1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In 20+ years as a Rockets fan, I've never felt less interested in the Rockets' future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Both the immediate future and long term future is boring, predictable and mediocre. I'm not talking playing style. I'm talking the fact that this team obviously must pay the luxury tax to match the Lakers, Clippers and Bucks and it can't be done this season. They should have been churning trades to be able to do it before the deadline, obviously there's no interest in that. Tilman wants to keep making incredible profit on top of his loans, and hope that a miracle takes place.

I've watched a grand total of 2 full games this year. Can hardly call myself a fan when I'm mostly consuming highlights and metrics/stats.

James Harden has been a top 3 player in the NBA for damn near 6 consecutive years now, but he would have to be one of the first all-offense no-defense player to not fall off a net rating cliff in their mid 30's. Yes I know his defense has improved. Yes I'm aware that Harden routinely carves out an unexpectedly better future for himself. I'm just saying, that's a major risk.

Westbrook doesn't seem to be the guy who will work on his 3 and cut out the mid range so that his skillset and athleticism even each other out as he ages. Having said that, he's one of the most athletic player I've ever seen at his age. He's still more athletic than half the players getting drafted in the first round. The fact that he hasn't seen a significant bounce up in his stats this season is extremely alarming. Extremely.

I'm not saying all this to just rant. I'm just sad about this team, because I jumped on the bandwagon when my brother lived in Houston in 1994. I just got lucky that the team I supported won. I only knew who Hakeem, Clyde and Barkley were. All the kids in school were wearing Bulls and Lakers gear when I was the lone kid in Dubai wearing a Rockets cap and shirt. They would crack up. Was incredible when the Rockets won. But my team never won a title when I was actually plugged in and aware of the identity of the team and players. I don't feel like it's going to happen. What makes it extra sad is Harden has every bit the on-court impact (+/-) that Hakeem ever had. But Hakeem didn't have to face Durant's Warriors, and Harden did what it takes to win it all in 2017-2018. He was a monster in the regular season and playoffs, picking apart the most talented team in NBA history with Chris Paul taking over when they would overplay Harden.

F this dogshit owner we have. He might as well be from Utah. Everyone else in this organization is ready to win a title.

Cheer me up. I think that's part of what this Rockets family is about. I can't see the silver lining in this thing.

today, gatsby, Mister Beard and 20 others like this.
  2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

The next two weeks will tell me everything I need to know. I’m already dubious of this owner but I’m close to being fully out.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Well, all we can do is look to the trade deadline and maybe Morey can pull a rabbit out of a hat.

If Westbrook can continue, Harden can bounce back, and we can add one solid contributor, we are right there.

slickricky, ShutURBiG! and da_juice like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would have more interest, but they have to pick inside the Top 10 or at least Top 12 again, and keep the picks.

5. Mathloom

Yeah but that's no way to run a team with a goal. It's like someone being broke and buying lottery tickets. Sad and stupid at the same time.

More than half the NBA would be a contender if their top 2 players had career seasons and their GM acquired a key asset without having anything to trade. We're allowing ourselves to be fooled. We're not going to get the best buyout player. Those players know we will still be behind on talent vs main contenders. They can join the top 3 teams and have a talent advantage: which is incidentally what Tilman doesn't understand. He wants his players to make up for his cheapness with effort like some kind of first world luxury sweatshop lol. If we all know how cheap Tilman is, imagine what players' agents think of him.

I really think in this dark era, best to tank and get it over with. Tilman needs 3-4 years to learn the difference between a cheap restaurant and an NBA team. Harden deserves the title he earned in 2017-2018. We need to restructure this team WHILE Morey is here if the LT is a hard cap for us. Can't work with this distribution of $$$.

6. Nook

Nook Member

You want me to try and cheer you up?

The Rockets still have the best player in the world and their second best player is one of the 20 best in the world and Clint Capela is one of the top 5-6 centers in the entire league.

The Rockets have solved their rebounding issues. Eric Gordon will continue to improve as the season goes along.

The Rockets have two first round picks that they can trade if the right player or players become available.

What the Rockets need are wings that can defend, run and not be a huge liability from 3. While these types of players are valued around the league, they are not as hard to add as star players. Also the Rockets needs and system are so that they are capable of finding under utilized players that would prosper in the proper role.

As far as the trade deadline goes, Morey is more likely to pull a rabbit out than anyone other GM. Last year he got JaMychal Green and Garrett Temple for basically a #1 and Knight. Ownership didn't approve it in time, hopefully they learned from their mistake.

So far ownership has told the front office they will go in the luxury tax at the deadline if a player that helps is available.

I hope that makes you feel better..........

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nook is a superhero

giphy.gif

D-rock, slothy420, vick and 3 others like this.
  8. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Don't let the door hit ya.

eliefor3 and Remlap like this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

#NegRep

mario_v and Nook like this.
  10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Tilman will never spend the money to get over the hump. We had an opportunity last year we didn't do jack other than get LTS. The rockets will forever be the Landry's of the NBA. Just okay food that is over rated that cost way too much money for what you get.

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Rockets don't have much a future with how their owner has handled assets.

Need to win now.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Didn't read (too long) but probably agree. There were years we had worse teams and I was invested in the regular season, but I was excited to see Morey wheeling and dealing in the background.

13. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

We just need everybody to play to their potential and at the same time. The problem with this team is they all take turns at being good. Never simultaneously. Last game against the nuggets felt like the first tine that our big three of scoring all had a good night(Gordon harden and Russ). That’s the key. We need them three to score consistently. And defense and rebounding collectively by the whole team. That’s what we did in 2018

D-rock likes this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've always kept my interest in the Rockets, longer than I care to think about. It's probably a curse, but I can think of worse curses to lug around on my back. Hang in there, OP. They will either surprise you in a positive way at some point during the post-season, or they will drive you mad. We will be there, however, past the first round, which is more than a lot of franchises can say, and with arguably the best player and the best back court in the league. Listen to Nook. All is not lost. We will crawl out of the current morass of ineptitude, assuming our current coach will allow it, and our current owner will allow Morey to do his job, in my opinion.

Patience, fryjol7, RayRay10 and 7 others like this.
  15. Mathloom

This is a home run of a post. Thanks man.

My brain is telling me every owner who doesn't intend to pay the LT claims that he/she would do it for the right player. I hope I'm wrong about that.

slickricky, fryjol7 and D-rock like this.
  16. meh

meh Contributing Member

As someone who has watched this team since the early 90s and favorite player when I began watching was Sleepy Floyd, I gotta say there's no way anyone who has followed the Rockets this long can possibly think this team is at the most bottom today. The consecutive 14th picks, the Francis/Mobley dribble the ball out of the air era and Kelvin Cato gets a gigantic contract from preseason blocks, the injuries to Yao and T-Mac every year, the Pippen debacle, heck even the last Dwight year and flaming out of Ty Lawson felt worse than now.

At the very worst the Rockets will either play out Harden's tenure here as a perennial playoff 1st/2nd round exit, or they trade Harden for a boatload of picks and young players to start over. Neither of those worst case is honestly as bad as many of the seasons we've had these past two decades.

17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

@Nook you sound more positive than ever. Thanks for that

D-rock, Deuce and Nook like this.
  18. Handles

Handles Member

I think the future is bleak with our owner, post-Harden, NBA rules and play styles favoring offense too much... it all makes me sad.

Doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy the current product but the future is not looking too hot.

19. Remlap

Remlap Member

Lost interest???

[​IMG]
    Lakers probably still have room on their bandwagon

20. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Do you have a source? I don't remember that, but it wouldn't surprise me.