1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Rocker suspended for 1 MONTH:

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Francis3, Jan 31, 2000.

1. Francis3

Francis3 Member

NEW YORK -- Major League Baseball suspended Atlanta Braves relief pitcher John Rocker until May 1, commissioner Bud Selig announced Monday.

The disciplinary action, stemming from Rocker's racial and ethnic comments in a Sports Illustrated article in December, includes a fine and mandatory sensitivity training. As part of the suspension, Rocker will also be prohibited from participating in spring training and will not be allowed to report with other players. He is essentially barred from major league competition until May 1.

The amount of the fine was not immediately known.

The players' association was expected to file a grievance over the penalty, one of the harshest levied against a player for an action not related to drug use. A grievance would force the matter before Shaym Das, the sport's new independent arbitrator.

With the season to start April 3, the suspension technically is to last 28 days.

"Major League Baseball takes seriously its role as an American institution and the important social responsibility that goes with it," said Selig. "We will not dodge our responsibility. Mr. Rocker should understand that his remarks offended practically every element of society and brought dishonor to himself, the Atlanta Braves and Major League Baseball.

"The terrible example set by Mr. Rocker is not what our great game is about and, in fact, is a profound breach of the social compact we hold in such high regard."

The 25-year-old pitcher was barred from joining the Braves at spring training. A high-ranking baseball official, speaking on the condition he not be identified, said the commissioner's office did not want Rocker to report with other Braves' pitchers and catchers, thus minimizing the number of media descending on Kissimmee, Fla., when camp opens Feb. 17.

The pitcher was ordered by Selig on Jan. 6 to undergo psychological tests, but the results of those tests have not been disclosed

I think that he should be suspended longer than that. He is a complete b**** that needs help.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

On one hand I disagree with the suspension. It's not anywhere close to right that he says those things, but his punishment would have been is treatment at each game, and in the clubhouse.

On the other hand, both the MLB and the Atlanta Braves have to A.) Make their fans happy, and many wanted him suspended, and B.) He not only made general ignorant comments about minorities and foreigners (bad enough), he described teammates in the same way. I know if I did that at my job, I'd probably be fired, not suspended.

Oh well, I'm just happy I won't have to watch his nervous ass pitch for a while.

3. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

I think Rocker made a total ass of him self when he made those coments and if I were the Atlanta Braves I would release him. But he is a good picher and that is more important to most of these people.

------------------
    ~John~
    The Bull Is Back!!

4. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I think it is a disgrace ... make that two disgraces. Rocker's comments were the first one and his suspension is the second.

If friggin' BASEBALL is so in tuned with the heart of America, then why are they trampling on someone's right to free speech?

"Major League Baseball takes seriously its role as an American institution and the important social responsibility that goes with it," said Selig. "We will not dodge our responsibility. Mr. Rocker should understand that his remarks offended practically every element of society and brought dishonor to himself, the Atlanta Braves and Major League Baseball."

What a joke. Suspend Rocker, but vote Ty Cobb into the Hall of Fame with a higher percentage of the votes than BABE RUTH!

I'm really torn. I highly value individual rights, but crap like what Rocker pulled is inexcusable. But, the league shouldn't get involved. His team should do something... cut him, trade him, suspend him. But, the league should've stayed the hell out of it. Hell, the best punishment would've been to trade him to a Japanese team ... he'd just love it there.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I was torn as well on this. However, an organization, in this case the MLB, has the right to enforce punishments against employees for things such as this. Now, the government can't come in and arrest Rocker, or fine him for that matter. However, the MLB is almost free to do what it wants in this situation.

Like I said before, if my boss heard me say those things, I'd be fired in a second, especially if it was about another employee, like Rocker did.

6. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

You know who blew it here? The Braves, plain and simple. They should have just cut Rocker's ass the day the story broke.

Let's take RM95's statement a little further. It's not that Atlanta is entitled to fire Rocker for being a dumbass. It's that Atlanta is well within its rights to can a guy who makes inflammatory statements while clearly representing the organization.

If I wrote a letter to the Austin American-Statesman saying I opposed affirmative action because it was legalized discrimination, there'd be no problems. If I wrote that same letter and said I opposed it because I didn't want "Acme International"-- the company I work for-- overrun by "inferior races", I'd be fired before the ink on the letter was dry.

The Braves should have just come out and said simply, "Rocker's entitled to his opinion, but the views he expressed in Sports Illustrated contradict those of our organization. Because our roster is invariably made up of multiple racial and ethnic groups, we feel that Rocker's beliefs make him too great a distraction and disrupt team chemistry. So, he's fired".

I guess Kagy's being idealistic again.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

THUD!!!

That noise was me falling over in my chair when I read Kagy's post.

We agree on something (besides our love for the Rockets and Horns)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

8. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

BK,

I totally agree. But, I still think the Braves should've traded him to a Japanese league team.

RKM95,

Rocker didn't say those comments during a game. He didn't say them in the clubhouse. He didn't say them in a Braves uniform. He was stating his personal opinion, during the offseason in a one-on-one conversation. He didn't know that the reporter would actually write what he said.

Believe me when I say, "I hate what he said". I'm married to a black woman. But, I just don't think the league should've stepped in, in this instance.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

9. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Im Inclined to go with Dreamer on this one. Im 1/2 asian, you know the group he dogged more than once in his statements. I found his comments rude, crass, classless, and downright funny (to think that there are people who still think that way)

But even if he meant it, who is baseball to say: "Hey bud, we don't like your views, your views are wrong according to baseball, your not allowed to think for yourself, and by no means are you entitled to free speach."

As hard as it may of been, baseball would of been best served to stay out of it and let the Braves decide what to do with him.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

My point is, no matter where he said it, he made a comment about a fellow employee. Act like it was the Coca-Cola corporation. He may not have worked at the headquarters of the company (MLB), but he is still an employee of the main company, as well as the subsidiary. They both have the right to do what they want to him, especially because he said it about another employee.

Another thing, why was he giving an interview? Because of his lawnmowing abilities? His bow hunting abilities? It was because of his employment with the Atlanta Braves. So in fact, he was representing the Atlanta Braves as well as the MLB.