1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is America ready for a woman (Hilary) or black (Obama) presidential candidate?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by triplet, Nov 4, 2004.

Tags:
  1. triplet

triplet Contributing Member

I would say probably not in 2008.

But is it possible for one of them to get the democratic nominee?

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I will have no problem voting for woman or minority as long as they are good candidate. I would never vote for some one like Candi Rice though.

Mark:eek:

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yes.

No.

Yes.

4. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Judging by the surprise surge of socially conservative voters in this last election I would say no on both counts.

5. triplet

Then how about a female black republic governor from south, who has served in the military and whose father is a priest? If we happen to have such a combination.....

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

What exactly are you saying?

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

Is there any particular reason why Obama is such a big story? He won a Senate seat in a democratic state. What's there to be excited about?

As for Hilary, I really have no idea what her national support is. I'd say if any woman can do it, she can. But it's going to be awfully tough considering the southern states are unlikely going to vote for her.

8. Cesar^Geronimo

I would have no problems voting for a woman or black person and I am socially conservative. My decision would be based upon their record and their views not their gender or skin color.

Heck, it would be great if a woman was elected president -- then we'd only have to pay her 1/2 as much as a man

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

True, but the Southern states need to be a key focal point for any Democratic runner in the 08' election because those states have absolutely killed the Demos in the last two elections.

10. Buck Turgidson

Have you read much about him? Have you heard him speak?

11. triplet

And, I mean, you don't have to worry about the interns in the White House too much...

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

I have done both. The guy is eloquent and smart. But again, so? Once he's in office, he'll be one of 44 Democratic senators who'll continously be at the mercy of their Republican counterparts. He's hardly shown incredible nationwide appeal despite the efforts to boost him.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yikes. I think Condi Rice is probably the most dishonest member of Bush's entire administration. She also falls closely behind Ashcroft as someone who would clamp down on our civil rights and freedoms.

She lied and has continued to do so about the aluminum tubing for Saddam. She was dishonest when talking about the memo concerning OBL striking the U.S. She was trying to weasel out of testifying all together prior to that.

She asked that media not to play unapproved tapes of Bin Laden's messages because she didn't want people to be influenced by them.

There are other cases of her dishonesty, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

14. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, you're right. If there's one thing the Democratic Party doesn't need, it's a new, young, charismatic, moderate voice.

Gephardt in '08!!!

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

Obama hadn't sound sounded any more moderate than Kerry this election. But... I could be wrong. If I were the Democrats, I'd much rather go for someone like Edwards(go with the southern votes idea) or Hilary(for women's votes).

16. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Both Hilary and Condi Rice would be lightning rods if they got either parties nomination.

The Dems have to concentrate on running a candidate that would attract voters, not polarize them.

17. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

How much has America changed in the 20 years since Geraldine Ferraro?

I'm not blaming her for this blowout but I reckon she had something to do with it:

[​IMG]

18. Buck Turgidson

Kerry *is* a moderate...he was just a ****ty, ****ty, ****ty (ad infinitum) candidate. Hillary is way too divisive a political figure; can you honestly see her faring any better than Kerry?

Edwards/Obama in '08.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Rice refered to Bush as, "My husband... ," which I found beyond bizarre. Anyone who's married or, heck, single, like Rice, tell me the last time you heard someone make a slip like that. It just doesn't happen.

That, and the time on CNN when she was coming towards the camera with a broad grin on her face and, as she began to turn a corner, thinking the cameras were off her, instantly changed her expression to one of pure hatred. CNN only showed it a couple of times (I caught it live) before that look of hatred was cut from the shot. If I remember correctly, she was going in to testify before the 9/11 Commission.

Rice, in my opinion, is so far over her head it isn't funny. If Bush were smart, he would replace her. But, if he were smart, he would have replaced more than a couple of Cabinet members and advisors who've given him terrible direction. We'll see what he ends up doing. This is when there are typically changes in a second term... the next few months. I hope he makes some. He needs to.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

A black man, yes. I don't see the US voting in a female president anytime soon. The Democrats can't afford to play with a handicap. The Republicans are more likely to try it, but I just don't see it happening.