1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it time to trade Clowney?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mario_v, Nov 29, 2017.

1. showa13

showa13 Member

And Watt will go down as one of the greatest of all time. Only LT and Bruce Smith impacted the game like Watt. Clowney can def impact a game, no he’s not Watt but who else is? It doesn’t make sense to trade a 24 year old defensive player who can do the things he does unless you’re getting a massive return for him.

2. Buck Turgidson

3. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Funny stuff but no now is the time to trade Watt

4. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I'd trade Clowney and Watt for a 10 year run of guaranteed health for Watson.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  5. body slam

body slam Member

The more I think about this thread the more I think its time to start listening to offers. Not saying they should trade him, but it would be stupid not to listen to offers.

6. texian

texian Member

I'll give you a 3rd for Clowney and his microfracture knee,

And a conditional 6th for Watt and his one-hit-away-from-fusion back.

Now replace them.

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Clowney would demand at minimum a 1st/2nd. He’s all PRO.

Watt maybe a 2nd.

8. rawbrah

rawbrah Member

Yeah, well I’ll trade the entire health of the current Rockets team just for one NFL title, but not how this world works.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

I don't know. Maybe we can get HeyNow to start a thread, "Would you trade the current Rockets team for a Texans championship?"

Seemed to work when he asked "Would you trade Deshaun Watson for an Astros championship?"

;):rolleyes:

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Alright Brian! That' what I'm talking about.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/22659098/nfl-trades-happen-2018-offseason-according-execs

The pool of prominent NFL player trade candidates is shrinking as teams reach deals before the trading period opens March 14.

Quarterback Alex Smith, cornerback Marcus Peters and defensive end Robert Quinn already have new homes for 2018.

Before another wave of players change addresses, I've assembled five proposed swaps featuring marquee players, beginning with Seattle Seahawks free safety Earl Thomas.

NFL executives proposed, vetted and/or heard rumors about all five of these deals. A bonus sixth trade proposal from an exec solves the Minnesota Vikings' quarterback dilemma with an established veteran other than Kirk Cousins.

1. The Seattle Seahawks send free safety Earl Thomas to the Dallas Cowboys for interior defensive lineman David Irving and a 2018 second- or third-round pick.

2. The Houston Texans send pass-rusher Jadeveon Clowney to the New England Patriots for a 2018 first-round choice.

Clowney, 25, is a dominant force coming off the first 16-game season of his four-year career. He is scheduled to earn $13.8 million in 2018 before becoming eligible for free agency. He had 9.5 sacks last season. The NFL credited him with 21 tackles for loss, which ranked second to former Patriots linebacker Chandler Jones, who had 28 with Arizona.

If the Texans think J.J. Watt will justify his current expensive contract for years to come, they could have reservations about paying Clowney even more. This deal would help Houston recoup an early pick after sending its second-rounder to Cleveland in the Brock Osweiler deal.

New England owns two second-round choices, having picked up one from San Francisco in the Jimmy Garoppolo trade. Parting with the 31st overall choice would not hurt too badly. In Clowney, the Patriots would be getting a badly needed game-changer on defense for the next season or two. New England could then land a compensatory pick if the team decided to let Clowney leave in free agency. Clowney would depart with a Super Bowl ring as a parting gift -- if all goes according to plan.

3. The Dallas Cowboys send WR Dez Bryant to the Miami Dolphins or Chicago Bears for a 2018 sixth-round pick.

4. The Oakland Raiders send a 2018 second-round pick to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for DT Gerald McCoy.

5. The New England Patriots send WR Brandin Cooks to the Washington Redskins or Chicago Bears for a 2018 second-round choice.

6. The Los Angeles Chargers send QB Philip Rivers to the Minnesota Vikings for 2018 second-round selection and 2019 first-round pick.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Only a clown would trade Clowney now.

juanm34 likes this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

For the pats first? You have to be joking

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Depends on the offer

Has to be a very big one

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

What breaking the bank for Jadeveon Clowney would mean for J.J. Watt, Texans

18. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

19. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

I don’t understand why it has to be a max deal. Clowney is good but you don’t win with max deal players

body slam likes this.
  20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When Clowney originally had his microfracture surgery, I read a bunch of articles in medical journals about the process.

The first point that they make when drescibing the procedure is to describe the new tissue as "pseudocartilage" - it isnt as strong as and is structurally different from original cartilage. They then all go on to indicate that the new tissue begins to deteriorate at 4 years. At the time I took notice at how uniform that 4 year declaration was across sources.

Not entirely sure how that plays out in practical terms, but given how recent the procedure is, have there been any NFL players to play 8 or 10 years after having microfracture surgery?

Given standard NFL practice, guys often don't make it to the end of their contracts anyway, but that would be in the back of my mind.