1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JJ Watts Tibial Plateau Fracture update

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaDakota, Oct 8, 2017.

1. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Chester Pitts was just on Sports Sunday here in Houston.
    This is the type of injury he had.
    Said that if the break is below the joint to where it is in the bone he can come back but if it is where the cartilage is it will probably never be the same because the cartilage and nerves can't be regenerated yet in sports medicine.
    Will always be swelling up.
    That's the type Chester had that effectively ended his career.
    Praying for a good prognosis for J.J.!

red5rocket likes this.
  2. theh

theh Member

Yea. Up there with the announcement of Yao being done for the season as we were about to eliminate the Lakers.

3. Malaya

Malaya Member

If I were JJ, I'd seriously think of retiring. His body is giving out. Follow Yao's example. Think of your future.

Team has to plan for a future without JJ.

Cstyle42 likes this.
  4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

If you understand Houston sports you shouldn't be surprised. The man has put his body through hell for all the years we relied on defense. He had a huge back injury that he recovered from. I respect his fight but as far as consistently playing from this point forward it's over for him.

juanm34 and Kendrick Lamar like this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Probably need to get a better report on the severity before I suggest retirement.

From what I gather this could be a few weeks, or nearly career ending. This isn't like Yao, JJ doesn't have some laundry list of foot/knee problems. If this were a chronic issue then yes, but this could just be a fluke injury.

Just hope for the best, of all the players I have ever seen succeed at a high level, no player has matched is overall work ethic, and his almost impossibly pristine public image. He got a massive contract, and immediately set out to try and over perform it.

CallMeTheDream and red5rocket like this.
  6. conquistador#11

Watched the game with my sister who doesn't even like eggball and she was sad. It's terrible that this had to happen to great guys like watt, Merciless, baby carr and eric berry. You get over one injury only to get boggled down by another.
    Gronk and Odell too.

7. Fantasma Negro

[​IMG]
    Dez had the exact same injury and was back in three weeks, I give J.J. five

Mr. Clutch and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. Normalus

Normalus Member

I believe there's a big difference in recovery timetable between 220lbs wide receiver & 300lbs big men that gets pressure to his knees on every snap. Definitely not 2 weeks between them.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yes, there are differences in body types... but its not like Dez doesn't utilize his knee to achieve elite speed/athleticism at a position where those factors are just as important (if not moreso).

Watt had the perfect combination of speed, strength, and athleticism prior.... some of that took a hit with the back, and now its a concern whether more of it will take a hit with the knee... but even then, if the joint is structurally sound, and not at risk of getting worse, that's more of what they'll look at to whether or not its safe for him to play.

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

JJ was not JJ before the injury. His back surgeries have taken a toll. He was out there but hugely ineffective. No sacks, few if any tackles. I think this is the end of a spectacular but short career.

11. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Regardless of what happens...I hope this guy has a role with the organization for the rest of his life.

BigM likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Actually he was still getting quite a bit of pressure on the QB.

I don't think he will ever be what he once was. In his prime only Lawrence Taylor was as dominant.

Guy is a Hall of Famer if he never plays again.

Yet another guys career wasted.

gatsby likes this.
  14. tobster

tobster Member

Absolutely. If he manages the relief money that was raised in an efficient manner then I'd love to see him replace Rick Smith. Wishful thinking? haha

15. texian

texian Member

Depends on severity.

The more you move to the right, the more likely it's a career ender.

[​IMG]

tamericus likes this.
  16. HstnSprtsFan101

Such a shame. Almost don't wanna see the guy come back and just keep going down..

Lamarr Houston is visiting the Bucs today, if he leaves without a contract I feel like he'd be a good fit here.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

JJ is once of the good guys and we need more of them in the NFL. Hoping for the best.

Big name who under produced on some bad bears teams but if he's healthy he's not a bad get. Contract must stipulate he's not allowed to celebrate and dance.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't want him to have a role he might fail at. Give him something he can't fail at so you never have to part ways with him.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. Fantasma Negro

This is the worst thing I've ever seen. I mispoke and I apologize. This is a career altering injury, he will never be the same player. I hope he's on good drugs, I feel terrible for the guy