1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just How Huge is the Howard Signing for the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Jul 8, 2013.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I couldn't agree more with the hasn't sunk in yet part. I don't know what will do it, but something will.

Omer made this team a real force to reckon with on defense. Imagine how good this team would have been with Omer that could finish at the rim. Double teams galore. Mismatches. Open players on almost every play. Rebounds bouncing our way. Yet, it hasn't sunk in. I don't get it, but it still feels fake.

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

LOL. Lebron is the perfect answer for any team regardless of current roster - you sign him and you automatically increase your odds of winning a title significantly.

3. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Harden-Howard Pick(your poison) & Roll will be unstoppable. Heck, Lin-Howard P&R alone will be tough to stop. They run this play last season with Asik who wasn't even a threat on offense and they were still successful most of the time. Harden could possibly be the top P&R player in the league next season running it with a great finisher in Howard. The Rockets will also lead the league in free throw attempts starting next season, book it.

4. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

There's no other team in the NBA that can offer LeBron a better duo than Harden and Howard. That's just like having a younger version of Wade who's a better shooter to boot and a much more dominant big man than Bosh.

5. acjeitherocket

who is we??

6. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I don't think he needs to go to another super team. Ether he stays, or he goes back to Cleveland to redeem himself - and perhaps there is a small chance he wants to go to LA or NY. I say we have no chance.

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I completely feel the same way man! We had in comparison to the Lakers:

- Less money
    - Less trophies
    - Less rings
    - Less HoF stars
    - Less media love
    - Smaller market
    - Far crappier beach
    - No Hollywood or Beverly Hills

Yet, despite ALL OF THAT, a superstar in arguably his prime, chose us. This was not any sort of trade or superstar looking on cashing in for his first big contract either. This is a superstar who could have gone ANYWHERE HE WANTED, but he chose US. I am still not over how giddy that makes me feel!

8. AFS

AFS Member

Fair enough.

9. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

We'll see. Would be hard for any free agent to say no to a team that has Harden and Howard on it's roster.

10. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm with Mike on this one. I think it's going to be Cleveland. Assuming Lebron can win a 3rd win (or even if he doesn't), I think he's thinking about legacy. The Decision will always be a stain on his career, but if he were to go back to Cleveland and win a ring there? It's like something out of a Disney movie and will immediately become NBA lore.

Cool thread though man, really looking forward to your playoff thread now!

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You should start referring to the Rockets as "we" more often. You know you feel like you are part of the team. You know it. Only the player-fans on here can stop themselves from being "we".

12. basketballholic

This is the reason why Morey wants to move Lin for expiring salary. Asik can always be moved out for a draft pick. So, I fully expect Lin to be traded for expiring salary...or possibly a very good player that can be traded for future second rounders at a different position. Lin is worth more second rounders. The problem is he is playing at a position where there are 17 other guys who play the position very well also and there just aren't very many teams that need a starting PG. So, the first opportunity Morey gets to move Lin for either expiring contracts/draft picks/or a really good player at a different position, he's going to do it. So he can set up the play for Lebron or Melo or Bosh or possibly a trade for one of those or Love or Aldridge. Moving Lin is all about setting up the assets to go after another superstar/star.

I agree with the statement on Lebron. He may not come here just because he doesn't want the image of a mercenary. I really suspect Lebron wants to beat everybody else. He wants to keep his guys and beat Paul and Howard and Harden, Love, Melo, Kobe, etc. He wants to keep beating them all. The problem is what is he going to do if Melo wants to come here?? Does he want to face Dwight/Harden/Melo for the next 5 years or so in the Finals if Melo opts out??? So, Lebron has his own dilemma if that happens.

However, for us...I'll be surprised if we get there. If Morey can get some good assets for Lin and keep Asik and we can blitz through next season to the tune of about a.780 winning percentage, then something is likely to break open on one of these fronts that generates a trade. With the speculation surrounding Melo...that situation bears watching. If the Knicks get the vibe that he is gonna opt out and flip coasts...well, they may just deal him. But they won't be able to deal him just anywhere. Because Melo will be able to walk away from any situation he doesn't like.

Oh, and Miami. What I suspect is going to happen is all 3 guys re-up. Then Riley goes to work making a move to upgrade around Lebron. This gets Lebron off the "mercenary" label hook. Riley takes the blame for breaking up the Big 3. He sends out Bosh for a big time center and a good power forward. That's where Asik and one of our PFs come into play.

So....basically....if Morey can move Lin for the right assets....it's sit back in the weeds and just wait....in predatory mode. No reason to settle by trading Asik for guys like Ryan Anderson. Just wait in predatory mode...for one of the other superstar situations to break. Keep accumulating assets and wait. Turn Lin into assets and wait. Develop Canaan and wait. Keep letting Beverley develop and wait. Re-sign Parsons to a reasonable contract and wait. And while we're waiting..run up and down the court dominating to the tune of about .780-.800

13. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

perfect thread bump for the news