1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jake Marisnick Recovery

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, May 16, 2018.

?

How long will it take Jake to get his SO% <30%?

1. 2 Weeks

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  2. 3 weeks

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. 1 month

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  4. 3 Months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Never will

19 vote(s)
    65.5%
  1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He'll catch on/get a shot with another team in ST next year. I don't see the Astros devoting the arbitration money to keep him.

Sort of reminds me of how they eventually cut ties with Castro... minus having to give him a 1st round bonus.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

2 HRs in the past 2 games. 0 Ks. (still may have an at bat left tonight)

3. Buck Turgidson

How many walks? The HR:K ratio certainly works. We need to look at the advanced stats though.

4. bobrek

In 3 games - 2 Ks, 2 BBs

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Lets go hypothetical, lets say Jake rakes in AAA. What does that tell us?

That he can hit AAA pitching?

That with regular AB's, he hits better? Well this is fine and all, but a 4th or 5th OF never is going to get regular AB's (not every day). He already has more AB's than Fisher or Max to this point. Whose AB's are you going to subtract so Jake can have more?

Does it matter what he does at AAA (unless he goes TED on us) if Kemp becomes a steady contributor?

#25 jim1961, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 20, 2018
  6. bobrek

I assume they are more concerned with evaluating his approach and mechanics. If he’s doing the same stuff, but hitting inferior pitching, I’d think it wouldn’t matter. If there have been tweaks in observable plate discipline and mechanics he’d probably come back up and replace the lesser performing Kemp or Fisher.

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

That makes a lot of sense. But I am still left with this nagging feeling.

If all he needed was tweaking, it would seem that could have been done while still on the ML club. So either this isn't the reason or he wasn't able to do it.

Lots of times, confidence (lack of) is at the heart of it. And AAA can maybe fix that.

I suppose one could speculate till your blue in the face, but I dont think the Astros ever do anything without a plan and a reason, and not always the one they say in public.

8. bobrek

While tweaking can be done they can't afford to play him at the major league level to see the results. And clearly, confidence is important.

MLB needs a GBTST (go back to spring training) list.

9. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Kind of weird looking at the roster. They only have two "true" outfielders.

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

A week after it begins, its over.

So what happens now? We wait to see who gets healthy first, Reddick or Fisher? How about when both are healthy?

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

http://www.astroscounty.com/2018/06/thursday-morning-hot-links_14.html

And on Marisnick? Hinch:
    I know he's had a tough time with the bat...He's a Major League player, he's on our team, he can run the bases. We've got to find a way to get his bat going...He's not going to get better by sitting on the bench for a week at a time until people are not mad at him or want him to play.

Yep. That sums up Hinch's approach to struggling players pretty well. Basically, if your on the team, your going to get played. Hinch doesn't have a doghouse because its not his mind set to ever put somebody in it.

I have to say, that is a remarkable strategy, mostly. I am sure it earns him points with the players. But its a slippery slope. While being patient with guys often times has its rewards, as with Gattis for the last month or so, it can certainly backfire if the guy never comes around and meanwhile, costs you games in the interim.

The bar is pretty low for Jake. None expects Springer like production from him. Most, I think, would be happy with replacement level offense from him. But closing in on the half way point of the season, he is well below that very low bar.

Hinch is definitely wrong on one thing though. Its up to Jake to get going, not Hinch.

#31 jim1961, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

LMFAO

I mean.. he's not not wrong. We need to get his bat going basically sums up Marisnicks whole career.

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The funny part is that if the Astros signed me to the team, one could say all those things about me as well (He's a Major League player, he's on our team, he can run the bases. ) :rolleyes:

14. Buck Turgidson

What other choice does a manager have in the middle of the season? Things do change in September/playoffs.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Marisnick is more a September/playoffs kind of player....he doesn't have to bat. He only has to run and field.