1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden at 28 is better than Michael Jordan at 28

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

In the East, LeBron does that.

2. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Harden will be known like Iverson, probably compared to one of the pure shooting guards who ever lived. Harden is getting superstar status like Iverson. Harden is getting better status than him, in regards of more of a pure assist point guard. With these numbers, hes looks like oscar robertson reborn and could be better if he keeps a few 30 + season on his belt, and maybe 1 or 2 champiionships. Not as good as Micheal Jordan, there may never be such a person. The guy retired with a 30.1 lol and 6 championships. So harden is not in the very top elite class like that. but damn near close.

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

and russel won 11 championships how about that

4. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Yea but look what team he was on in that time period lol... Horry won what 8 ? lol

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The thing is Harden one of the most efficient, if not the most efficient guard today.

But things like killer instinct and most heart of all players, that you cannot count 1 to 1 or measure.

It is what it is. Intangibles. That is why guys like Robert Horry who does not have the talent of others, is still legend but no star.

I am glad that folks are bringing that up, even the greatest MJ could not do it all, do it all well enough.

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

which player with "killer instinct and most heart" would have carried the rockets to a championship last year???

7. vlaurelio

Iverson never had Jordan's teammates and competition

8. the shark

the shark Member

Still trying to argue about this?????

Please show me ONE game where Michael Jordan quit on his team in the playoffs? Just ONE game?

Jordan scored SIXTY-THREE POINTS in a playoff game against the Celtics (in Boston) in his second season in the NBA. Neither Pippen or Grant were on that team. It was Jordan against Bird, Parish, McHale, Walton and more importantly DJ (all of them HOF) and Johnson was a damn good defensive player.

You know what Harden was doing in his second season? He didn't even start (he was OKC 6th man).

You want some Jordan stats.
    http://www.michaeljordansworld.com/statistics/points_60_50_40_30_20_10.htm

As others have pointed out Jordan also played in a time where you could practically maul the guy you were defending. Yet nobody could stop MJ.

Keep on going hakeem94 because no matter how hard you want to argue this you will continue to be WRONG!!!!!

hakeem94 and HAYJON02 like this.
  9. the shark

the shark Member

10. rocketseagles07

I still can’t believe this is actually in argument. I’m a firm believer in ships being team accomplishments and I do think the comp that Houston is up against is tougher than what Jordan had to face. Despite that, harden himself would tell you he can’t be compared to Jordan right now. It’s just a dumb argument

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

my argument exactly...you can not analyse in vacuum.. you need to look at player's own team and competition...harden had less talented teammates and faced tougher competition than jordan

rockets13champs likes this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

so Jordan was 25% 3pt shooter after all?

13. the shark

the shark Member

Here ya go.........as a DAMN FRESHMAN in the NCAA finals with the game on the line.

14. rockets13champs

That’s just 1 game. There’s also a game where Tim Duncan hit a 3 to win a game. So what’s ur point

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. the shark

the shark Member

One of
    Pretty ironic you mention Duncan and NOT Harden.

16. Caesar

Caesar Member

I'm a bit hungover and slow right now but im not sure what you're asking or what the point is that you're trying to make.

The Bulls won 55 games and pushed the Knicks to 7 games in the Eastern Conference SEMI'S. It's somehow become the ECF through the years. I see a lot of misinformation be passed on like it's fact as the years go by. That team btw was minus MJ, but still a team with 6 straight ECF and 3X championship chemistry + added Toni Kukoc, Steve Kerr, Luc Longley to strengthen the bench plus Pippens absolute peak season. Great season as a team without MJ. Didn't result in what matters though, and that's a championship. None of it was sustainable either. The next year, they lose Grant, but Kukoc has his best full individual season and they added Ron Harper and what did they do? They barely hovered around .500 ball the whole season. MJ return for the last 17 games after nearly 2 year retirement, and they win 47 games. Without MJ, they might not even win 40, but everyone only wants to use 93-94 as if to say they didn't need MJ.

Hahahaha. Yeah. Not that special to carry a team in that garbage conference hahaha. Harden could have gone to the Finals every year in the East with LeBrons same teams his whole career too. LeBron has had the easiest road to the Finals for his entire career, maybe 2nd only to Magic's road in the 80s West. Pathetic competition. The East is finally getting stronger up top, but Celtics and Raptors are still playoff pretenders IMO so LeBron should get out of the east once again.

MJ didn't need to shoot 3's and barely took any. Shooting a very low % when you take only .06 to 1 attempt a game for an 82 game season is not indicative of being a bad shooter. Think about such a low number of attempts that involves tons of last second heaves etc that weren't necessarily spot up attempts. In 1989-90 he shot 3 attempts a game for 37.6% for the entire season. 35% in 35.2% in 1993 when he shot 2.9 a game for the season. I'd say that's more proof that he'd be fine as a 3 pt shooter today. I could easily see him taking 4 or 5 game today and making 36% for his career, maybe even better because he would work on it a obsessively. I'd say that's pretty good when you're unstoppable at other facets of the game.

The 3pt line was moved closer for 95 to 97 only. MJ was already in his 30s. He shot 40.4% from 3 during those 3 seasons(only 17 games in 95)...shouldn't be a surprise because he was already really good at that deep mid range anyway, but still only took 1.9 to 3.6 attempts a game. I've seen people try and pass this misinformation as fact such as saying the NBA moved the 3 pt line closer during MJ's ENTIRE career. I've also seen people mention it as the NBA helping Jordan. LOL. Ok. MJ barely shot 3's and the Bulls weren't much of a 3 point shooting team and won 3 championships with the regular 3 pt line distance. Why would that help the Bulls and MJ? It would have helped 3 point shooting teams like the Rockets, Suns, Heat, Pacers, Magic etc. Not only that, but the line was moved closer while MJ was still retired. Moving the 3 pt line closer didn't do anything. In fact, it lowered scoring to 100ppg average.

17. vlaurelio

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Oh yea, well back in Artesia High Harden hit a game winner once. Jordan couldn't even make the freshman team .. loser!

19. the shark

the shark Member

Can you point to ONE thing that I've said that would lead you to believe this?

This idiotic thread is about a few on here who think Harden is better than Jordan (not WB).

20. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Jordan had Pippen, thats literally all it is. Steph is more successful than Harden because he has a better team, comparing how the team does isnt really fair, before this year harden s biggest help was a broke down unagreeable dwight howard.

hakeem94 and vlaurelio like this.