1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JJ Redick calls Chinese fans racial slur

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocketsFan2017, Feb 18, 2018.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

This thread has taken a weird slant.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I'm just checking in to apologize for things I didn't do or things that didn't happen. I'm truly sorry you are upset and know that what I did not do does not represent who I am.

3. likestohypeguy

4. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

5. ths balla

ths balla Member

some of yall are so sensitive its pathetic, my goodness people are triggered by anything these days

ChenZhen likes this.
  6. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly, why don't people ever call out China for their lack of diversity?

malakas likes this.
  7. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

Agreed! Looking at his tone on his original message, his intention is not bad. Can't we all just take Redick's explanation and let his action prove that he is or not a racist before we jump on people for such small things? I think more non-asian social justice warriors are offended than asians are like myself.

8. jbasket

jbasket Member

Real racism is silent.

It's like the not sitting by the black dude on the bus, or picking the asian guy last in sports, or the "I'm not racist, but (insert racist comment here)".

Nowadays you don't see many people just directly going directly with slurs (yes, it still happens of course). This leads me to believe that Reddick did not mean to say that.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So you are saying JJ is wrong for apologizing, because it only serves to make ppl continue to accept and demand unwarranted apologies, thus justifying and appeasing snowflakes and the work of SJWs.

Well then, I demand JJ apologies to anti-apology crusaders for his unnecessary apology.

durvasa, it is a lot easier to just apologize sometimes....and does no harm...especially under this exact situation, but also in general as something all parents should teach their kids, as @Easy shared with us. This is not a topic worth debating, imo. You're coming off looking like someone who only wants to argue for the sake of arguing...tbh.

Easy likes this.
  10. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Lots of overblown responses here.

When I first heard it it sounded like he combined “china” and “thanks” on accident and really did get tongue tied.

Should he have apologized right away? Sure.

On the other hand the reaction against him was so intense (getting death threats? I mean really...) that it would probably piss anyone off seeing that. So he probably logged onto twitter and was like “what the **** man” at all the people crucifying him over getting tongue tied.

So he sent out that initial tweet after getting annoyed.

I think it’s fine in the end because he explained what happened. Which is what I figured all along. And said hey “sorry if it offended anyone.”

He really shouldn’t have to apologize for that. An explanation should be enough. But he’s a public figure so it’s part of the job.

11. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

He doesn't have any history of racism AFAIK. It looked like he slipped up, I really doubt he would say such a thing on camera. Racism exists, but pointing at things like this and calling it racism just undercuts instances of real racism.

12. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

He wrote a racist slur laden email to his ex-girlfriend that was leaked after she supposedly broke his "abortion contract".

D-rock likes this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

peleincubus likes this.
  14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

No, that’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying I think people are wrong to demand he apologize. It is perfectly reasonable and understandable for him to apologize out of self interest to avoid a backlash even if his apology shouldn’t be necessary.

15. omgTHEpotential

Anyone getting tired of the increasing orientalization of the Toyota Center entertainment experience?

16. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Wow, had no idea. Never mind then.

17. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

That's not really true. Race is a real thing, it just doesn't need to be politicized or used in hierarchy. If you ignore race when you are trying to understand medical science, then you are ignoring real biology.

That being said, "race" is just a crude way to define what is really differences in the genome that, as you point out, are vastly outnumbered by similarities. But those differences may be incredibly important if you want to understand who is more likely to respond to or have problems from a certain drug, who is more likely to get cancer and needs to be screened more carefully, who is more likely to die after an asthma attack and needs more aggressive therapy, etc... Race exists, and that isn't a problem. The problem is when we calculate someone's worth by race, or when we identify or fail to identify with others solely because of race, etc..

Race in this sense is taken apart from culture, environment, and a million other things that defines what a person is. It is simply one part of the puzzle, and I agree it should be de-emphasized outside of science.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

#118 durvasa, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    BigMaloe likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Not big on comparing racists but yeah... I can attest that there is a lot of racism in China; a shocking amount. The Japanese are very bad as well but have at least worked on it.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds like a chappelle skit gone bad

AroundTheWorld likes this.