1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Job Search Advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by fallenphoenix, May 23, 2018.

1. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Hey guys,

I've been searching for a job for almost 10 months now after quitting my old one, and I have yet to even get a call back on any of the jobs I've sent my resume to.

I'm 28 and have an MBA from Texas State. I've been applying to anything from an admin assistant to intro analyst positions for various disciplines. I have a couple years work experience as analyst for a large tech firm.

What's going on?

Inb4 Texas State sucks and "you shouldn't quit a job without having another job lined up first"

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Have you tried Work in Texas?

https://wit.twc.state.tx.us/WORKINTEXAS/wtx?pageid=JS_POSTING_BROWSE_STATEAGNCY

fallenphoenix likes this.
  3. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Are you applying for jobs that line up with your experience? Employers might be hesitant to even bring you in because you have more experience than required and they may have apprehensions about it thinking you'll leave for something better.

Also - could use a head hunter if you're in some sort of finance role.

fallenphoenix likes this.
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Job searching is a sales/numbers game... the more you contacts and networking you do, the better your odds. I suspect you have been using search engines like Indeed. I'd also suggest going to Between Jobs Ministries like the big one at Northwest Bible Church in Spring.

http://www.nwbc.org/betweenjobsministry

Don't get too wrapped around the axle that its a church or a church jobs ministry. They will welcome everyone, and again, its networking that is a solution to your problem. They also offer resume help and job search strategy. You will develop a job search plan. You might even join a small group of job searchers that will help motivate and force accountability in your search. Worst case, people to talk with who know exactly what you are going through and a place to go once a week. Donuts and coffee too. Give it a shot.

I'd also suggest networking groups in your job field. I know there is a big Marketing networking group in Houston... suspect there is one in Finance as well. Make sure you are joining groups on LinkedIn.

Also, identify a top ten list of companies you want to work. Doesn't matter if they have an opening... just the companies you want to work. Research them, what they do, who they sell too, who works there. Become an expert on what they do... and then send a cover letter and resume to the decision maker... explaining what you would do if you worked there. I got a job at Sun Microsystems by walking past their campus and talking to people I saw.

Make sure you have a killer resume. Lots of available resources to do that, and there was a guy on ClutchFans that did that for a living.

Good luck!

5. body slam

body slam Member

You can not find a job or you can not find a job you want?

Is there something wrong with taking a lesser job? Does it look bad on the resume?

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

https://www.linkedin.com/in/dandorotik

Severe Rockets Fan likes this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Dan is a good dude and has taken care of many Clutch brehs before.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

An improved resume was the biggest thing for me. I used Dan.

Severe Rockets Fan likes this.
  9. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Dan did my resume as well. He’s good. And I have a field most people are clueless on.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

USE DAN

I'd also suggest at least signing up for LinkedIn Premium. You get the 1st month free and it's only $30ish/mo after. It gives you easier and more direct access to the hiring managers. No one is going to hire a MBA as an admin assistant. You will leave in a relatively short amount of time and they'll have to start over.

11. jbasket

jbasket Member

If/when I look for a new job, I'm def gonna hit up Dan.