1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff Bzdelik Retiring

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Sep 16, 2018.

1. marky :)

marky :) Member

This is clutchfans MO. There's a section when you create an account that specifically asks that you do this after joining.

2. LUK3

LUK3 Member

Go coach the Texans, maybe they’ll do better.

arabrocket likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah it'll be interesting to see what kind of changes come about and how the team adjusts/adapts their once elite defense they put out a few months ago, to this group of personnel. I'm not sure they're actually going to get a replacement. it sounds like Roy is going to be given that opportunity based on the comments from MDA and the tweets from Berman and then proceed from there

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Im sure enough that I’d wager money

5. JW86

JW86 Member

Our only option!!

6. alethios

alethios Member

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Im pretty sure this isnt just a matter of communicating defensive "information". Im pretty sure there's more to coaching than that. Nice spin. I dont trust MDA to value and communicate defensive strategy and approaches adequitely. Jeff B was a huge part of our success the past 2 seasons.

They better have a plan beyond this spin

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

someone still needs to prepare for each game watching film and knowing how to process and analyze. we need an experienced veteran coach to do this

BaselineFade, arabrocket and mikol13 like this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

To be fair i dont think ive ever seen u be positive once, as long as ive been here. So its no surprise

10. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

So the plan is just move Roy up to replace Jeff and bring in a new a D-league coach that isn't known for his D to replace Roy? What could go wrong with that plan?

(It doesn't sound like management cares much about D)

11. rammo

rammo Member

Chris Paul = defensive coach

12. jsingles

jsingles Member

Not Jeff Bigglydick......:(

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This equivalent to that NFL player retiring at halftime. I don't blame him, never got praised or acknowledged. MDA always showed passive aggressiveness. "Talk to him he's the defense coach."

14. craguin

craguin Member

Houston Rockets Head Coach Kevin McHale announced today that he has hired former Houston assistant T.R. Dunn to his staff.

Dunn was an assistant on former Rockets head coach Rick Adelman’s staff in Houston for four seasons from 2007 to 2011 and helped produce two top five defenses in the league by team defensive rating (2007-08 and 2008-09).

[​IMG]

Vivi likes this.
  15. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I agree. And splitting the defensive duties between MDA and Roy will not work either. They better come up with something better than that.

16. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Where's THIBS?!

17. ksny15

ksny15 Member

We will be just fine

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

MDA has not diminished the importance of the defense, has not praised Bzdelik more than the minimum you would expect publicly, and has embellished the roles of every other part of the defense (management, him, players). If Bzdelik was this unimportant, why was he hired paid well and praised across the spectrum? If Bzdelik is important and retiring completely, why is his importance in the process stated so blandly? You usually get people going out of their way to overly praise someone like that.

Something's fishy.

GermanRoxFan and Little Bit like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Supposedly MDA doesn’t want another coach added and will roll with what he has.

The new kid will do advanced scouting and game scout preparation for the offense and defense. Roy will run the defense with help from MDA.

I don’t like it, the Rockets should be offering an associate head coach job and pay to 3-4 defensive assistants and see if they bite.

So unless the GM steps in; it is MDA/Rogers/Gunning/Dunn/Brase

No one has ever been able to tell me what exactly Dunn does. Rogers is very well liked within the locker room. Gunning is a fundamentals guy that could perhaps help Rogers. Brase will play a huge role as the guy that does the game scouting preparation for MDA and Rogers.

I would feel a lot more comfortable with Greer or Erman or even Burke on the sidelines.

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

Don't overlook the idea that they might not want to change the culture at this point. Bringing in another top defensive guy to be associate head coach would mean bringing in another ego that has to be worked seamlessly into the team fabric and chemistry. Rolling with what they've got at least ensures that no strong new personality will come in wanting to make changes.

Deuce and Pat like this.