1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Giannis Antetokounmpo the future best player in the NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheRealist137, Nov 26, 2016.

1. ilias

ilias Member

That's a great argument. You've offered no facts. Watch some basketball...Out

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

don't need to when someone reaches their final judgements 30 games into a season without legit supporting track records. You were probably also on board with the classic Beverley's defense is fraud thread 10 games into the season

*Attention* The 3rd best player in the league in today's NBA has these whopping accolades under his belt. Just utterly impressive

#62 YOLO, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  3. DMO (DJ remix)

The dude is a Greek, what do you expect from homer, its would be like me saying D-MO is great (he sucks monkey balls).

pippendagimp likes this.
  4. ilias

ilias Member

What final judgement are you talking about? I'm talking about THIS season, THESE first 34 games he has played and how they compare against other players' performance. Again, you offer no facts just uninformed opinions. 2 players have played better THIS season (Lebron, KD). You can make an argument for Harden and Westbrook, but Harden is one-way, while Westbrook is inefficient. You sound like a post-truther.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol so the guy who is being this stat geek acknowledged PER yet criticizes the guy with the higher PER as being inefficient so does that stat count to you or not? The other guy is arguably the front runner for MVP. #playeronlyfan

Apparently, team success has no bearing again #playeronlyfan

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm not agreeing that he is indeed top 3. But why do you have to judge a young player by his first 3 seasons? We are talking about how he's doing now and projecting how he will be like. Guys like Curry and Harden weren't top 10 until after a few seasons into their careers.

malakas likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

because it's a process. at least that's how i reach judgements on players. I don't reach conclusions based on what someone does a 3rd of the way of an incomplete season. That's very much unproven still. you walk before you can run right. You don't all of a sudden become a top 3 player while skipping things like being consistent night in and night out year after year, becoming an all star, becoming an all nba player, making others around you better, becoming a complete player in all aspects, recognized as a winning player who can lead their team to success, have postseason success. It's an absolute insult imo for someone to call this guy a top 3 player right now above so many of these other guys who have accomplished a ton in their own right. You don't reach that status after 30 games

8. Lightsnowaction

Yes, unless Embiid or KAT or unknown/known prospect becomes better.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yes, I agree that he is unproven and therefore too early to judge. I'm just saying invoking his first 3 seasons isn't going to help. Some players develop faster or slower than others. Looking forward rather than backward is how we evaluate young players. What he is doing this season is much more important than what he did 3 years ago.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

Especially for young players, I still take into account previous years and how they've progressed both individually and their effect team wise if there was any, because like I said, I look at it in steps so in terms of establishing themselves in the league and climbing that ladder of players looking backwards does apply to me in that sense imo of course.

#70 YOLO, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  11. malakas

malakas Member

Giannis is absolutely NOT a top 3 player right now and for sure not better than Harden.
    Statictics isn't everything.
    Why? Because first of all he has just elevated his game to top 10 superstar level this December. Before that he was top 15-20.
    Secondly Harden is much better scorer and playmaker.
    Giannis is just figuring out how to take advantage/spamming basically the FT line this month. He also just figured out this month how to harness his over agressiveness in D and not get in early foul trouble.
    Most of all Giannis doesn't have good iso moves and isn't clutch. (except THIS last game which is the first time lol).
    Wake me up when Giannis can take the team on his back in the final minutes most games and then we can put him in top 5.
    Right now he's worse than Harden, Lebron (playoff mode), Durant, Curry, Westbrook , CP3, Anthony Davis and same with Kawhi.
    Better thn Butler, Griffin , Cousins.
    Top 10 is the right ranking.

YaoMing#1 and YOLO like this.
  12. malakas

malakas Member

This season isn't only December it's also November. Watch a game in November and come say that Giannis is better than Harden.
    Remember how he was negated against Whiteside against the Heat? Remember the bad loss against the Mavs where he travelled in the last possesion and bricked it? Remember how he couldn't stay in the court because of constant foul trouble?
    Harden is better and more consistent at this point this season. Most of all he leads his team to wins.
    The Bucks when they reach 0.500 they immediately play down to their competition and lose even against crap teams. Like the Minny loss.

Not to mention than even in the last game against the Knicks Giannis played like crap and the best player was Monroe.

13. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I watched that game too

I like jimmy a lot and I hope they do start winning. I have family in Chicago and they want the bulls to win bad.

I like hoiberg too I feel like he's getting a raw deal. With that said I'm interested in seeing how they play out with them making jimmy more there pg. it's worked well the last two games.

I still think GA is better than jimmy though. The bucks have been a surprise team and it's because of him.

malakas likes this.
  14. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I'm with you anyone saying GA is better than harden!?!?

There stupid.

Harden is maybe the best player in the league and has avg 50 wins a season for going in 5 straight years as the best player. He's been a top 5 guy imo for three years.

But GA is a top 10 player right now.

He's we're harden was his first year in houston. He'll get hyped up more than he should then beat down when he shouldn't then he'll settle in as a MVP top 5 player when he's 26-27 like harden.

malakas likes this.
  15. DirtyDizzil

DirtyDizzil Member

That Giannis guy is awesome

16. malakas

malakas Member

I don't know if it will take 4 more years to settle as Mvp top 5 player because of his rate of improvement.
    When I first posted in the thread in November I put him obejctively at top 15-25 (depending on consistency)
    But what people don't realise is that this guy is absolutely a monster in improvement.
    It's not that he has a crazy shooting spree it's just he shows improvements even IN season in areas that are there to stay like avoiding fouls, going to the line and go to moves.
    Watching a game last month to this month is almost night and day.
    IF he continues like this, by next year he will be top 5 maybe top 3.

BTW, he is Hakeem's favourite current player. :) They said it in the jump yesterday.

jeffvangundy likes this.
  17. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Your right I guess I said 5 years because I believe harden was 22 when he first came to houston he balled out espn rated him number 4 in the league then he kinda stumbled but was still voted a top 10 player than he came back had a MVP year was a top 5 player last year was I don't know what to call it and now harden at 27 has taken it to another level a true MVP best player in the game convo.

GA is on that track he'll be MVP caliber prob at 25 hell he'll be top 10 in MVP this year as harden was at the same age so I get what your saying.

I just think that GA won't hit his stride as the top dog in the league till he's 26-27.

But I think he can crack top 5 in 2 years maybe sooner. I really believe at the end of next year the only guys clearly ahead of him will be Lebron harden and KD. He can pass up everyone else.

18. vator

vator Contributing Member

I started a topic about him July 17, 2014.

One of the things I said about him at the time. http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/611-point-guard-the-greek-freak.256879/

It may have been going out on a limb at the time considering all the hype around Wiggins back then, but right now it is a no brainer. Just watching him play, even though he was super raw, you could tell that he had something very special that went beyond superior genetics and ridiculous athleticism. He is a special talent. I don't see any reason why he couldn't one day be the best player in the NBA. He is already getting close to that level now and his game still has room to grow which is very scary.

What could have been? I remember Morey going to watch this kid overseas and seemed legit interested.

19. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Dude the Greek freak playin next to harden?!???

Omg that team would win 5 chips.

He would be Hardens pippin on steroids.

20. Outlier

Outlier Member

Yolo get over yourself and quit being jealous.

Giannis is the real deal and i would build around him over Harden any day.