1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden Clutch Stats and effectiveness under MDA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, Nov 28, 2016.

1. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Mike D'Antoni has always been known as a "horrible late-game situation coach", because his offense has always been very predictable in terms of tendencies, initiation of plays etc, that's why he was always outcoached by Pop in the playoffs.

He also used a really tiny rotations before and Nash was extremely exhausted in late-game situations especially in playoffs, the same as Harden is washed up in the final minutes of almost every game this season.

In 04/05 playoffs he was 44% FG and 40% 3P in clutch after having a 50% FG and 43% 3P season with excellent help from the team (Marion, Amare, Joe Johnson alongside).

05/06 playoffs Nash was shooting 38.5% FG in the clutch in playoffs and was extremely innefective in his drives to the rim (Steve was only 33% on his two-pointers) while Joe-Joe was traded and Amare was injured, so he was forced to score much more, but came up with less.

Drives to the rim were actually a key plays for 7 Seconds or less offense up to MDA himself

The Rockets were in clutch situations 8 times so far this year, almost the half of the action.

James Harden is scoring 2.6 points in the clutch, making 21% of his shots and has zero triples made, also he's just 60% from the stripe.

He has 1.4 assists to 0.9 turnovers. No surpise he's -2.5 in the clutch this season, while Rockets are 4-4 and 7-2 in other matchups.

Last year under JB in horrible iso-oriented "so-called offense": 3.5 points, 35% from the field, 26% from 3, 0.7 assists to 0.4 turnovers and +0.8. The Rockets were 28-21 in 49 clutch games

"MVP"-campaign in 2014/2015 with McHale: 3.5 points, 48% from the field, 52% from 3, 77% from charity stripe and +0.1 in +/-.

Rockets were 25-15 in 40 clutch games.

Shots fired.

#1 _RTM_, Nov 28, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    Medicine N Music likes this.
  2. OTMax

OTMax Member

It's because Harden is still adjusting, passing / shooting, they are not running MDA's offense yet and rotations are not set.

3. bongman

bongman Member

Sample size might be too small right now

DudeWah likes this.
  4. Nivos

Nivos Member

Thanks, good thread.
    I haven't seen much practice of end clock situations and out of bounds/out of timeout plays.
    Dantoni is known as a very creative coach, I hope we develop a few good sets

5. Harden's beard

Idiotic thread, obviously too small a sample size to draw any meaningful conclusions

MorningZippo likes this.
  6. Mr Chuck Norris

That 30 foot shot over CJ was pretty clutch to me

7. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Might be? And Tom Herman might kiss grown ass men and might lie to reporters faces.

OP seems to forget that Nash's late season disappearing act was initiated in Dallas and was a good portion of the reason cuban let him go.

If you want to hate, just state you dislike D'Antoni and want him fired. (bongman - this isn't intended at you - just replying to the simple logic of sample size being meaningless. especially when we one games where harden faded in the clutch - a bit of a mixed metaphor when your team gets the win but you are trying to undermine the coach for fading his best player)

bongman likes this.
  8. onreego

onreego Member

I liked D'Antoni's adjustment of sitting Harden in the final minutes of the third and a few in the fourth. Hopefully Gordon is more of a consistent threat and allows for more rest.

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Good teams don't win close games. They avoid them all together.

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  10. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

It's not might be. It is too small of a sample size.

Analytically, that's not a disputable point.
    I think the rest of your post is good though.

That being said, I think Harden has definitely been worse the last two seasons in the clutch. That's really not debatable. Hero ball in he final few mins has been a constant since Haden has been here.

To D'Antoni's credit he's changed his rotation around to keep Harden fresh the last few games. I think the coach has seen the issue and started to address it. That's a really good sign. A coach who has a flexible mindset that can change established patterns as they shift according to the dynamic nature of the game is a true asset.

11. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

tom herman does kiss men and lie to reporters - thus, sample size IS to small :). that was my point

DudeWah likes this.
  12. hakeemthagreat

Lmao at MDA being a horrible late game manager. His Phoenix teams had one of the best clutch players in Nash. Who put Nash in a position to hit these late game shots?

13. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Oh boy. You should probably define what a clutch-game is before you do anything you've already done. (Even if we aren't already laughing at the tiny sample size)

Why not take a coursera class in stats? Would have taken about the same amount of time as this write up.