1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jet Li’s suffering from hyperthyroidism and a heart condition

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, May 21, 2018.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Jet Li’s Aged and Frail Appearance Sparks Concern Among Fans
    3:48 AM PDT 5/21/2018 by Karen Chu

• Li revealed in 2013 that he was suffering from hyperthyroidism as well as a heart condition. Quoting his doctor, Li said at the time that he could “either continue making [action] films or spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair.” Earlier serious injuries to his legs and spine sustained on film sets over the years had also limited his movements, and he admitted he can no longer stand for a long period of time without hunching.

Reluctantly withdrawing from filmmaking, Li has in the last few years dedicated his time to his charity, The One Foundation, which mainly focuses on disaster relief and children’s welfare in China.

A devout Buddhist, Li was spotted at a temple in Tibet in a recent photo and was allegedly addressed as “grandpa” by a group of school children due to his elderly appearance. He has credited his religious belief with helping him cope with his illness.

Li has practiced wushu since the age of eight, winning numerous awards, and once went to the U.S. to perform as part of the China national wushu team for then U.S. president Richard Nixon. After retiring from wushu at the age of 19, he made his name in the movie business with his debut, Shaolin Temple (1982), which became a hit in Greater China, earning more than US$2 million in Hong Kong alone. Famed for his kung fu skills and boyish good looks, he attained Hollywood stardom in 1998 in Lethal Weapon 4 against Mel Gibson, and went on to star in Romeo Must Die(2000),The Forbidden Kingdom (2008) with Jackie Chan and The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (2008).

Li and his family were vacationing in the Maldives during Christmas 2004 when the Indian Ocean tsunami hit. Although the actor was unharmed, the experience prompted him to start his work in philanthropy, setting up The One Foundation in 2007.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...ppearance-sparks-concern-worried-fans-1113594

Ran across this story this morning, I had no idea this had happened to him, really sad to read.......

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Time for him to grow out his eyebrows and play the master.

[​IMG]

3. Exiled

Exiled Member

surgery if tapazole failed, how hard is that

4. HiddenFlawe

HiddenFlawe Member

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Wow! We could have our next Mr. Miyagi.

6. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Damn. I would have never recognized him. Poor guy, Wish him well

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

there is this breh near where i live that is a street vendor that looks just like a young jet li. i used to pass by him everyday on my way to work. however he too looks a little old now.

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

55 years old going on 78.

Rocket River likes this.
  9. Jontro

Jontro Member

has he been repping that bald look for a while? other bald pics i saw on google doesn't show him as old and frail.

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Dang, this pains me to see him this way, as much as it pained me to watch the Rockets play the warriors on Sunday. He was simply the greatest martial arts actor to have ever come on screen. I will always have a lifelong affiliation to all his Chinese movies. Dude was simply a badass.

Rocket River, tinman and Jontro like this.
  11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

This is 2018 New Years messsage, doesn't look as old as he does in the picture. Looks a bit more like most people remember....

BigM, Jontro and Uprising like this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Damn, this is sad. I grew up watching his flicks and his stunts were no joke.

I'm surprised Jackie Chan is relatively unscathed.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

With all his stunts related injuries, Jackie Chan is pretty much full cyborg by now.

Amiga, plutoblue11, GRENDEL and 2 others like this.
  14. Jontro

Jontro Member

the very rare actor where you really can't decide your favorite jet li movie. there are at least 5 movies that are legendary. i bet if he had played ip man, that too would be legendary, better than donnie yen.

Invisible Fan and donkeypunch like this.
  15. VanityHalfBlack

Fist of legend is his most badass movie imo. damn sucks he has cancer.

16. donkeypunch

Agreed. 1000%. When he comes back down on that dude's knee and snaps it in half. Damn........

17. donkeypunch

No doubt. Donnie Yen is no scrub either though, but just tells me how badass Jet Li is.

Jontro likes this.
  18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sad stuff. I wish him well.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He's only two months older than Donnie Yuen