1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JJ watt injury

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Fantasma Negro

Damn, might be looking at Dunn and Blackson then

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

what high draft picks?

King1, Nook, Ottomaton and 1 other person like this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I expect JJ to retire.

DD

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  4. Fantasma Negro

Not only that, I expect a pregnancy announcement soon. JJ is done and transitioning on into the next chapter. If he plays again its probably one more season so he can walk off the field

Also, looks like we're not making a trade

5. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

We also need WR help if sorry ass Fuller keeps tearing his weak body

juanm34 likes this.
  6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

LOL man, hot-take central after this injury. These aren't all from you and some of these are sports-radio caller topics, but let's take a look:

Not as effective as he used to be ... (All-pro team last year, constantly double teamed)

Pregnancy announcement coming soon ... (not even married yet, though I know that doesn't matter, and his girl is a 27 yo pro athlete herself so I doubt she's in a rush to start having kids)

One more year as a victory lap ... (highly doubt he's going to walk away without exhausting every chance at a Super bowl, so long as he's effective)

Just look at Andrew Luck ... (I'd consider this if this were an injury that were harder to come back from, like the back or leg injury he had previously, but again I don't think this injury is going to be what moves him toward retirement)

I could of course be wrong about all of this, but at age 30, I think in his head he thinks he has 4-5 years left, realistically probably more like 2-3

Nook and Mr. Clutch like this.
  7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Still hatin with a win losing Watt and winning.

If secondary stabilizes they will compete

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

He started on a second year franchise and with its failed regime. Kubiak had to start from scratch

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Looking forward to President Watt. Wonder who will be on his ticket.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

JJ Watt is not retiring......lol. Especially with Money left on his contract.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Nook likes this.
  12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Watson is barely 24. Our window will be open as long as Watson is playing.

We have holes to fill and sending out more picks should be out of the question now.

#72 sammy, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    Pringles and waytookrzy079 like this.
  13. Fantasma Negro

When JJ first got drafted, he said that he didn't have time to date and that after he retires he'll plenty of time for relationships. A couple injuries later he's got a girlfriend and he's about to get married. My mentioning a pregnancy announcement was to signal a shift in his personal priorities. I could give a **** less about his personal life. JJ has been on the same injury Ferris wheel that Luck was on. In the last four seasons, out of a possible 64 games he's only played in 32. JJ is in his eighth season, I don't see him playing past his tenth

Pringles likes this.
  14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

The guy gave the game everything he had. Hall of Fame career.

After his contract is up he should hang it up or go to Green Bay.

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

Meanwhile, since 2016, Watt has had a herniated disk in his back (that was exacerbated), a tibial plateau fracture, a minor knee strain and now this torn pec.

He might have been out the same number of games as Luck, but his injuries are not as severe. He's also doing the hitting, and not getting hit, which I think helps in his decision to come back.

Ultimately, it comes down to if he still has passion for the game and if he's still effective at football. Which, I think he still has passion, despite his marital status. And I also think he can still be effective, as stats have shown even this year.

He might not be 6yrs/100mill effective, but he's still a force.

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I don't really get how any of us would know anything about a shift to personal priorities given that he's performed well even since he got into a relationship.

Had this injury happened last year I probably would have agreed with some of your points. But him putting together nearly 1.5 seasons of all pro play warrants thinking that he can still come back and be good on a cheaper contract.

And the Texans certainly won't be able to replace him in the draft for a couple of years so it's to their benefit to work something out and take the gamble on his health if he'll come back.

17. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Lol Watt isn't gonna retire anytime soon, why is everyone saying this?

Fulgore likes this.
  18. Juxtaposed Jolt

Agreed with this. It's also not like Watt has some chronic injury that keeps getting re-aggravated in the same part of his body nor is he trying to get over an injury that completely limits his effectiveness (i.e. ruptured achilles).

I think people are under the recency effect. A pro NFL athlete who's one of the best at his position calling it quits while he's still young? Uh-oh, Watt is gonna pull a Luck! But I don't think that's going to happen.

19. Pringles

Pringles Member

Perhaps as Texans fan, we are hoping he'd retire? He definitely fits the injury-prone category right now.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Exactly. Very unlucky. He is still young and he was impacting games.

I wanted him to make a run at the career sack total but Smith's and White's numbers are off the charts.

White is 38 ahead of 3rd place Greene