1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it time to trade Clowney?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mario_v, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

2. Buck Turgidson

conquistador#11 and BigShasta like this.
  3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

We'd have wanted two number ones, at minimum.

red5rocket likes this.
  4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Clowney is special like Watt. You can't get equal value.

Texaans defense just needs a complete game to show people how special they can be. They stepped up against Denver.

They will get better and be scary. Guys are still getting back to game shape from injuries

UTSA2step likes this.
  5. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

On 610 this morning. All of them said no we wouldn’t trade Clowney for Gurley.

I don’t care but that’s insane. Gurley is the best player in the NFL.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  6. AFS

AFS Member

Positional scarcity. Much easier to find a stud running back than a stud pass rusher.

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Plus Gurley's production would be seriously impacted by our O-line. Clowney's effectiveness is not really limited by anyone else.

plee likes this.
  8. mario_v

mario_v Member

Clowney is probably one of the most overrated players in the league. He’s not even half the player Watt was in his prime. He’s not even the best defensive player in his own draft class, Donald and Mack are better.

The way people talk about him, you would think he gets 20 sacks a season. The truth is he’s a slacker and injury prone, who’s gonna coast after he gets paid. Whoever signs him is going to regret it.

macho87, J.R., red5rocket and 2 others like this.
  9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The guy has missed 6 games over the last 3.5 seasons. What basis do you have that he is injury prone?

I'm not totally in disagreement that whoever signs him will regret it. I think he is going to get a huge payday and I am worried that he will let off the gas pedal once he gets that payday, but I don't know I would call him a slacker.

10. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Find me Gurley.

11. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Agree. He’s a highlight guy. I’m not sold him being this GREAT player everyone projects him to be.

12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Trust me. Gurley will figure **** out. Physically most gifted player.

Guess it’s like saying...

Take Lebron, Durant, Westbrook vs Embiid.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Agreed he is not in Watt's league in terms of production but Watt is making a strong case for best defensive player ever.

Watt's 2012 14 and 15 are some of the greatest seasons ever. He is in a league of his own forget Clowney

That being said Clowney can absolutely destroy an offense. His linebacking ability combined with size and strength are exceptional in its own right. He just isnt watt but still special

I don't know if the difference is their consistent effort. Clowney has kind of shedded that rep. I dont watch closely play after play to make a definitive statement on the subject

14. AFS

AFS Member

Can't find you Gurley, but I can find you Kamara (3rd round pick), Kareem Hunt (3rd round pick), Leveon Bell (2nd round pick), Dalvin Cook (2nd round pick), Devonta Freeman (fourth round pick), Jordan Howard (5th round pick), etc. It's a position where you can draft studs relatively easily. Why overpay for one with a pass rusher who is much more difficult to obtain?

Two Sandwiches, Ziggy and RasaqBoi like this.
  15. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Good post.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

Calling Clowney a pass rusher isn't really fair because a pass rusher is usually judged by the number of sacks. He does get qb hits and hurries but he is even better against the run. He is just as disruptive as Donald and Mack although not always as effective. Plus when was the last time you saw those two chasing down pass catchers from behind.

17. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

My co-host on our podcast discussed this in depth the past week. People who don't watch game tape, just don't appreciate everything Clowney does on the defense. The unfortunate thing for Clowney is, he is going to demand a elite pass rushing contract without the "numbers" that should come along with those.

Clowney is a freak of nature, and if he had the freedom to pass rush like Watt, I think he could get 15-20 sacks, but his disruption of the offensive blocking is worth far more than those sacks.

I think the Texans likely franchise tag him, putting a priority on getting Kareem and Honeybadger under contract.

18. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, Clowney is a freak of nature but it seems as if he does have the freedom like Watt. He rushes from and side of the line, even bull rushes the center.

19. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

JJ dictates where Clowney can rush, because JJ gets first "pick." This is why I think it may be tough resigning Clowney, and why they may have to franchise tag him. He plays second fiddle to Watt in nearly every aspect even though he is clearly a better physical talent. Clowney gets dinged for his "motor" and taking plays off, but we have no idea if he would maintain an high level of effort if he was "the man" and people were scheming to enable him to succeed, and not the other way around.

20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

JJ doesn’t have anything to do with Clowney excepting a Texans contract. He most likely will go to the highest bidder regardless (if he’s not franchised)