1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justin Verlander: "The American League goes through us"

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by FLASH21, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It may be true but the Washington Redskins said the same thing season before last after winning the division prior. They finished last in the division. lol. Just be humble.

2. Buck Turgidson

awc713 and Nook like this.
  3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Remember Glavine, Smoltz, Maddux, Neagle/Avery only won one... gotta fight hard from beginning to end

4. Buck Turgidson

Palmer, Cuellar, McNally, Dobson only won 2. The Big Red Machine only won 2. The late 80's A's won 1.

Just sayin'.

5. Major

Major Member

Certainly - playoffs have a huge element of luck. The Astros this year were a hit or two away from losing to the Yankees and Dodgers. The best team generally has no more than a 30% chance of winning the World Series. But regular-season wise, those Braves were the clear best team year-in and year-out for a long time. Combine that level of pitching staff with the best offense in baseball and you sort of have the Astros.

raining threes likes this.
  6. TheresTheDagger

7. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

It runs through the defending champion until further notice.

The Astros run differential had them at 101 wins, exactly where the finished. Even accounting for regression (Gonzalez and Keuchel), a full season of Verlander (and no Mike Fiers) along with Correa playing a full season and Gerrit Cole (if we can pull a Morton on him) could get us all the way to 105 wins.

However, Cleveland had the differential of a 114 win team.

The Yankees had the differential of a 104 win team, and added a 7 WAR player.

I wouldn't be surprised if we can make another two Fall Classics by 2021, at the same time it wouldn't surprise me if the Yankees win the next 4 titles.

8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I agree, though in his defense there is a big difference between winning the division and winning WS. :)

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I am so impressed with the focus of the guys on this team. They're not playing around. I'm not sure I can recall a team that won a championship that starts preparing for the following season with a chip on their shoulder. It's awesome.

Nook and texans1095 like this.
  10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I have a (probably) unpopular opinion on this matter. This "goes through so and so" is a narrative I dont buy. Every team starts the season with 0 wins and 0 loses. What they did the previous year doesn't give any team a starting advantage.

Yea, one can speculate to death which teams are more likely to win it all. Fine. But to say the American League goes through us, or anyone else is a non sequitur to me.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

While every team is 0 and 0, odds are really good that whoever plays in the World Series for the AL will have played in Houston either as the home team or the road team during the playoffs. So while it is a narrative, it is most likely correct.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Two or three other AL teams can make the same claim.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not while being the defending champs, they can't.

I would have been fine with the Indians saying that going into last season... just like the Royals said it the years before.

The Astros are clearly the top dog this year (based on win projections, Vegas odds, roster makeup/additions, etc), and they're coming off the best season in franchise history as it is.

If Cleveland, NY, or Boston tries to make that claim right now... its laughable (even if any of those teams could definitely win it all). The Astros making that claim now... makes far more sense.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I suppose it comes down to how you define "going through us". If its as Joe Joe said, being that other teams will have to beat us in the playoffs to get to the WS, than I stand by my comment. We will have to beat them as well. If your trying to rank the field, sure, we are the favorites. But keep in mind that every WS winner has seen themselves as the favorites to win the next year also and none of them have been able to do it (win BTB WS Championships) in the 21st century.

Holding the title WS Champs is nice indeed. But no one can claim to know in advance that the AL champs for 2018 will be us or that they will even have to beat us in the playoffs to get there.

So in my mind, what team has to go through who to get to the WS wont be decided for several months. And making any claim otherwise is pure homerism or speculation.

#34 jim1961, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I love his confidence and I can't argue with him. It'll be tough, though. I still have to pinch myself when I think about the Astros winning the Series. All the great players we had going back to the beginning and it took this long to make it. I'd flip out if we won it all again. Maybe we will. After all, the Rockets managed to do it. Go Astros!

17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Doubtful. Too many good AL teams.

19. Buck Turgidson

Okay then.

When they're talking **** in April let me know.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think you've taken this whole thing just a tad too literally.

He's basically saying they're the favorites... he's not guaranteeing a repeat championship.

Also, not every WS winner is the favorite to win the following year... in fact most aren't for a variety of reasons (payroll reasons, key subtractions, overachieving during the WS year, etc.).