1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jose Altuve

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by the shark, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Nook

Nook Member

It is a static situation and will be for sometime. There is not a single position that is etched in stone. If Castro struggles next year, even he will have Stassi on his back.

Dominguez has had a solid season. His glove is very good, he has flashed pop as well. He needs to walk more to solidify his spot.

2. Niaperzly

Niaperzly Member

Dominguez would be a horrible 2B; he is very slow footed. Anyway, I don't see too many scenarios where Correa ends up at 3B. The reports on his defense this season have all been positive. The only SS defensively good enough in the system to move him off is Villar, and Villar needs to cut down the on the errors and prove he is more valuable than Dominguez for such a scenario to play out. I definitely can't see them moving Correa over to 3B for Fontana considering Correa is the better defender. Thankfully the FO has built up plenty of middle infield depth so there will be plenty of pieces to work with when the time comes.

3. the shark

the shark Member

Carter?
    He swings for the fences every time up and occasionally hits one out.
    Most of the time he strikes out (179 out of 412 ABs)
    His avg is .218

No thanks I'll pass.

4. BullRider

BullRider Member

Altuve has been a tad disappointing this summer. I confess to not being certain he's in the long range plans or not.

5. Major

Major Member

"Occasionally" being 15th in the majors. And, of course, leading the team in RBIs.

6. Major

Major Member

On a side note, Carter has already hit more HRs than any Astro has done in a full season since Berkman (with 29) in 2008. If the Astros can't find a place for him in this lineup, they are doing something wrong.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The strikeouts suck, it is why there is doubt.

The average? Eh... I' can live with a low average if he does other things well (like walk and power which he does). Just has to cut down on the K-rate a bit and his avg/obp/slg will all go up. Just a matter if he can actually improve in that area.

8. the shark

the shark Member

Altuve down to .266

Does he hit over .260 for the season?

I say no

9. msn

msn Member

Such a bummer.

10. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

When will he get dropped down? Makes no sense hitting third.

11. Buck Turgidson

Unless and until they find a better option at DH, hell yeah you hit him 4/5th and just roll with it.

12. boozle222

3-4 thus far on the day. Maybe a fresh month could mean a good start. Him finishing the season strong could be a huge boost.

13. boozle222

I'll set the bar at .280... where do y'all think Altuve finishes? I say over.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Considering he has to get 33 hits in his next 100 at bats to reach .280, I'll go with the under.

15. lemonpie

lemonpie Member

**** that midget

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I've said it before..and it's unpopular opinion I think...but Altuve bothers me. He's a fine player. But he's so drastically overrated for being an average player on a team of bad players here locally that it's silly. Marwin fields that position better than Altuve does.

as an aside...i should have played 2B for the Astros at some point. I'm going to die one day, and it will have never happened. At about 10 years old, I was firmly convinced that was my job to lose.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

This is what bothers me about Porter. I did not realize this had happened:

"Manager Bo Porter took Villar out of Tuesday night's game after he was thrown out trying to stretch a leadoff single into a double in the third inning. Porter spoke to him afterward about the importance of being smart on the bases."

Based on anecdotal evidence and personal observation, Altuve has been thrown out on the bases at a Carlos Lee-esque rate this year and, yet, he has not been pulled from a game to the best of my knowledge.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Really?

Did he injure you in some way?

19. Buck Turgidson

Have you ever been kicked in the nuts by a midget? Of course not, no one has, but that's beside the point.

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Altuve's average is now back up to .274