4. onreego

onreego Member

I clapped.

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

so what, being a leader doesn't mean you win games. I don't think Durant is a leader, nor is Curry or Thompson, I think their leader is Draymond Green who keeps everyone together.

Some players just doesn't have the personality, it's fine, just play great basketball.

ApacheWarrior and RocketsTruth like this.
  6. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

ESPN, Bleacher Report and TNT are one in the same when it comes to their harden hate

this is why i was so happy harden did not address trump and media day

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  7. Mr. Space City

if i was a rockets player and harden told me to play harder on defense i would look at him like

[​IMG]

8. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

Draymond Green is def the warriors leader, thats why he gets to yell and curse refs whenever he plays. Gets away with fouls. Because adam silver has instructed refs to keep him on the court as much as possible

When Draymond is off the court the warriors defense is no better than the orlando magic

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You're either intentionally misunderstanding or over-simplifying the point, then.

I agree that Curry and Thompson and Durant are all beta pansies. Draymond is the leader of that team.

So - the point is that teams need a leader. Seems like you agree with that.

We haven't really had that (I mean, Jason Terry....?) but that's why we're so fortunate to have Paul as a complement to Harden now. Maybe "being a leader doesn't win you games", but HAVING a leader sure does.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

James Harden does not think Kevin McHale is a leader.

split41, Nook, ApacheWarrior and 12 others like this.
  11. illwil29

illwil29 Member

This would be the second time.

12. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

McHale said last year he thought harden could not play pg, and what did harden do... only lead the nba in assists. Harden gets screwed so much by the media and voters when it comes to awards

13. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Lynn McFail

Stormy1234 and 34to11 like this.
  14. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

McHale is trying to get in Harden's head, but the problem with that is. Harden is not Dwight Howard. You are not gonna get in Harden head, he is a stoic guy for the most part. The way the media has gone after harden the past few years would have destoyed the confidence of a dwight or tmac type of personality. The media has never been able to make Harden crack. And it bothers them

look at them putting cp3 above harden on their espn rankings, after the season harden just had to try and cause a power struggle on the team.

The media has it out for Harden. and i think its because Harden despite not getting any awards has more career points than curry despite coming off the bench the first 3 years of his career

15. Nivos

Nivos Member

Im actually allright with what Mchale said.
    He's right.
    He's still the best player on the team, but he was never a leader. Ariza took that role last year, and Paul will take it now.
    I think Harden will be happy to give that role, but I'm still not sure if he will be willing to work off the ball, and it frustrates me a bit.
    If you're not willing to do the little things as the best player, how do you expect the others to do so?

16. basketballholic

Nothing to see here folks. McHale simply saying what I told you for the last three years. And Shaq must be @dobro1229 repeating the same old tired broken argument that Harden can't play with a real pg. McHale making my point that up until Paul Harden didn't want to play off the ball.

I'm just glad all that's over and we can move on to real championship aspirations with multiple playmakers.

My only question is what will happen to these guys when the pressure is high? Paul is a bulldog. We know he's going to nut it up. Will he have that same impact on Harden? Hopefully so.

BTW, McHale was one of my sources when he was coach. I wasn't pulling the things I said about Harden out of the air. This is exactly how he felt while he was coaching Harden and he expressed it privately. I happened to have a good contact that carried his golf bag around the course multiple times a week.

You should hear what McHale had to say about Dwight. Not pretty.

malakas and hakeem94 like this.
  17. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

remmeber when Shaq named Harden shaqtin a fool, after harden was screwed from all-nba..

Shaq and mchale make me sick

18. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Westbrook played quantifiably less defense than Harden last year and had a considerably higher usage rate.

Why is no one saying these types of things about him?

split41, Nook, BMoney and 4 others like this.
  19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Having a leader is overated, talent rule in this league, other stuff is just fluff. Even if everyone on the Warriors were mutes they would still spank this league. Time and time again the best team is the most stacked team regardless of "leaders" .

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Forgot how to play basketball? He was probably exhausted from carrying his team all year (and being a club rat who doesn't get the sleep he needs during the season certainly exacerbated it.) Kevin McHale made one of his few good (maybe one of his only) decisions as a Rockets coach when he benched Harden that game.

Because Russ puts up ball-hog robo-stats and is with Nike.

Oh, wait, was that a rhetorical question?

hakeem94, Drogba and 34to11 like this.