1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In the hands of God

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 30, 2020.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just like Jesus would have wanted.

Nook and mdrowe00 like this.
  2. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Branch Covidians keeping them trolls awfully quiet this week

Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Billy Gibbons wouldn't tolerate this ****, he'd send all them churchfolk back home.

FranchiseBlade and Invisible Fan like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

You know that churches in Texas can do this too, right?

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Serving Christ through the community is a powerful mission. I'm not sure why it has to be inside a building that happens to act as a church.

Watch it together online. Do FaceTime with the pastor or find a church with one who is accessible.

After three weeks of isolation, I've become snippy at home and at work. I get how anxiety and depression can grow, esp for people working in "essential" service jobs that are higher risk and lower pay.

These are trying times a church would excel at.

But when a church is the building itself, or people are guilted or shamed into attending a Holy Day, that's the ugly habits I want no part of

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't like these schadenfreude stories.

jiggyfly and Invisible Fan like this.
  8. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I just go outside in my backyard and do an occasional rosary, find some pertinent readings online, and just listen to the sound of nature in my backyard in silent reflection. Takes all of maybe 15 minutes to do, and is something that can be done at home, work or in traffic. Or just a quick prayer before passing out before bed. Nothing too serious, but enough to let a higher power know that I care. To each their own that finds a sense of spirituality only in group communal settings though.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am all for pointing out stupidity and ignorance.

But I am not liking holding up peoples deaths as a gotcha moment.

It's kind of icky.

jcf likes this.
  10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

One thing to be ignorant. One thing to have your ignorance cost you your life. This kind of ignorance endangers everyone around you. So, I don't feel bad about this at all.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

One man's schadenfreude story is another man's cautionary tale is another man's poetic justice.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The family still blames the media for them not trusting them rather than accepting that they are the ones who actually religously watch fake news (Fox News)

conquistador#11 likes this.
  13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Since when did the right to religion and assembly become a privilege? I don't approve of them meeting and think they should go digital, but really we need to be careful about how authoritarian we get when handling the virus. And I am just bringing this up as a point we should consider really. I am not pro gathering right now and what they are doing is irresponsible make no mistake. BUT the constitution is not an optional deal. Maybe there are some laws on the books to support arresting people for this, but are they constitutional? Will these actions hold up if challenged in court?

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

is another man's made for TV movie

conquistador#11 and No Worries like this.
  15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I get you. But if freedom of assembly is paramount, it's not just churches being denied their constitutional rights. I think this might be a cry-fire-in-a-crowded-theatre sort of deal though. To exercise your constitutional right to assemble at this time, you are being grossly negligent about public safety. I'm happy to have the courts rule on it. Arrest parishioners who violate the orders and 2-3 years from now we'll know if they were oppressed -- but in the mean time, it keeps the infections down.

conquistador#11 and dachuda86 like this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To follow up on Juan Valdez's post where does one's rights stand when they potentially hurt other's rights? As we all should know rights are not absolute and this is a situation where by exercising rights of assembly and worship could affect many many others besides those exercising them.

conquistador#11, Nook and Deckard like this.
  17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It’s no different than yelling “fire!” In a theatre. That’s restricting “freedom of speech,” but for the safety of the general public, it’s still illegal.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Billy Graham was a two faced *******.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Well maybe his wife, children and friends will learn that science trumps “my gut feeling”....

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Not as bad as his son.

Hakeemtheking and Nook like this.