1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[It's Happening] Flying Cars: waiting in the wings

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Classic, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Classic

Classic Member

Doc Brown nailed it, sorta:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bp2TWNpTA7s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I wonder how long before this is common place to see. 30 yrs?

2. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

1.21 gigawatts!

[​IMG]

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I think it'll be a nightmare trying to figure out aviary laws as far as lane demarcations, speed limits, heights at which you can travel, how to navigate through traffic, etc. People can barely handle being on the ground......how the heck are they going to be able to handle being airborne? Also, imagine an accident in the air. Guaranteed fatalities every single time. However, it's definitely a cool idea, and something that MIGHT be able to work over short distances, and controlled environments.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I was on the tarmac at SAT for 2 hours after a 15 minute hailstorm grounded every AA flight into Love Field after 3:30 pm. How anyone allowed this flying car fantasy to hold water past the late '50s is beyond me.

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

Liability insurance for flying cars will guarantee that only a select few will drive/fly something like this.

Quite frankly, we are probably all better off that way. ;)

6. dmc89

dmc89 Member

^ I can't wait for driver-less cars to remove more people from behind the wheel. Saw two rear ends today alone. Both of the drivers who hit the car in front were driving carelessly. One was putting on makeup; the other was on his phone.

7. jbasket

jbasket Member

This could be a possibility for city to city travel (example Houston to Dallas), but for widespread use: doubt it. Too many dumb people, insurance costs, and risk of a lot of deaths.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

fixed it for Carl there. No worries -- could happen to anybody.

9. conquistador#11

not futuristic looking!

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I could see something like this in the future. Tracks that automatically route you from point a to b. Basically turning your car into a mini-train on the freeways. Would certainly eliminate the idiot driver factor.