1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In 20+ years as a Rockets fan, I've never felt less interested in the Rockets' future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Jan 24, 2020.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I said the same thing a week ago. You just said it better than I did. I’m about fed up with it.

Mathloom likes this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's not just the Rockets. It's the entire future that holds no promise. Nobody thinks the year 2120 is gonna be good. The debate is basically how shitty.

Kids earn less than their parents, an ever tinier slice of the populace engorges itself while tossing the rest in the toilet, climate change catastrophe is already here, democracy, transparency and cooperation are on the wane while autocracy, corruption and polarization rise at home and abroad, our country is ruled by a laughably unfit buffoon, and technology instead of providing a way out provides an accelerant to our own destruction because scalability or something.

Futurism is dead, in the macro and micro.

But, sooner or later, Hardens shot is gonna turn the corner. So there's that!

#62 SamFisher, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    pasox2 and jacoby like this.
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

True.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

1. Limited offense variety, this leads to predictability and we fall into the hands of the refs when they dont call our drive fouls.

2. Harden, lackadaisical in all categories except chucking 3s.

3. No ball movement.

4. Coaching is nonexistent.

5. No young players development or drafted.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I.D.I.O.T.
    [​IMG]

SamFisher and RayRay10 like this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

More like Gollum's uglier, dumber, greedier, more corrupt little brother.

DeBeards and Wulaw Horn like this.
  8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I have lost some interest this year given their lackluster play, but in every respect I’m still 100% more invested than the average casual fan is of an nba team.

What still gives me some faith is Morey. If he leaves the team and Tillfart brings in a yes man I think it’ll be really hard for me to not be cynical about the teams future and take a bit of a break. Especially with the cost of league pass from not being in Houston.

What has been the most entertaining thing to me outside of some really great runs in season when the team gets hot, is the roster maneuvering creativity of Morey. After Tillman got his hand in the cookie jar there is noticeable change in strategy that I just can’t understand and I can’t help but feel like it’s a rebuke to Moreyball. Tillman I don’t think realizes that it’s actually a big part of what kept fans engaged during the transition from Yao to Harden to now.

Either way even with Morey staying I just don’t have the same level of interest and the uninspired play just compounds the issue to me. So I’m still here.... still have Woj on push notification. Still waiting to see what can happen to give this team some life heading into the home stretch of the season in a year where I feel the league is pretty wide open.

But the warning signs are there that fans like me could check out a bit after this year if Tillman does what I think he’s going to do in getting too involved thinking he knows better and the team on and off the court looks more like a Rainforest Cafe type of product than the team I’ve been obsessed with for decades because of the unique and creative ways they can rethink the game on and off the court.

9. Pandaemonaeon

Pandaemonaeon Member

Pure hogwash. No fan who has lived through the post-Dream and post-Yao periods (or even that mediocre era inbetween) can legitimately claim that today seems more hopeless in comparison. The fact that you can whine about championship windows at all is a privilege in itself, there was a time when getting past the 1st round was the zenith of this franchise's ambitions.

joshuaao, HP3, Rocks92 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Far more hopeless. I love all those other eras, and anything was actually possible in terms of internal development or roster changes. Post dream was a new page. Yao era was always exciting despite the eventual heartbreak(s). Francis/Mobley was electric.

I would rather be a lottery team with our picks right now if it's true that Tilman will not go over the LT and the obvious fact that we are not the favorites for the best buyout candidates. It's not necessarily better to make the 2nd round.

No interest in a guaranteed playoff exit, which we're close to right now. Other contenders can lose a guy for the playoffs and live. We can't lose anyone, and still we're not favored against the 2 LA teams. Denver is concerning too because they have homecourt position despite Jokic looking like Homer Simpson early in the season.

We can't win it with this roster plus a decent buyout candidate imo.

MD_in_Training likes this.
  11. Pandaemonaeon

Pandaemonaeon Member

While we're at it you might as well laud that glorious Kevin Martin era, since we're celebrating true mediocrity.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, CP3 is among Top 5 or 6 PGs Alltime not debatable.

Harden prolly Top 2 SG Alltime not debatable.

WB is prolly a better and shorter Tmac without the high end skills but with more drive. Much more durable.

Of course the ambitions were going thru the roofs.

The Yao era and Stevie era didn't have that top heavy talent. Overall talent.

The front court and back court disparity wasn't that great because Tmac would slide into a big SG role at times.

The backcourt was still decent.

#72 daywalker02, Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  13. Mr Chuck Norris

That post T-Mac era when we kept getting the 14th pick in the draft was far worse than this.

14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

At that time, we had the flexibility to make a trade that could change our destiny immediately.

Also known as James Harden.

Right now, we almost can't get better and we can't have the benefits of being worse.

Now if you're done being a dick about a subjective conversation, I'm going to focus my attention elsewhere.

15. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Y’all remember when half our roster was undersized power forwards?

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Of course I remember. Now three-fourth of our roster is guards. We have two undersized power forwards. One of them seldom play. The other plays center half of the time.

davidio840 likes this.
  17. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hopefully we fix that by the forward situation by the trade deadline. I have hope until then. I do love EGO getting back to his best again, and the addition of the inside threat of Westbrook. With a better forward, we can really up our game.

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

In the 40+ years on my Houston Fandom, I haven't more whining b****ES as I've seen on Clutchfans in the last few months. Whine Whine Whine.
    You want some cheese with that Whine?

HP3, Os Trigonum, Plowman and 2 others like this.
  19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

This team will get driven into the ground by Tillman and end up being terrible. Think Cleveland cavs under Gilbert when LeBron isn’t on the team.
    At least Gilbert would pay the luxury tax when it was there to win a title.
    Tilman is just a buffoon. Will destroy the franchise.

20. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Not comparable imo. Gilbert intentionally went into an operating loss to retain a team that wouldn't be the favorite.

That's so so far from where we are with Tilman, who's argument is that he'll spend the LT if a title is essentially guaranteed. Which is what all cheap owners say. Jaymichael Green and Garrett Temple would have been Rockets in exchange for nothing but Knight and a first if Tilman was genuine about spending the LT.