1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jimmy Butler Watch 2018-2019

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockets13champs, Sep 15, 2018.

1. rockets13champs

2. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

so ... every report i've read on the upcoming meeting has "honest conversations about his future with the team" i guess as a quote from the original The Athletic source.

hmm, Butler or Thibodeau, whose "honesty" needs rehabilitation? probably just the wolves trying to pressure/influence the Butler camp but the wording is unfortunate.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Butler, 29, will be the subject of an intense recruitment in July free agency, which includes the possibility of six maximum contract slots among the four New York and Los Angeles teams. Butler has never been enamored with the idea of a big market, but rather with feeling that's he's surrounded with like-minded players who'll give him a chance for annual postseason success.

DonKnock, BigMaloe, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@Codman hearing anything new about Jimmy Butler with this Wolves meeting looming?

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

jevjnd and hakeem94 like this.
  6. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'm not sure Butler is a perfect fit here, but i would still love to get him without question. I just wouldn't trade Gordon and PJ for him...Gordon + PJ > Butler for me.

7. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

I’d hate to lose Gordon, but Butler’s two-way ability is too good to pass up if he’s willing to sign long term here. Then trade/sign someone like Korver to replace Gordon’s three point shooting.

BigShasta likes this.
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The Rockets would have about a $1 million more going out than coming in, but that's a hell of a lot to give up for a 1 year rental. I think Butler would fit well here, but while our starting lineup would make a big leap in quality, our depth would take a major hit. Not sure what to think. He's the right age to play with Harden, 29. Still, he would be a rental. What if he says thanks, and then goes to LA after this season?

9. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

I trust Morey to do his due dilligence and find out if he would sign with us. I don't think there's a chance we give up gordon and tucker if there's a doubt he would sign with us.

10. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Yes---just like this summer, Morey was checking his availability, shortly before the focus on the SanAntonio outcast. I mentioned it but I was flamed for it being "unreasonable" by the same who said trading Ryno was impossible.

Yes the league is looking at Jimmy. He may be the final piece of a contender (i.e. us)

I'm hesitant to say much right now, as the season hasn't started, but there is a small whisper that a move could be made before hand. JImmy has so much loyalty--he's built on it--so I anticipate him giving Thibs some time to show up some potential. However, Thibs has lost his locker room and his org. Only a few guys believe in him. DRose is going to break if Thibs doesn't shape up, and KAT is going to be a disappointment if they don't get a guy like McFail helping him out in his Minny roots.

I'm also hesitant to say much, not only because things happen so quickly (and change,....damn you Presti!)

And, of course, I'm not giving anything to the poster who claims that Kawhi is coming to Houston. I mean...good lord. Kawhi is staying put for a bit...and one of his closer friends said Toronto is a city that an give him his publicity....I agree.

However, as training camp begins, youll hear more. Andrew will find a new home, unless MGMT says he and KAT are the core.

Jimmy is only happy with Thibs, but the latest whisper was his discontent with all of the familiar faces. He's seen them, he knows how they play...hw wants a winning environment.

Specifically to Houston, from what I've heard, Morey will put us in a positon to get a "star" a bit later....The assets are building, but again, like Trev, there will be some pain.

Every team wants Jim...some of us are his preferred destination(s).

As I can, I'll let you know what an ear tells me about Minny's asking price. It's big right now, but Jim's contract allows some negotiating.

Love ya'll.

Take Care, Deuce

11. RocketRed84

RocketRed84 Member

LOL! No, Butler is much better than both of them combined, and on both defense and offense

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. malakas

malakas Member

"A last ditch meeting" and Kat won't sign unless the Butler situation is clear?

Is that supposed to mean he won't sign if Butler stays or if he leaves?
    Because if it's the first then woah do they really hate each other that much?
    We all know it's an empty threat coz there's 0 chance he will bypass all that money but even to use it as blackmail..if he doesn't leave now then there's no way he will be happy to stay there for long after.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Jimmy Butler:

Hey lets plant the seed that I am an amazingly loyal guy...... but I pushed my way out of Chicago and now Minnesota.

Hey...... I just want to win...... wouldn't mind going to Brooklyn, NY or the Clippers.

Hey I don't like the lime light........ my teammates called me "Hollywood" and I am linked to the two largest markets in the NBA.

Hey it is just coincidence that I have pushed hard to be friends with Hollywood guys like Mark Wahlberg and Jimmy Kimmel and Iggy Azalea.

Look I just hard working Jimmy Butler from Tomball Texas.

[​IMG]

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@Codman thanks for that Butler update. This is really going to be an interesting situation for the Wolves. Interesting to see how it plays out.

There will be 10 teams competing for 8 playoff spots in the West. Even WITH Butler, I think the Wolves are in danger of being left out.

Towns is their future. And it looks like Thibs has lost Towns. I don't see any way Butler stays there. And have been saying this for quite some time.

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

Thibs on Butler's side with Taylor on KAT's side...if the situation behind the scenes is this well...that's not good. Kinda reminds me of Irving/Lebron, with the difference that Butler for Minnesota is not even close to be what Lebron was for Cleveland. Without Thibs on board Butler would probably get traded before the season starts...but until that coach is there eh...really curious to see how this will evolve.

17. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Watching and waiting...

[​IMG]

slothy420 likes this.
  18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Gordon + Nene for Butler works out salary-wise. Then maybe do a second trade of Chriss and a 1st for Tyus Jones?

So the Wolves ultimately get Gordon, Nene, Chriss and a 1st for Butler and Jones

BigggReddd likes this.
  19. finsraider

finsraider Member

The huge mistake both the Pelicans and Wolves made was going all-in too quickly. Now Minny has Wiggins albatross contract, KATs looming massive contract, and Jimmy is a free agent in a year.

That Knight + Chriss deal might end up looking amazing pretty soon. If Morey can flip Gordon and Zhou (plus picks and salary filler) in a deal for Butler, then Knight steps into the backup guard role and Chriss becomes your high upside big with some stretch potential. Both are steps down, I think, but then again....you got JIMMY BUTLER. Also, you still have most of your mid-level if any hole develops.

Gordon, Zhou Qi, 2019 1st and salary filler is a legit offer...it might even be the best one out there. I'd be shocked if LA or Philly put much on the table since they will have cap space, and Boston is already loaded with wings and are probably preserving assets for a run at Davis.

CP3 / Knight
    Harden
    Butler / Ennis
    Tucker / Melo
    Capela / Chriss

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. Juxtaposed Jolt

Would Minny really throw Butler to us for Gordon and Nene? I would assume they would have better offers out there.

In hindsight, it was bad. But if Wiggins made the leap as a player (as I think he's pretty one-dimensional, right now), a trio of Wiggins / Butler / Towns with Thibs coaching, would have been really scary.

luckyman76 likes this.