1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Facebook Segregated? If So, Does It Matter?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, May 27, 2019.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I say yes and it doesn't mattee. Its natural and its says how prominent race is as a factor in how we idetify each other. I dont its negative, its just it is what it is.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Do you mean that most blacks on FB have black friends and most whites have white friends or something else?

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Black Likes Matter

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Not just that but you really only communicate with your race on regular basis

Yoy only respond like likes to your race.

5. amaru

amaru Member

I'm confused about the purpose behind this post. I'm assuming you're talking about de facto segregation. If that's the case then I don't have an issue with it.....in fact, I prefer it. While I have friends from different ethnicities and nationalities on my friend's list (mostly from my time in the Army and College), the majority of the people that I communicate with are of African descent. We have similar experiences and worldviews on most topics. I'm also generally able to find common ground with other brown skinned people who are not black (i.e non-white Hispanics, East Indians, Amerindians etc). I find that as I am getting older and more set in my ways and beliefs, I'm becoming less interested in explaining things to people who see the world differently especially if they have a problem with my belief system. Honestly, I feel that I can only be my genuine self around people that look like me (with a few notable exceptions).

mdrowe00, Rocket River and pgabriel like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Respect the honesty.

amaru likes this.
  7. bobrek

I regularly respond to and message with my black friends on Facebook as does my wife, son, his wife, my daughter and my eldest granddaughter as well as my high school friends, my brother, sister, cousins, etc. so...my anecdotal evidence indicates that Facebook is very integrated.

pgabriel likes this.
  8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I have a lot of white friends fom high school. Im always on Facebook but respond to their posts very seldom.

They dont respond to mine. i dont talk a lot politcs or race.

9. amaru

amaru Member

I think my views are known on Facebook but I generally don't post overtly political things because of the potential for backlash. America doesn't generally receive outspoken black people very well.

Rocket River likes this.
  10. bobrek

Jesse Jackson faints...

11. amaru

amaru Member

F*ck Jesse Jackson. He's added little to nothing of value to the black community, or any community really, in many years. I'd wish he disappear. Most educated black people I know groan when we see him on tv. He's trash. I wish he'd take Al Sharpton, Ben Carson and Benjamin Crump with him.

jo mama, Rocket River and Nook like this.
  12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

A lot of my white friends do stuff like wish me happy birthday. I do have black friends who communicate with white people regularly but most dont.

Friends in sales jobs communicate with everyone. I think blacks from more liberal areas might communicate with them more than blacks areas blacks from conservative areas. And i think youmger people may communicate across race more in general

13. bobrek

It was a tongue in cheek comment

amaru likes this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Facebook is not a safe space.
    People try to make it as safe as possible.
    I generally limit how many 'work friends' are added

People add people based on friendships, mutual interests, etc
    Groups allow people to subdivide based on those things
    While I might be in a Group for comicbook folx. . .and another for black comic book folx
    One for general Comic convo . .the other for more pointed comic convo that would be drowned out by the bigger group
    Nature of life

Segregation is not the issue . .. never was
    The inequal treatment is always the issue

Rocket River

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

No-one under 25 has facebook. It's meant for middle aged people looking to stalk their high school crushes and grandparents.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This is the reason black and white folx don't integrate on Facebook -- too much whitey snark.

17. Buck Turgidson

My facebook is 100% segregated. There's the group "people who are on facebook" and then there's the group "me".

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Would be the opposite for me. Granted 2 of the more engaging people of my Facebook friends happen to be black and I don't post much on FB.

I do think that is mostly true, but not much different than real life, where people tend to identify more with their own race.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's insane to me that people still use facebook.
    i have only not completely disconnected because its a de facto contact book.
    it's pure fake or "manufactured" news, and newsfeeds.

the other options are much better.

20. IBTL

IBTL Member

Im not sure but I cant get over how obsessed black people are about black and white. Op included. Its weird.

I think about black people as much as i do native american or icelandic.. as in hardly at all. sorry