1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justin Anderson of Virginia

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by NBAphenom, Apr 30, 2015.

1. NBAphenom

NBAphenom Member

Justin Anderson 2015 NBA Draft Scouting Video - Strengths

[YOUTUBE]DynNLqxo1ZM[/YOUTUBE]

Justin Anderson 2015 NBA Draft Scouting Video - Weaknesses

[YOUTUBE]SQ2NzcBNr8w[/YOUTUBE]

2. finsraider

finsraider Member

Somebody explain what I'm missing here.

Elite athleticism and length. Already has an NBA body. Shot 45% from 3 on 4 attempts per game. Has big time defensive potential.

All the mock drafts have him going in the mid-20s, but his profile looks like a lottery pick. If he's there at #18, I say take him and don't look back.

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

I agree- this good looks great. Like what Pap should have been.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

this guy has been my sleeper pick. looks like a great fit. i don't believe the tyus jones smokescreen for a minute.

i think the reason he's ranked so low is his age and upside. he's basically a 3&D player right now but there he will stay. you can find at least 15-20 players in this draft that at least have a CHANCE at being more than that. most teams are willing to roll the dice on someone else.

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

I see 3 & D as his FLOOR, which is one reason I'm high on him. If he ends up Ariza-Lite, I'm fine with that.

He has athleticism that Ariza doesn't have. He can go up and get the lob. I've seen him cut across the paint similar to Ariza, but with more explosiveness.

All that, and he plays the 2nd most in demand position in basketball….SF.

6. Chamillionaire

I like him too. This draft is deep. We got CC at 25 last year so I'm really excited to see if we can turn 18 and 32 into.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'd be happy if we got him

8. da_juice

da_juice Member

Any chance this guy falls to 32?

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

Don't think so. I think he's one of those guys sliding under radar that goes in the mid-teens when everyone thought he would go in the mid-20s.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I can see why he's projected late teens or later.

Has size but at the same time a tad short for SF.
    Decent FG% but at the same time not an elite scorer (offensive scheme not withstanding)
    Has athleticism but not superior ball handling and doesn't appear to have "quick-twitch" speed. More of a dude can jump really high, move laterally athleticism. But doesn't jump super fast.

He seems smart, is a hard worker and has lots of things going for him. He should be able to craft a long role playing career in the NBA if that continues. Lower picks have turned out to be great players - see Jimmy Butler, somewhat of a comparable. But for now he seems a tad more PJ Tucker than anything.

11. Omer

Omer Member

I went to UVA and have seen Justin Anderson since his freshman year. He's a very smart, unselfish, team-oriented and defensive minded player. He is strong and athletic but doesn't always know how to use those attributes to effectively and consistently to get to the rim. Because he was able to get by with his size and athleticism in high school and college, I still think he has a lot of potential for improvement with continued work and effort. The downside is that he is not a good ball handler and only had one really good year shooting the three ball.

That being said, I would love to have him on the Rockets.

12. finsraider

finsraider Member

Thanks for the informed input. Like most players, I think Justin can excel in the right system. I think the Rockets would know what to do with him.

13. Omer

Omer Member

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/badzU423LrM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

Kid can shoot. I'd be very happy it he was our #18 pick.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NBADraft?src=hash">#NBADraft</a> Justin Anderson's 3FGM / 3FG% improvement, last two seasons at UVA:

Sophomoe: .8 3FGM / 29.4% 3FG%
    Junior: 1.8 3FGM / 45.2% 3FG%</p>&mdash; NBA Draft (@NBADraft) <a href="https://twitter.com/NBADraft/status/613415066751401984">June 23, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. finsraider

finsraider Member

Really like this kid. Him and Oubre have good chances to be solid bench players or starters.

17. da_juice

da_juice Member

Honestly, I think he's the perfect fit for us although Morey uses goes for BPA. He doesnt have a high ceiling, but he'd be a great 3 and D role player. Imagine 48 minutes of Ariza on the floor.