1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Everyone Happy With The Texans #1 Pick Yet?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by imoffg33, Nov 9, 2006.

1. imoffg33

imoffg33 Member

or are there still alot of you pro-vince or pro-reggie people out there?

2. updawg

updawg Member

1st choice = trade #1
    2nd choice = pick VY
    3rd choice = Mario
    4th choice = bush

Happy with Mario so far, he's going to be good

3. Summer Song Giver

I love Mario and think he will anchor the defense for many years.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'd love to have Vince here playing with the Texans.

But I don't resent Mario. He's very easy to root for, and I'm glad the Texans have him.

5. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i was pissed they didn't pick Bush b/c honestly, i believed the hype. after week 3 or so, i was convinced they made the right choice.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I am very happy with it. I initially wanted Bush, but not anymore. Never wanted Vince, he looks pretty bad out there as well.

2nd choice, hmm maybe Colston!

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I was upset when I heard the news that we weren't drafting Reggie (while watching the Astros game the night before the draft). I thought they were joking.

It took a few days for me to calm down and understand how bad our defense was and how much we needed a pass rusher.

Now I'm good with the Mario pick.

I was never convinced (and I'm still not) that VY is going to be a great NFL QB. (flame on)

8. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

not at all, the team isnt going anywhere, franchise qb still sucks IMO and Vince was the right choice for houston

i will admit i am happy with mario improving the defense but still think we needed a true leader on the team (vince)

9. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I was always happy they didn't pick Bush. I wanted AJ Hawk, and I definitely think now that Mario was a better choice. I still think an even better choice would have been trade down a couple of spots and pick D'Brickashaw Ferguson. But the Texans definitely made a great choice.

10. Buck Turgidson

I'm incredibly happy with their entire draft. Bodes well for the future, and for future draft competence.

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

First choice: trade down for multiple first rounders or first + high second
    Second Choice: Swap picks to take Brick
    Major distance in preference
    Third Choice: Take Reggie
    Fourth Choice: Take Vince
    Fifth Choice: Take Mario

In the end, I felt that if we weren't going to need a #1 pick guy, than we shouldn't draft with the #1 pick. Move it, even if it isn't for a breath-taking return. There's a significant cap burden that comes along with the top pick in the draft, one that I don't feel (then or now) that Mario justifies. I acknowledge that the trade offers weren't knocking anyone's socks off, and I don't mean to imply that we passed on an opportunity to make a move. But in the end, I don't think we can puff out our chests over selecting Mario as the top pick. He's doing very well, but he doesn't look like a player that frightens the hell out of offenses either. I think he has the potential to be a pro bowler, but I don't see him becoming a superstar.

We didn't screw up, but we didn't hit the jackpot, either.

Evan

12. MadMax

that's what is most encouraging to me. not just that they hit on mario...but that they hit so well in subsequent picks. particulalry with ryans.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I wish they got VY

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Wanted VY from the start, still think he will be the best player to come out of the draft.

Was never really pissed about picking up Mario, he's starting to show why the Texans made him the #1 pick.

15. Buck Turgidson

It's just amazing to me that they have as many (more?) 2nd-6th round picks contributing this year as they have from the other drafts combined.

16. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

What he said...Hind sight is always 20/20...Still love the Texans...Funny, you don't here from the analysts saying the texans were right, given Reggie's no show so far...

17. MadMax

i think most VY guys didn't have a problem with mario. by the time they picked, they had already extended carr's contract and it seemed highly unlikely then they would take VY...that ship had sailed.

i think the friction between VY and Bush supporters made most VY guys just fine with Mario.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You guys really don't appreciate how much the defense has improved with Mario and Ryans back there.

They were AWFUL last year (and the first 3 weeks of this season)... worse than the offense.... and they had even less untapped potential with the players they had.

Mario was considered a difference maker by every single team out there. We really should appreciate what we have.

19. updawg

updawg Member

truly disgusting how bad the previous staff was.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

lets not forget daniels.