1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ilhan Omar tweets and other news

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Buck Turgidson

Wow. Democrats can disagree. Let me know when the GOP does the same, instead of walking lockstep...

She is mostly wrong re: Venezuela policy. She is mostly right re: Israel policy.

#341 Buck Turgidson, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019
  2. Buck Turgidson

Who is this "joshua" person?

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Republicans manage their own. They're walking lockstep because of a perceived war among neighbors.

This person annoys me.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Omar appears to have touched a nerve

mick fry and MiddleMan like this.
  5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Iljan Omar schools conservative Republican Reps on morality.

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Said by Kurt Vonnegut:

Some of these young Dems sound like college undergrads. I'd still prefer them to the evil old men who preceded them and who have learned how to hide their ugly greed and hatred behind a smooth facade.

Tomorrow the Dems may grow up, while Mitch McConnell and Jeff Sessions will still be ugly inside.

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Is this the lady that allegedly married her brother?

BruceAndre likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Huh? Giuliani married his cousin... maybe he can answer your question.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No, she's the one who came from a Somali refugee camp and still somehow became more successful than you.

10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

That is debatable. I have been truly blessed. I also havent been married to 2 people at the same time.

I did not mean to offend you with my question about your idol. If her second husband wasnt her brother, then good for her.

11. fchowd0311

I think you just projected a very revealing character flaw. You believe that the only people that deserve a basic level of respect are people you idol.

12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Welp, you are wrong. I give you a basic level of respect and i definitely dont idolize you. You have been more demeaning of me on your last 2 posts than i have been to anyone on this message board. Its ok though. It doesnt bother me but i figured i would point it out since you are assessing my character and success.

13. fchowd0311

If you aren't trying to be cute and genuinely misinterpreted my statements I wasn't referring to you idoling me. I don't know how my phrasing led you to believe that hence why I think you are attempting humor.

14. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

No, your first response in this thread was negative towards my success. Your second response was about my character "flaw". You need to reflect on your comments before you start saying that i lack respect. No big deal. This has been your posting style for years.

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

You assume I idolize someone because I have a basic level of respect for the Individual.

Hence why you have a character flaw in that you only respect people that you are drawn to Inca cult of personality type way.

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You are one weird dude. You do realize this woman is an extremist right?

mick fry likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

Name how she is an extremist.

18. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

So was Representative Ilhan Omar (D-MN) married to two men simultaneously (bigamy), one of who was her brother (incest?).

Maybe some of you could have made this up. I could not have. Wow.

Astrodome likes this.
  19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I took a dip into the morass of right-wing fake news to find your answer. As far as I can tell, the conspiracy theory is that Omar faked a divorce from her first husband and married this other guy to scam immigration and get her citizenship. I can't pin down the brother part exactly, but I guess the insinuation is that there's a lot of uncertainty given that they were refugees so he could be a brother the legal system wouldn't know about. However, from the links I get from Wikipedia, she already became a citizen back in 2000, before either marriage, and this second guy was a Brit anyway. So the immigration angle doesn't seem to make any sense.

National Review tells me the brother rumor stems from an Instagram post by the supposed brother with a picture of his daughter with Omar in which he says it is his niece. Link. Seems like pretty thin gruel on which to spread slanders like that. On bigamy, she seems to have been running 2 parallael marriage tracks -- religious and legal marriages that didn't match up chronologically. But, the marriages seem to be non-concurrent within each track. More importantly, the legal marriages were non-concurrent so proving bigamy would be a tough climb. But, there is still the slut-shaming angle of the woman marrying and having children with two men, I suppose, if you're into that. And her taxes seem to have been complicated.

20. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

If you can bring yourself to do it, take a dip into the large regional newspaper for her area - The Minnesota Star Tribune - which this last weekend published a report about documents that have been released and new questions raised about this. As you know very well, these people are not right wing at all, and in fact are rather left wing.

The reporters at the MST clearly are finding all of this confusing at a minimum - as well they should.

New documents revisit questions about Rep. Ilhan Omar's marriage history

New investigative documents released by a state agency have given fresh life to lingering questions about the marital history of Rep. Ilhan Omar and whether she once married a man — possibly her own brother — to skirt immigration laws.

Omar has denied the allegations in the past, dismissing them as “baseless rumors” first raised in an online Somali politics forum and championed by conservative bloggers during her 2016 campaign for the Minnesota House. But she said little then or since about Ahmed Nur Said Elmi, the former husband who swept into her life in 2009 before a 2011 separation.

The questions surfaced again this month in a state probe of campaign finance violations showing that Omar filed federal taxes in 2014 and 2015 with her current husband, Ahmed Hirsi, while she was still legally married to but separated from Elmi.

Although she has legally corrected the discrepancy, she has declined to say anything about how or why it happened.

The new documents also detail the Omar campaign’s efforts to keep the story of her marriage to Elmi out of the press, arguing that detailed coverage would legitimize the accusations and invade her privacy.

2002: Omar, now 19, marries Ahmed Hirsi, 22, in their “faith tradition” in Minnesota, but they don't legally marry.

2008: Omar and Hirsi, now the parents of two children, reach an “impasse in our life together” and divorce in their faith tradition.

2009: Omar, at 26, marries Ahmed Nur Said Elmi, 23, whom she identifies only as a “British citizen.” School records show he attended high school in St. Paul and studied art at North Dakota State University.

2011: Omar and Elmi end their relationship and divorce in their faith tradition, but do not legally divorce until 2017.

2012: Omar and Hirsi reconcile and have a third child together.

2014-15: Omar files joint tax returns with Hirsi, though they are not yet legally married; she remains legally married to Elmi.

2016: Omar, endorsed by the DFL over longtime incumbent Phyllis Kahn, is elected to the Minnesota House, becoming the first Somali-American, Muslim legislator in the United States. But her campaign is rocked by allegations in a Somali news forum and the conservative Power Line blog suggesting that Elmi is her brother and they married for unspecified immigration benefits.

2017: Omar is granted a legal divorce from Elmi.

2018: Omar legally marries Hirsi and is elected to Congress.​

At a minimum, it appears that Omar has probably engaged in income tax fraud and very possibly immigration fraud as well.

As far as her marriage status, being married in her "faith" will almost certainly be regarded as more important by Muslims that being "legally" married (filing notice with the state), as it assuredly is with any Christians or Jews that are worthy of the label, and I am pretty sure that goes for Hindus as well. If you are married in your "faith," you are married. Period. Filing notice with the state is an administrative matter - a useful action to be sure - but not really critical in determining the legitimacy of a marriage for someone who is inclined to be married according to their faith.

The MST is apparently researching this further, as are a number of other journalistic outlets, so there will be more to come. This is a live story that a lot of people are following. It is really rather sensational, based only what we know from that has actually been documented. But there is surely more to come.

And there is likely law enforcement investigating this as well. Congress should be pursuing this as an ethics matter, both from a point of the apparent tax fraud and the very possible immigration fraud angels. Of course both of these issues are presumably being investigated by the FBI/DOJ at this point as well. As far as the "legality" of her marriages, that would be a Minnesota state issue. The AG in Minnesota is Keith Ellison, so nobody should be holding their breath to see anything actually happen against Omar at the state level, if there even is anything.

But the basis for the federal matters mentioned above appear to sufficiently solid that this is going to continue be an issue for her. It will be interesting to see if she can hold onto her seat with all of this going on.

BruceAndre likes this.