1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith signs with Sichuan Blue Whales [CBA]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by craguin, Nov 8, 2016.

1. craguin

craguin Member

[Sina.com] Sichuan Jinqiang signs American Smith
    CHENGDU,China,Nov. 8 (Xinhua) -- NBA player Josh Smith has been signed by Sichuan Jinqiang to replace injured Mike Harris,said the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA) club on Tuesday. [...]

Harris,the key player in the Sichuan squad,sustained injuries shortly after the season began,and will rest for six to eight weeks,according to the team doctors.
    -----

#1 craguin, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  2. Moahst

Moahst Member

Good for Josh. This was probably the right career move -- go get some dunks and blocks Josh Smith.

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

He's going to ball. Look out Chinese league!

Pen15clubber likes this.
  4. hvic

hvic Member

not bad paycheck

Rocket River likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

off to the Bouncy Whales you go!

Brewer is still in the league and employed.....

Pen15clubber likes this.
  6. Asian Sensation

I'll never forget him dominating the Mavs and pretty much singlehandedly willing us to a win in game 6 against the Clips. Never forget ungrateful Smoove haters.

7. Emtenndo

Emtenndo Member

Great for him.

8. Dei

Dei Member

I haven't followed him. Is he washed up? Maybe the Rockets can get him back?

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Should have been in better shape physically and made more veteran decisions on the court when his career was in the balance.

Appreciate what he gave us. He was definitely a huge part of one of the most memorable Rocket seasons. That was an awesome run.

But I can't help think what a waste of career just because he couldn't identify his own strengths and weaknesses for 10+ NBA years. He would have a longer and more well paid NBA career if he had understood that he could have been a better version of Draymond Green instead of a shitty version of Rasheed Wallace.

Even in his best Hawks days, everyone knew he could have been better and the only thing standing in his way was choices which he was stubborn about.

Good luck Josh!

#Pursuit and Torn n Frayed like this.
  10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Could still be a good NBA player if he would stop jacking up all those 3's. Good defender when engaged and great passer

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

He is likely to ball out in the CBA and Rockets sign him back like we did with Beasley and then trade him for another PG scrub.

All the best to Josh Smith. He did his best and was instrumental in the Rockets reaching the WCF.

BigShasta likes this.
  12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't josh and Dwight play on the same aau team?

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

[​IMG]

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Now that I've gotten a chance to watch him with some regularity, he is probably the most enigmatic player I have ever seen. He had a great knack for seeing the floor, and he was very adept at identifying rotation assignments and just in general knowing where he typically needed to be on both ends. Qualities one would usually attribute to a fairly heady player.

But he often overshadowed it all with a staggering inability to acknowledge his one massive shortcoming

15. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Kawhi have huge hands?

16. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

He's about to go to a whole different level of chucking.

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Interesting how he went from 'streaky 6th man' to 'invisible' on our team the last two seasons.

I kept having to remind myself that he was around. Not sure what happened.

RudyTBag likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

his ceiling with the whales is through the roof

Pen15clubber, alethios and Remlap like this.
  19. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

IIRC, there was some kind of physical aliment that was unreported that cause him not to play. By far the most mercurial player the Rox have ever had, Maxwell would come close but he never had the self-doubt J-Smoov would fall prey to..

napalm06 likes this.
  20. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Good for JSmoove. Guy was injured during the last time we had him, and the fallout with D12 was not a pretty sight. He's a good guy, but with his talent, he belongs in the NBA. I'm sure he'll be a late-season pick-up if he plays well overseas.

#20 Codman, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016