1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden is gonna get screwed over again in MVP voting (2019 edition)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Feb 15, 2019.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Giannis is amazing.

He deserves to be #1 at the moment.

J Sizzle likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

As long as he is getting screwed but still tops the second one by 1 vote.

3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

What people tend to forget is harden been doing most of the work w/o cp3 and capela. U lose your starting center and pg and still manage to get 5th seed? That's ****ing dam important! Not that anyone cares though, hell they are now attacking harden for his streak. Ball hogger, dont like his playstyle, fk nba media.

chadyang likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

it’s definitely not Harden’s fault, but because no one else on this team can step up Harden will lose to Giannis unless the Bucks collapse or Harden starts a 40 point streak or something even more insane than he’s been doing and the Rockets win at least 50 games

PeterKingX likes this.
  5. Stepback3GOOD

Stepback3GOOD Member

Can Harden realisticly get to 3,000 points on the season

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'd say virtually impossible....

He needs 1,024 points the rest of the way. If he plays all 25 remaining games, that's a 41 ppg average over that stretch. If you up the 1,024 by 2 to 1,026, so he finished with 3,002 points, he'd finish the season with exactly a 38.00 ppg average, which would be insane.

Even if he did that, if the Bucks have 60+ wins, and the Rockets have less than 50, I bet he still finishes second.

Folks don't really like Harden's game. And for some reason the triple double was more revered a stat, so Russ' triple double for the season blew people's minds... AND... Russ had the sympathy vote of KD left him let's see what he does... and he did what he did!

Even then, I suspect if THAT vote had to be redone, it might go Harden's way ... as people now in retrospect are like "we didn't factor in team record enough" ... lol ...

7. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

MVP is good, but without a MVP you can be champion(s). Harden has been MVP a few times, we know it, but US places choose not to know it. With, or without MVP, we all know Harden is most valuable than other players that play for their teams. I hope Harden doesn't win MVP so that he can have the drive like Hakeem over Admiral in 1994-95 season. Michael Jordan should be MVP every year, but NBA has this MVP voting that is kind of wack. I want Harden win MVP this year, but not everything is going to be fair.... ask the New Orlean Saints.

8. blackistan

blackistan Member

Give thanks to the dreaded offseason we had

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Team success means a LOT. Can Harden overtake Giannis? I have doubts.

The only way I see Harden winning over Giannis is a some mix (or all) of the below:

1) Rockets get to 50+ wins. This is doable. But NO MORE dud losses. Like NON.

2) Rockets finish with a Top 4 see in the west. Ideally it would be top 3 but their DUD LOSSES have killed them here.

3) Harden needs impactful "signature moments" in KEY games. Basically like the January GSW shot game. LAL (TNT) and GSW (ABC) coming right out of the break are PRIME opportunities. When Westbrook won MVP he had KEY "moments" like the Denver game and Orlando game that STUCK in voters minds. This counts a TON! Recency bias some? sure. Voters are human.

4) Giannis and the Bucks might win....but win "quietly." Ideally the Raptors would overtake them for the #1 seed but doubt that will happen. In fact having GSW get the best overall record would help. Then the Bucks can only claim "best in the East" versus "best overall." Semantics? yes. But that counts.

5) Rockets and Harden BEAT the Bucks in their next matchup. Harden's play being a BIG factor.

Narrative can carry a lot of weight. We have seen it. But the DUD LOSSES have to be ZERO.

Reeko, Richie_Rich, malakas and 2 others like this.
  11. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

If we can't get a top 4 seed then he won't get screwed. Your team has to win unless you avg a trip dub.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think the only year they changed it was when Westbrook won. That triple-double thing was just totally idiotic. In fact, this year's Westbrook is much more deserving than that one.

JayGoogle likes this.
  13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I honestly think this is a bigger deal than coming in 2nd a couple times for MVP.

The year Dwight really ****ed us, Harden had of course ridiculous numbers. Not even third team. Probably the best statistical season in league history to not get rewarded with an all nba nod.

JayGoogle likes this.
  14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

James already got his.

Let’s go get a ring and a Final’s MVP now. It’s all that is left.

15. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

16. valorita

valorita Member

Harden ‘19 >= Westbrook triple double MVP season. Do what he has to do to win.

Giannis ‘19 = Harden ‘18 MVP season.

So depends on what your preferences are.

17. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

A lot has to do with travel, schedule etc plus injuries have killed us.

When you play the gauntlet schedule in West it is easy to have let down games against the East weak squads. Hence us losing to Cavs and wizards and nets and magic. The west has one break and that’s PHX. The East is like half breaks.

#37 RHU525, Feb 15, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    hakeem94 likes this.
  18. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

I'm okay with this. As it stands, teams have figured out how to make him less efficient as a playmaker enough to make games winnable.

Though ESPN has yet to create a montage of "how to stop Giannis", I don't believe teams have figured out how to beat them with a proven strategy, unlike with Harden and our Rockets. The closest thing is to put a respectable, mobile big man on Giannis.

However, with Clint coming back, I don't know if Harden has peaked just yet. We might lock in and get that winning attitude back. Those same strats teams use to slow Harden down will be minimized with Clint returning. Harden's game will open up and so will CP's. His MVP candidacy will rise up the ranks again.

19. SemisolidSnake

Honestly, I don't care anymore. I couldn't tell you whether Giannis, George, or James deserves it this year, and neither can any of you. That's because the award has no hard or soft standards, pattern, definitions, whatever. It's an open-ended mess dependent on the voters' whims each year. I'd rank it one step ahead of being selected as an All Star in terms of legitimacy, which is at least openly a pure popularity contest.

And that's really not me being salty about Harden; it's just sad and annoying to always have to dial back enjoyable sports awe to "Well, I wonder what that meant in that particular year."

Easy likes this.
  20. Newlin

Newlin Member

It wasn't long ago that nobody cared about the MVP award. Really, it was just something they handed out at the end of the season. Few people paid much attention, and very few talked about it during the season. But, now we have 24hr sports networks with talk shows all damn day. We have Internet forums and twitter and these other things. Suddenly, the MVP is viewed has something important by many. But why?

It's just a popularity contest created by the media. I really don't care if Harden wins the award or not. I don't care about all star games either. All I care about are championships. One championship is worth more than twenty MVP awards to me.

In some cases chasing an MVP can be detrimental to team goals.

Richie_Rich and Easy like this.