1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Jose Altuve

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by the shark, Aug 29, 2013.

1. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

9 for 18 since getting moved to the 2 spot. Maybe the mental aspect of the game is what was off for him.

I don't think that he is a player that is transcendent or someone that is going to change the make up of the club, but he has potential to be a decent to good hitting second baseman. Fontana still has a little while before he would reach the major league level, and you sacrifice a lot in the order by playing Marwin (unless it's against Yu in the ninth). Altuve can fit into this lineup, and it worth seeing through since we extended him. In the mean time, I feel slightly invested that he gets above .280 :)

2. boozle222

Also, his three multi hit games in September matches his August total... FWIW

3. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

For me, something I notice is his defensive range seems limited. Balls I thought he would for sure get to he always seems to come up a little short.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I heard on the radio broadcast yesterday that Altuve has been focusing going up the middle more recently, and he feels like that's why he's been successful. Said before he was trying to go opposite field too much, and he was late too often.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

6. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

nail on head

its brilliant marketing

7. boozle222

His logic was coming up a little short...

8. Buck Turgidson

Just for laughs, who is the most undeserving All-Star of the past 20 years?

1. Someone on the Pirates
    2. ???
    3. Altuve?
    4. Who?

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Altuve had a reasonable line prior to the all-star break last year and was as deserving as other guys, so the answer is not #3.

.303/.344/.438/.782

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

1. Mike Williams (Indeed for the Pirates, 6.44 ERA at AS break)

11. Buck Turgidson

You're right, was better than reasonable, actually. For some reason the last 3/4 of his career stick in my mind & I forgot how fun he was to watch when he came up.

As far as position players go, Cesar Izturis in '05 would be hard to beat.

12. bobrek

Once again, a base running blunder by Altuve (picked off).

13. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Poor Mike Williams. How many other players have been an all-star one year and so undesirable the next that no team would pick them up? I'd have to assume he's one of few.

14. msn

msn Member

Dude just reached .281 today. I'm pleasantly surprised, too.

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Astros&amp;src=hash">#Astros</a> 2B Jose Altuve had 22 hits in 26 games in August. He has 21 hits in 10 games in September.</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/statuses/377663697998450688">September 11, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I think this recent stretch is water reaching it's level. Like a lot of people I'm not sold on Altuve long term, but he's certainly a better player than the guy who has been posting an OPS in the .500's this year.

He'll need to finish really strong, but maybe he can get that OPS over .700. His fielding this year has been much better. Still sub-par, but hardly the disaster he was last year. Given his contract he's certainly gonna be the starter next year, and this recent stretch has given me renewed hope he may be able to become a capable ML starter.

17. boozle222

Didn't think he would do it this quickly... damn. Seven multi-hit games in games will do that for you though. The 10 runs scored and 5 stolen bases with no caught stealing is also impressive. I am sure he will cool down a little bit, but this production has been off the charts.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I definitely want to see more consistency.

Certainly can't slump like he did this summer. Maybe his grandmother dying was overly stressful. Maybe the Parades crash affected him. Maybe he was trying to do too much.

4 strikeouts in 47 September PAs is very good.

19. msn

msn Member

Well, those things and the lingering leg injury that I don't see folks referencing whilst (correctly) pointing to the baserunning woes.

20. bobrek

Glad to see his hitting picking up, although he did get picked off again last night.