1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justice Dept. to Take On Affirmative Action in College Admissions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pirc1, Aug 1, 2017.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/...l?referer=&from=groupmessage&isappinstalled=0

this should be interesting

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration is preparing to redirect resources of the Justice Department’s civil rights division toward investigating and suing universities over affirmative action admissions policies deemed to discriminate against white applicants, according to a document obtained by The New York Times.

The document, an internal announcement to the civil rights division, seeks current lawyers interested in working for a new project on “investigations and possible litigation related to intentional race-based discrimination in college and university admissions.”

More at the link.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting indeed. We should all be against racial discrimination so in theory we should all support measures to eliminate it wherever it exists....but I have a feeling some will be very against eliminating certain instances of racial discrimination due to which group benefits and which group is discriminated against.

Perhaps I'm just a pessimist when it comes to these things, we'll see.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

White men rejoice, white privilege is making a comeback. Back to the 1950's.

4. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Check your privilege kiddo.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Contrary to a lot of what folks believe white students, specifically white women, will find themselves on the short end of the stick. The game is already rigged against asians, there won't be an excuse to deny them admissions.

Definitely not what the motivated parties are expecting.

JayGoogle, amaru and B-Bob like this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Another ignorant take. It's not discrimination it's representation, based on the belief that college demographics should mirror the demographics of society as a whole. It's why Asians get screwed the most while white women benefit the most.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm shocked to hear that you support racial discrimination in instances like these. Absolutely shocked. What's next? Will water be wet?

Astrodome likes this.
  10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'm also not shocked that you couldn't comprehend a single thing that I said. Are you gonna come up with another dumb analogy like that TX weather one you made 2 days ago?

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh I understood what you were saying, I just don't accept your excuse for racial discrimination as a valid one. Let's face it, no one else would accept that excuse if it were to justify racial discrimination against certain other groups of people.

The problem here is that I'm consistently against racial discrimination and you aren't. It's obviously your position, so embrace it.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The difference is that the discrimination I am against aims to limit diversity and openness, whereas affirmative action aims to increase diversity.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Based on who's belief?

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Racism should be eradicated. It has no place.

15. conquistador#11

Latinos and African Americans have come a long way in the best country in the world. We don't need affirmative action.

However, the motivation behind these things, like the construction of the wall of the south to keep the army of the brown away, the bills to keep transgenders out of the bathrooms, they don't come from a good place in the heart. The message is concerning and quite petty.

Why not, get rid of affirmative action and make universities more affordable for all WHITEs, HISPANICS, BLACKS and Asians. Fund education even more.

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

That isn't happening under Trump's budget... cuts educational spending by $9 billion.

President Trump's Budget Proposal Calls For Deep Cuts To Education
    http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2017...get-proposal-calls-for-deep-cuts-to-education

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LOL, what does "getting rid of affirmative action" even mean to you? I love it when people say this. Like what actually does it mean? You can't even guess people's race or even think about it? Is it like an element of thoughtcrime? HO w do you plan on enforcing this?

Let's get rid of prejudice/bias , and get rid of affirmative action, and then everything will be fine. Except that the first thing is impossible and has been forever and probably will be forever, and nobody can acutally articulate what the seocnd thing is in practice.

18. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Good. Affirmative action is wrong. I remember reading this article that gives applicants easier admission based on race.
    http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-adv-asian-race-tutoring-20150222-story.html

If colleges want to give admissions to the less advantaged, it should be based on other metrics not related to melanin.

19. amaru

amaru Member

White women will feel the brunt of this.

20. amaru

amaru Member

Will also be interesting to see this fought out in court depending on how far it goes.