1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joe Girardi Is Out as Yankees’ Manager

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Sajan, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/26/sports/baseball/joe-girardi-fired-yankees.html

After a decade in the job that included a championship season in 2009, Joe Girardi is out as manager of the Yankees.

The 53-year-old Girardi announced his departure in an emailed statement on Thursday morning, saying, “With a heavy heart, I come to you because the Yankees have decided not to bring me back.” The statement went on to thank everyone from the Steinbrenner family to General Manager Brian Cashman to his coaches and other team personnel, and it concluded with Girardi saying that the “passion and excitement” of the 2017 postseason would “remain in my heart forever.”

In a separate statement, issued by the Yankees, Cashman said that he wanted to thank Girardi “for his 10 years of hard work and service” and that the team had “decided to pursue alternatives for the managerial position.”

This postseason was both exhilarating and painfully disappointing for Girardi and the Yankees, ending in a loss in Game 7 of the American League Championship Series. Two other managers — the Washington Nationals’ Dusty Baker and the Boston Red Sox’ John Farrell — lost their jobs this month after their teams were ousted from the postseason. Girardi becomes the third.

Uhm...Astros taking people's jobs now too...

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Next: "Dave Roberts loses job for losing World Series."

See, those calling for Hinch's head aren't so crazy. ;)

How can the Nats fire Dusty?! How can the Yanks fire Joe?! How can the Sawx fire John?!

Winning is not "enough". 3 of the 6 managerial changes are from playoff teams.

Phillies & Nationals still open.

edwardc and JayGoogle like this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yep, saw that. too bad for Girardi, I think he truly loves the job and loves the Yankees

4. edwardc

edwardc Member

This is the third head coach that made the playoffs that's gotten fired it doesn't make any sense at all.

5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I understand firing dusty baker ... That guy has a reputation for ruining pitching staffs for a reason ... And he keeps on doing it .

Girardi is a good manager . I thought he managed the Yankees well vs us . We just have more talent .

6. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I forget where I read it (I have a hunch it was on The Ringer), but I saw an article that perfectly encapsulated why we are where we are with managerial firings.

It's not so much about a manager making the right in-game decisions anymore or even the results on the field. It's about having a manager in place who can walk in lock-step with the vision the front office has, who will provide opportunities for young and established players in equal measure, and who will keep the clubhouse from staging a revolt.

From all accounts, it's not that Girardi did a poor job managing the team, but he could be surly and he had his own ideas on how the team should be constructed. In today's game, those seem like deal breakers.