1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it time to trade Clowney?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mario_v, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Plus he's not as good as Mack.

macho87 likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Raiders just got 2 first round picks for a guy that isn't as good, that would be where talks would start.

As for how much he's getting paid, I think you make him prove it this year and if he's still one of the most disruptive defensive players in the NFL and stays healthy, you pay him on par with Aaron Donald. Clowney is the team's new JJ.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's been better over the last 2 seasons than Mack. I would expect him to make it 3 years in a row better than Mack this year.

4. macho87

macho87 Member

Mack was dpoy two years ago. Mack has solidified himself as a true superstar nfl player. Clowney is just a tease

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Lmao!!! Are you serious?? Clowney a trade? Clowney is a beast and any team would give up 2 firsts to get him.

mario_v likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Is that why Clowney has had more TFL's over the last 2 years than Mack despite playing in fewer games? in fact, there's only one player in the NFL with more TFL's than Clowney the last 2 years and Mack is significantly behind them. Simply put, defenses fear Clowney more than Mack and for good reason, he's one of the most dominant, disruptive players in the NFL.....and he's only gotten better year after year. Mack on the other hand has been less productive, less disruptive than the prior season for 2 straight seasons.

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I think Clowney is the best run defender in the league, no doubt. He's got to step up his pass rush game. If he can do that, Clowney can be the best defender in the league.

To me, he's not better than Mack just mainly due to not being able to stay on the field.

I think we'd get a first for Clowney, no doubt, but his injury history would make it hard for a team to give up a second.

I don't want to trade him though. He and Watt (healthy, normal Watt) need at least one season together. Those two and Watson will make us the most exciting team in the league.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I could see that argument, and that's why I wouldn't pay Clowney this season.....but he's only missed 2 games the last 2 seasons and if he plays all 16 this season healthy then I don't think there will be any argument for Mack over Clowney.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  9. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Great response.

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

MAck only won that DPOY award cause of that one game he had 5 sacks late in that year to heisman flash spot him. That was like half of his total for the year, all against a Broncos team with a sorry line and a dumbass for a qb, who holds the ball too long and doesnt know how to step up in the pocket.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The right decision IMO, make him show he can stay healthy and be productive for one more season before throwing the kitchen sink at him.

13. macho87

macho87 Member

Mack isnt better than Clowney? Haha y'all homers crack me up. @Bobbythegreat must be sick watching mack right now.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

So why do people argue Clowney vs Mack exactly?

Clowney at least played. Let's hope we can get him to 100% and then he'll be a beast.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, Mack isn't better than Clowney. I know you are impressed with Mack's one sack and two tackles, but Clowney would have had at least 1 probably 2 of not for Brady giving up on the play and throwing the ball at his feet.....and that's with him clearly not ready to play since BOB decided not to get his team ready for the regular season by using the preseason games for what they are supposed to be used for.

Again, Clowney has been clearly better than Mack for the last 2 years, I don't expect that to change this year.

Edit

I didn't actually watch the game so I missed the pick 6, that's impressive, would have been more impressive if it was picking a real QB instead of a scrub like Kizer, but still impressive....either way, I'll take Clowney over Mack any day.

#155 Bobbythegreat, Sep 9, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    BigShasta likes this.
  16. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

We're keeping Clowney. You don't get that kind of defensive production easily.

As far as the cap and money is concerned. Texans are saving their $25 million in cap space this season to rollover in 2019. This will give create around $90 million in cap space to structure Clowney's contract and bonus easily.

Texans will continue to pay Watt, Clowney, Hopkins, etc while Watson is still under his rookie contract and then restructure those deals when it's time to pay Watson.

17. macho87

macho87 Member

Woulda coulda shoulda. Let me know when hes an elite pass rusher.

18. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So to you, the difference between being an "elite pass rusher" and not being one is 1 sack over the course of a season? That's an interesting take.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Aside from the fluke 5 sack game Mack had in 2015, those numbers look very similar to what Clowney did last year.....only without being an elite run stopper.