1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Isaac Bonga

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ipaman, Mar 28, 2018.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Deserves a thread because several mocks have him available mid to late 2nd round and at least one mock has Rox drafting him.

He's a German 18 y/o 6'9" Point Forward who loves to attack from PNR and is really good defender because of his length. Reminds me of Trevor Ariza but with PNR handles and rim finishing.

#1 ipaman, Mar 28, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Roxs-Redemption likes this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's way too limited an analysis to just say the kid has a great feel for the game... but he has a great feel for the game, lol

The easiest way to describe feel for the game, to me, is to look at someone like Hasheem Thabeet. There was no way this guy was ever going to be a successful NBA player, regardless of what the metrics or college stats said. He didn't have an NBA speed feel for the game to be successful.

Bonga looks raw, but the exact opposite in that it's a rawness that comes with lack of experience and almost too much athleticism.

He needs to work on his outside shot A LOT... but apparently upped his FT% to 90% this year, which is a solid indicator.

All that said, he's still very very young and will need time to season. But imo, it's time to season, not stash and never see.

ipaman, dkim1984 and da_juice like this.
  3. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Next J-Smoov ;)

I doubt someone like him falls into the second round, guys like these tend to skyrocket though draft boards once the college season ends.

basketballholic likes this.
  4. Milos

Milos Member

I'm feeling ya
    I've been following him for months since he popped up on my radar ... and I've fallen in love

Bonga is a prime candidate for one of Morey's non-G early 2nd Rd picks
    Could be a draft & stash too if offseason leaves no run for him to develop next yr

Ariza is not a good comp IMO
    Bonga is most like Shaun Livingston among current NBA players
    Also similar to Kyle Anderson, who followed Boris Diaw

All 3 are below-avg NBA athletes with exceptional point-forward skills whose best role IMO is running the second unit OFF
    Bonga is likewise not a premium athlete by NBA standards
    He is not another Greek Freak and IMO does not have the athletic upside to develop into a star down the road

His vision & feel running the point are his greatest skills
    True floor general who sees everything from the top with his height
    Excellent distributor from P&R, but rarely attacks the hoop to finish, and never attempts to sag-n-pop
    Good enough handle to get by his man, but not really an isolation player at this point

Shot is biggest worry for Bonga on OFF
    Similar to early Rubio/Rondo - always looks to pass bc he doesn't trust his shot yet, leading to forced turnovers
    Teams will sag off and dare him to shoot

I also disagree about the finishing -
    He's not bouncy enough to finish over the rim (despite the size)
    His inconsistency is compounded by his over-willingness to pass off on the drive
    His only weapon to score off the dribble as of now is a nice floater, which he looks to as a last resort

Good news is the shot is not a lost cause
    He's improved his FT shooting dramatically this year (85-90% most of season)
    While his gather on long shots is among the slowest I've ever seen, the release is actually pretty smooth
    He'll never be even avg shooting off the dribble, but could become a competent catch-and-shoot player off the ball in a few years

DEF (as you mentioned) is where Bonga will probably make his mark in this league
    The length on the perimeter makes him a perfect wing defender
    Can guard 1-4 and switch easily
    In this way, he does remind me of Ariza

The anticipation he shows as a playmaker could also make him disruptive by forcing steals off deflections
    Feet are not quick enough to make a living staying in front of lightning-quick guards off the dribble, but he can hold his own
    Nowhere near strong enough (yet) to bang inside with bigs
    This year he has definitely shown the hustle and intelligence to become a great, if not elite, NBA defender

Would love to see him in the G-league next year developing his feel for the Rockets offensive system
    With an eye on his arrival to Houston sometime in 2020 as the young backup PG we need to develop for life after CP3

D-rock and ipaman like this.
  5. basketballholic

Agree on Bonga. Only way he falls roti the second is if he gets injured or shine age/character issue comes to light. Just too many ball skills, court vision, and athleticism to not go in the first. And he should really go in the top half of the lottery.

6. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

7. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Smh another 6'9 pf, what with rockets and love for pf
    Is there no servicable C available in case Clint N'dumba Capela leave4