1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Clint Capela really the answer at the C position?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Oct 13, 2017.

?

Is Clint Capela really the answer at the C position?

1. Yes- Its just preseason

155 vote(s)
    71.1%
  2. No- Upgrade needed by the deadline

63 vote(s)
    28.9%
  1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love Clint because we drafted and developed him. He is a really nice starting C. That said, I think we all have our eyes on Demarcus Cousins.

The Pelicans are going to lick balls this year, but to beat out any offers we really need Cuz to narrow his list ala Carmelo, and then we need to figure out how to only deal with Ryno's contract.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  2. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Not only that, Daryl Morey and D'Antoni actually want Cousins. I'm not convinced they were in awe of picking up Carmelo.

3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Then I agree with that BUT that’s best case scenario. Seems more like a wish then a possibility. I just think your reaching a little bit.

4. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

not really, it has been a team that Cousins wants to stay too

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

it’s a possibility if the Pelicans suck and decide to put Cousins on the market because they know he won’t re-sign there...Cousins value will be low because he will be a free agent in a few months and other things like his temperament, difficulty to handle and keep in check, etc...teams won’t be offering much of anything unless they think they have a good chance of re-signing him

Cousins and his agent have already played the “I won’t re-sign with your team” game before

from Woj...

“Jarinn Akana and Dan Fegan, who represent Cousins, they did their job here, which was to — and this also complicated what they could get in a trade — Jarinn came out publicly last night and privately they told teams, ‘If you trade for Cousins, we’re telling you, he may not stay. He may nor re-sign with you. The Lakers are going to have a lot of cap space again potentially in a couple years. He could go to L.A. as a free agent. He might not stay in New Orleans or he might not stay in Phoenix or anywhere else...”

The Pelicans took that gamble because they had nothing to lose and hoped that AD and over a year of convincing could get Cousins to stay. Will other teams offer up much for him if his agent does the same thing again and they now only have a few months to convince him to stay? What will their trade packages be for him in that scenario?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Capela was the best Rocket against San Antonio

Please stop with the false narrative he cleans up on weak compe3

RudyTBag likes this.
  7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Put up some nice numbers last night, but what's weird is that I barely noticed him out there. I guess it's because we don't go to him offensively and he just catches lobs and open dunks.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He put up good numbers but so did Willie Cauley Stein. Capela was not very impactful on the defensive side at all.

D-rock and mfastx like this.
  9. bongman

bongman Member

Stein was a 6th overall pick playing for a lottery team and is one year older than Cap. I would expect Stein to completely dominate a younger player who got drafted late first round especially when he is one of the go to guys of the team. If you don't think 17 rebounds is a defensive impact, not sure what to say.

AirBud#10 and RudyTBag like this.
  10. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Thank you.

He was the best big on a floor with LA and Gasol, protecting the rim like a mongrel. We fell apart for other reasons.

(There is no question that Draymond is a tough matchup for Clint, but maybe a healthy Chris Paul can get him more involved. Worst case scenario, PJ Tucker at C)

11. hakeemthagreat

Maybe Morey. But my hunch is MDA wasn't really behind Melo being here. I remember he did a offseason video talking about the Melo possiblity and did not look very fond of having Melo here or the rumors floating. Imagine MDA coming off winning COY, then us trading key players for the guy who previously got him fired.

With that said, I wouldn't be mad if we got Cousins. I'd rather have AD but Cousins aint bad

RudyTBag likes this.
  12. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Rockets we falling apart in the 4th until Capela came back in. Had an impact defensive play immediately and then a basket on the other end.

He has brought something new to his game every single year. I was worried in pre-season because it seemed like his extra bulk was weighing him down and he lost his bounce and versatility but I was wrong.

Rockets aren't giving up Capela and aren't going after Cousins. Cousins in a much better player but his game wouldn't translate to our system at all. Capela can stay in front of PG's, runs the court very well. His body and game fits the offense we want to run to perfection.

We need to unload Anderson some how. His movement and mechanics are too slow for our system.. this would be the same issue if we had Cousins aswell.

13. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Why would the Rockets need Cousins? They don't need more scorers especially a low efficiency blackhole like Cousins. They need defenders that can score off the ball.

D-rock likes this.
  14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Cousins is also a headcase. Capela will never cause chemistry issues unless he starts singing to his teammates.

15. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Did golden state need Durant?

RudyTBag likes this.
  16. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

To abuse and obliterate the Warriors in the paint. He is a dribble drive C that can hit the three and finish at the rim. He blocked 7 damn shots last night. On the right team, dude is a nightmare matchup and in my eyes the only potentially available guy that could take a fat dump on Draymond Green's carcass. Plus, in a pick and roll you need a guy like Cousins to finish under duress. There is no way in hell Draymond Green is tripping up Cousins, and If need be we could play 5 out, which is HUGE.

Low efficiency just isn't true with Cousins anymore. He is highly efficient.

JayGoogle likes this.
  17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The idea would be that CP3 would keep him in check.

Point is, we're not beating the Warriors as we are built now in a 7 game series. I just don't see it.

Cousins gives us that chance. They have absolutely no one to stop him and he gives a new dimension to the Rockets that they simply can't counter.

If provided, Morey will take the risk I guess. I don't think it is even that much of a risk, either Cousins now or risk losing CP3 later to a team that has a better chance to win than just him and Harden.

Also, winning cures a lot of ills. Maybe that's all Cousins needs.

RudyTBag likes this.
  18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

A little bit of strife and disagreement is often a good thing for a championship team. It's not always the happy go lucky squad that wins rings.

Rondo loved him, and Rondo is as insanely competitive as they get. Cousins is also boys with Trevor, Harden and the West Coast Connection.

JayGoogle likes this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Still a yes for me.

DD

20. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Durant is 5x the player than Cousins is, an elite defender and way better off the ball and I hate Durant.