1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jake Marisnick suspended 2 games

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jul 11, 2019.

1. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Nice. Now it needs to be over. They will suspend Cole if he hits someone and we can't afford that

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Wow. I wasn't expecting anything to be done. Apparently, MLB wasn't buying their BS in the post-game interviews, either.

3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I think it is over. It is telling that their suspensions are more severe than Jake's. The league is blaming the angels. Hopefully jake can get his reduced to 1 game.

4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

lol this bleeping guy (referring to Ramirez)

Also amusing that he got one more game.

King1 and whiskeyred like this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He’s a reliever so a 3 game suspension is really a 1 game suspension.

I hope Houston lets this go. Our dude knocked their veteran catcher out for 2 months on accident, their guy beaned him. Both guys got disciplined.

King1 likes this.
  6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Jake never forgave Lucroy for turning us down in trade talks and getting a ring together, so he knocked him out. Poor guy.

7. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Given the suspension today, I doubt Hinch will retaliate. I truly believe if MLB turned a blind eye, his players would hit back.

8. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Good on the league for stepping up!

Now let's get a W!

King1 likes this.
  9. SemisolidSnake

Agreed, it's time for this to be over, and unless one of our guys commits any rogue actions on his own, I believe it will be. The league suspending Ramirez and Ausmus is perfect, because now the whole the situation shifts to making our team look good. Especially Jake who handled yesterday's BS in the best possible way. For any Astro to do anything or say anything more about this would be to tip the scales back away from having the highest possible moral ground they'll be perceived to have in this whole affair.

Can someone go police Correa's social media usage for a few days? He's always a good candidate for saying something stupid.
    (Yes, I know he very laudably defended Jake against Yadier Molina, but still...)

I still can't believe the Angels were stupid enough to do this. They've had every single heart bleeding for them for weeks now. They could've ridden that out through the rest of the season and really gained a lot of national attention and fans probably. Now, they've got this ugly black mark that's going to take a lot of amount of media bleach to get rid of.

King1 likes this.
  10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The only thing to worry about now is honest HBPs turning into something ugly. Hopefully, that doesn't happen.

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Nice job by mlb doing the suspension before the game is played today. Probably prevented a huge fight and more ejections. Hinch is showing why one of the best managers in the league by putting pressure on mlb to make a move, or else they would.

12. edwardc

edwardc Member

You fail to see my point the umps would have to put a stop to the beaming after the 400 million dollar man would be targeted it would cause the league to step in and mandate that the teams stop.It wasn't about who they hit it's the guy that we could hit that would make the difference.You called jake's slide illegal some say he was within his rights after the catcher illegally blocked the plate.

13. mick fry

mick fry Member

Jakes been playing his ass off this series.

King1 likes this.
  14. King1

King1 Contributing Member

He's probably pissed. Nobody felt worse about what happened and he got vilified by the media and a bunch of obnoxious fans. Then, they threw at his head because their p***y of a manager was too soft to ever play the game hard. He was too busy trying to pull college chicks in Bronx Bar.

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I don't know if MLB issues suspensions without Hinch threatening retaliation. Good on him for doing what needs to be done.

Hinch is the man.

16. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

A good non-biased article. Writer is spot on.

https://sports.yahoo.com/astros-jak...ll-because-he-isnt-the-bad-guy-045553020.html

Astros' Jake Marisnick doesn't play a good villain because he isn't the bad guy
    " data-reactid="15" style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: -webkit-standard; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; max-width: 100%;">

For those 10 days he’d been eviscerated on social media, kicked around on television, heckled at the ballpark of his youth and suspended by his league’s office. Then he had a baseball heaved at his neck. It wasn’t over, either.

[​IMG]
    Jake Marisnick was prepared for retaliation from the Angels for a violent collision earlier this month with catcher Jonathan Lucroy. (Getty Images)

" data-reactid="39" style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: -webkit-standard; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; max-width: 100%;">

The noise, the mess, the rage, the threatening language, all the trimmings of the new day, does sometimes come with the job.

The alternative view – not unlike the camera shot from behind Lucroy that should absolve Marisnick of malicious intent – is that the game, any game, will place people and objects and outcomes on the same patch of dirt at the same time, and that collisions of body and spirit are inevitable. What is not predictable when the world passes judgment, when the question is what to do next, is how one responds when cast as the villain.

And so it has been quite the 10 days for a guy whose transgression was diving for the inside edge of home plate rather than the outside edge, a 17-inch miscalculation made in a split second that, first, injured Lucroy and, second, became Marisnick’s to explain.

He has been the adult in the room ever since, from the tenderness he showed Lucroy immediately after impact to the herding of angry teammates when the retaliation finally arrived. On Wednesday afternoon, by then well into Day 10, the latest news being the league’s disciplining of the Angels’ pitcher who’d hit him on the R in Marisnick the night before, Marisnick would say he’d had no plan to defend himself beyond the truth. See, he’d not been a villain before.

“Never before,” he said.

He’d certainly never been a villain in Anaheim.

“Never,” he said. “Never thought in a million years I would be. That’s the crazy part.”

And here he is.

“At the end of the day my teammates know me,” he said. “Guys I’ve played with know I would never have an intent to hurt another player like that.

“Things happen on the field you hate to see. I was raised to play hard and keep your nose down and stay out of trouble. I was never a troublemaker growing up. I’ve never had anything like this happen before, being at the center of a controversy. It’s a weird place to be. But that’s life. Things happen. You deal with them. Hopefully you move forward.”

He added, “I hate what happened.”

He’d apologized to Lucroy, but couldn’t say if he’d been forgiven.

“You gotta ask him about that,” he said. “I feel good with how I’ve explained myself in talking to him. I would definitely, once things kind of blow over, like to talk to him, sit down and have a longer conversation about the incident.”

[​IMG]
    Angels catcher Jonathan Lucroy suffered a broken nose from his collision with the Astros' Jake Marisnick. (Getty Images)

This is the Jake Marisnick teammates and coaches know well, the man who shows up and plays, who cares, who was and remains bothered that another man cannot play because of a moment that involved him, who would take back the decision to make Lucroy whole again.

“His actions during this have been nothing short of sensational,” Astros manager A.J. Hinch said. “From the very beginning, the collision, his first reaction going right to Lucroy, to the follow-up, to how he handled the media, the questions, the curiosity when we got back from the All-Star break. To then having the most difficult situation for him, is to come here and get the treatment he got here. And I’m not talking about getting hit. Getting hit was somewhat expected – in yesterday’s game, in today’s game, in the world of today’s game. The fans were incredibly harsh to him and he rose above it. He stayed with what he does. He kept his composure. He’s just a very well-balanced, well-intended, likeable guy.

“This game will often lead you to how you respond to failure, how you respond to negative press, how people respond to the struggles that are within this game. There’s a lot of really good people in the game. Jake is one of the best ... He’s not someone notable because he ran into a catcher. He’s notable because of how he’s carried himself, how he plays the game, how well respected and how well liked he is.”

What’s left is Lucroy’s recovery, which is the primary concern. Also, going forward, attention to a rule that does not fully account for unintentional contact between runner and catcher at the plate. The league suspended Marisnick for two games. He was fined. He has appealed, not entirely for himself. He’d like to be heard.

“Maybe it’s a chance to address this rule further and I’ll get a chance to voice my opinion on what we can do to further avoid collisions like this,” he said. “I mean, it can happen to anybody. I would rather it not.”

King1 likes this.
  17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Way to go Jake. Shut those idiots up for the Angels.

King1 likes this.
  18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It’s not uncommon for MLB to suspend pitchers they deem to have intentionally thrown at hitters, especially shoulders on up.

Had Marisnick been hit in the butt, the suspension would probably have been less.

19. Hemo_jr

Hemo_jr Member

I think, if you get a suspension AND then get thrown at & hit, your suspension should be withdrawn (if it's not too late).

Nothing will stop retaliations faster than punishing the retaliator by withdrawing the suspension. Besides, you're getting punished twice for the same perceived crime if they don't.

20. elrond

elrond Member

I'm kinda curious, it seems like catchers are still allowed to block runners from tagging home plate, which they often do before they even get the ball. In this case, what are runners supposed to do? Or is this something that catchers aren't supposed to do anymore, but still do anyways?

It kind of got me thinking, could a 2nd baseman do the same thing to a base stealer? Just out right block them from tagging 2nd base? I'm guessing they wouldn't want to do it for fear of injury and not wearing any of the armor, but could they do it if they wanted? Seems like if catchers don't want to get injured, they should approach the play at the plate similar to how 2nd baseman make tags on base stealers.