1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joe Mixon video

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Houstunna, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Didn't see a thread (merge if necessary), but this incident happened in 2014. Mixon already missed the following season due to suspension, but now, the video has come out... ala Ray Rice. We know things get real with video footage. When I first heard a few days ago, I thought the woman somewhat got what she wanted, but hearing more and seeing the video, Mixon was just too aggressive and kinda went looking for trouble. Also, his interview with authorities was lame when he claimed, "she hit me so hard, I thought it was a man". Dude kept stressing that dumbish.. smh. Shouldn't have played the race card either, damn (if there was no slur).

People are starting to say Stoops might lose his job.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/12/21/joe-mixon-oklahoma-sooners-failed-video

Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon told police in 2014 that "it felt like a dude hit me" when Amelia Molitor slapped him, and that he punched her as a reaction, according to a video The Oklahoman obtained of his interview with police three days after the incident inside a sandwich shop near campus.

In the video, Mixon told police that he heard a racial slur from Molitor's male friend, but not from Molitor. And Mixon admitted that he responded with an anti-gay slur at the male friend.

"The gay dude ... he called me something," Mixon said in the video. "He was like, 'n-----.' So then I was like, 'you got me messed up.' And then I called him a f-g. And after that, the girl, she dropped her purse, that's when she came in my face, pushed me, and then my glasses came off, and then, like, I had, like, jumped at her, like, to watch out. And then she came in my face. I put my head down. And she swung on me.

[​IMG]
    We should have been outraged before the Joe Mixon tape
    On Friday night, when a tape of Joe Mixon punching a woman became public, the outcry was immediate. But the question is: Where was that disgust when the assault first happened?

"And after that, like, I was so shocked, because she hit me so hard. It felt like a dude hit me. And after that, like, my face went boom, my reaction was just right there."

On Friday, Mixon's attorneys released two surveillance videos that showed the punch, which fractured four bones in Molitor's face. Mixon was charged with a misdemeanor at the time of the incident, and the university suspended him for the entire 2014 season.

The City of Norman had shielded the surveillance video from the public since the incident, prompting a lawsuit from the Oklahoma Association of Broadcasters. Earlier this month, the Oklahoma Supreme Court ruled in favor of the broadcasters and ordered the City of Norman to release the tape under Oklahoma's Open Records Act. The city had until Dec. 26 to either release the video or file an appeal. In a preemptive move, Mixon's attorneys released the tape. According to The Oklahoman, the release came around the time of Molitor's graduation ceremony at Oklahoma.

In a formal apology he issued last month, Mixon suggested racial slurs directed at him initiated the incident.

Mark Andrews' face outside the sandwich shop. Mixon said Molitor and Andrews exchanged words and, "After that, the girl, I guess she got scared or what, she went up inside, and she went to talk to the person that I came there with [teammate David Smith], and I guess she knew him or whatever.

"So when she went inside, she was talking about how we were trying to jump her. So that's when the dude [Molitor's friend] went inside, and I followed the dude. That's when I interrupted her, and I was talking to Sooner Dave [Smith], talking about how nobody was trying to jump her, we had no problem with her, she was just being disrespectful, you know ... smoking in my face and acting crazy."

In the surveillance video, Mixon turned away, but he appeared to say something to Molitor's friend. Molitor pushed Mixon. He lunged at her. She slapped him. Then he punched her, which caused her face to slam back into a table.

"I pretty much had a point in the store where we got into it, and I was like, you know, she being disrespectful, I felt like I should have left it alone," Mixon said. "But then once the dude called me the n-----, I mean, it pretty much got my, you know, thoughts off of the whole situation. That's when it just escalated."

According to The Oklahoman, Mixon said the racial slur was not said to him, but about him. A police interviewer called that strange, since Smith -- Mixon's teammate, friend and an African-American -- was sitting at the table.

"I mean, even though she pushed me, I didn't think she was going to hit me," Mixon said. "I was so shocked, because she hit me so hard, it felt like really like a dude hit me. And then, like, my face just started ringing. And after that, like, it was just like a reaction."

Mixon left the sandwich shop immediately after the punch. According to The Oklahoman, several of Mixon's Sooner teammates -- including Michiah Quick, Daniel Brooks and Andrews -- followed.

"I just felt, I was like ... what I got myself into?" Mixon said. "And then once I left, I mean, I felt bad. Even though she hit me and it hurt, I mean, it was just like the fact that you know me, you know, being out of character and, you know, putting myself into a certain situation. I just started thinking about the future and everything else."

In 11 games for the Sooners this season, Mixon has rushed for a team-leading 1,183 yards and eight touchdowns. Oklahoma plays Auburn in the Allstate Sugar Bowl on Jan. 2.

Mixon is a third-year sophomore who is eligible for the 2017 NFL draft.

On ability alone, ESPN NFL draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. on Friday said he'd rank Mixon as his fifth-highest-rated running back, behind Leonard Fournette, Dalvin Cook, D'Onta Foreman and Christian McCaffrey. Mixon, however, did not make Kiper's latest overall rankings at each position.

#1 Houstunna, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  2. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I would be shocked if Stoops lost his job because the AD and President signed off on Mixon's suspension. If Stoops goes, IMO they need to go to.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

We should be outraged that we apparently only care about violence when a man hits a women. The message has been sent, women are perfectly allowed to attack men. Men are sometimes allowed to attack other men. But if a man hits a woman once, his life needs to be totally derailed because of it.

Bennie Anders and Fulgore like this.
  4. Smokey

I believe the outrage is due to his overreaction. I don't think anyone is saying he deserved to be hit or didn't have the right to defend himself. But you are right in that if she had been a he this wouldn't be a discussion - everyone would be saying look the small "tough" guy got knocked out.

5. Newlin

Newlin Member

The amount of force he used against her was much much greater than the force that she used against him. He sustained no real injury. She had broken bones in her face. So, the response he had to her assault on him was just too extreme.

Having said that, I don't really feel sorry for the women. When a person physically attacks another person, they are asking for trouble.

6. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Granted, I am completely biased as an OU alum, but I don't think Stoops will lose his job, at all. I don't think Castiglione or Boren will get canned, either. Mixon served his punishment; whether that punishment was enough, or fair, or just is another conversation, but he likely only has 1 game left in his college career. The NFL will look negatively on that, but the NFL also values talent over character. If the Ray Rice incident would have come to light in his prime, he still would have been on an NFL roster. Mixon is a talented back, so I am sure he will find his way onto an NFL roster, quite easily.

7. juicystream

The force was greater, but also a single blow, that similar to Ray Rice ended up being far more severe because the woman fell over and hit her head. I just wish there was a media focus that you can't be violent towards other people when presented a choice. Walk away. It isn't worth it.

He was unquestionably in the wrong for hitting her, but I was very bothered by this Bob Stoops quote:

"Dismissal is really the only thing that is possible. A young guy having an opportunity to rehabilitate and to have some kind of discipline and come back from it is really not there anymore."

People need 2nd chances, especially kids and young adults.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Uh...I can't believe it only took a few posts for the old "poor men can get abused but can't hit her back!" argument.

This video is the exact reason why the double standard exists. She could have slapped him a million times without breaking a bone. He literally could have killed her with that punch. He broke her face and knocked her out cold. Had she hit that table as she collapsed, Mixon would have faced manslaughter charges.

The difference in force matters. There are rare circumstances where a woman has the ability to similar damage, and in those circumstances nobody would protest. If a woman came out a man with a pipe and he defended himself nobody would think he was wrong. A woman slaps you for calling her friend a slur? You don't get to respond by breaking her face, sorry.

leroy and LonghornFan like this.
  9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

But he clearly stated in the police interview, "(her hit) felt like a man".

10. justtxyank

LOL

Probably never been hit by a man

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The only thing I can figure is he was going for Austin Powers-type irony: "She hit like a MAAN, baby"

justtxyank likes this.
  12. Smokey

She brought a knife to a gun fight.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah posts like that make me remember why I don't venture in here much anymore.

14. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Damn Joe Mixon went Debo on her ass. Very good rb so he will still get a shot at the next level.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I've lost all respect for Bob Stoops. His comments on the matter were disgraceful. He should just admit he made a huge mistake.

16. Nook

Nook Member

He is collegiate head football coach.... he is a scumbag... you shouldn't have had any respect for him to begin with.

macho87 likes this.
  17. juicystream

Why are her actions okay though? She clearly committed assault and battery. I'm sick and tired of that aspect.

Her wrong doesn't negate his wrong, but both should have faced charges. I'm just not going to say once incident makes a person's life.

BTW, she did hit the table, and barring a freak accident or underlying medical problem, no he isn't going to kill someone with a punch.

18. justtxyank

I never said she was right. Proportionality matters though when we discuss a story. She slapped him and was wrong. She should have been forced to leave the bar, or if he was really hurt and felt like he was hit by a man, he should have pressed charges. He didn't though, he broke her face.

My dog poops on your lawn and you burn my house down in retaliation, which one of is the story?

Another Brother likes this.
  19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't buy the notion all college FB coaches are identical.

Yes, overall, it's a dirty profession.

20. juicystream

She should have been arrested as the police were called and the crime is on the video. I don't think it should actually matter how much it hurt or didn't hurt, it is about the intent. It is obvious he should have never gone in the deli after them. He was incredibly stupid.

That is a much larger difference, and I'm not sure that qualifies as even a crime everywhere. This is a story because it surrounds a star athlete. If ones these guys punched me, it would be about as disproportional, but it would be a minor blip, and probably be a one game suspension at most.

The guy lost a year of football (which in college really isn't a problem), but he'll probably lose millions of dollars because he is going to slide severely in the draft, and there is always the chance he goes undrafted because of the video. Honestly, it is much harder to find a good punishment for a young college kid, because missing a year doesn't necessarily hurt them. I wouldn't fault them for dismissing him, but I'd have been disappointed if he never got another opportunity (like Ray Rice).