1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ignoring midrange will kill us

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Oct 11, 2017.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

Seeing CP3 and Harden passing up (wide open) mid-range shots is frustrating and will kill us. Take the open shot for crying out loud. Play your natural game, don’t let Morey and MDA mess with your head! Harden has a deadly midrange step back and CP3 can get any shot he wants, so let’s hope he goes back to his natural game and will ignore this threes only strategy quickly!

2. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i agree but for some crazy reason morey and his fanatics think mid range shots are completely useless. open long twos < contested threes. i dunno why they do htis.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

because math. and analytics.

dkim1984, SuperKev, roslolian and 2 others like this.
  4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

OP speak like caveman , is no understand

Jk jk OP , I think we should take more midrange and hope that the coaching staff and players fall into it as the season goes on

Lawlruschang likes this.
  5. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

yeah i keep hearing that crap. hasnt worked in the po's that well though.

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trust the Process

Invisible Fan likes this.
  7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

yup, its becoming more and more one dimensional and predictable. We will still squash weak teams, but against good teams it's going to be ugly.

It's so sad seeing such a creative player like Harden turning into a 1-10 from the three point shooter every other night

8. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

You don't like gsw's dominance as proof?

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

GSW does not play like us at all, they get their shots based on running people off screens. Plus they haven't shot as many threes ever since they got Durant.

Thompson and Curry are miles better three point shooters than Harden and CP3 ever will be, so why force the issue

saleem, Ozzy, cheke64 and 5 others like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden should be taking 6-7 threes a night...around 10 or more if he's really feeling it

instead, he's jacking up 10 threes no matter what and rarely ever looks to take a midranger...his midrange game used to be DEADLY

so far this preseason...

game 1: 12 of his 16 shots were threes
    game 2: 8 of his 11 shots were threes
    game 3: 14 of his 21 shots were threes
    tonight: 8 of his 13 shots were threes

these type of ratios are ridiculous

saleem, Lawlruschang, Ozzy and 5 others like this.
  11. lionaire

lionaire Member

I don't think it's all on Morey. Harden used take that mid-range quite frequently during the McHale years.

Mirri3000 likes this.
  12. BigMaloe

They shot 2,592 3s the year before without him and 2,562 with him.

30 less 3s all year, your right!!!!

Anyways...

Their offense is based on the exact same principle. They want shots at the rim or behind the arc and use motion and off ball screens.

We want shots at the rim or behind the arc but use multiple pnr and pnp sets

roslolian likes this.
  13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I don't mind James or Chris shooting a lot of threes .... If they are wide open and assisted.

But all these ****ing running threes and step back iso 3's need to stop .

I want WIDE OPEN shots .. I don't care if they are threes or not .

When James passes up a wide open midrange to take a contested step back three it's infuriating . It needs to never happen again ... I don't care if he's working on things in the preseason , set good habits now.

It's just not good basketball .

14. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

Morey has said more than once that if you can hit the mid-range shot reliably, you should take it. Certainly Chris Paul would qualify? Not sure what's going on but it's more complex than "Morey says no!"

Rock Block likes this.
  15. carib

carib Member

The GSW games I have watched if Curry, Thompson, Durant or Livingston get open in the mid range they will take that shot. They do shoot a lot of threes but they will take what the defense gives them.

PDJACK7 and HakeemOnlyFan like this.
  16. BigMaloe

Except of course, we are talking about playing starters 30minutes in preseason!

Amiright?

:rolleyes:

17. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Paul needs to be living off midrange.

HakeemOnlyFan and snowconeman22 like this.
  18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Their offense is based off the same principle , but they have different personell and a different style .

No one is arguing that those are the most efficient shots .

But curry durant and Thompson are on a different shooting level than our guys . They can create more space since they have more range and are just plain better .

Also their defense feeds their offense .

You have to tailor to your personell . James is/ was a fantastic midrange scorer ... To at his best he needs to have all options . The same goes for Chris .

My main concern is that jacking up threes is habit forming .

When you pass up an open midrange for a contested 3 ... It's just bad basketball ... And I know that Morey and D'antonio agree with this ... The problem is that if you get players in the mindset of shoot threes vs shoot open shots you create situations where players pass up open looks to try and fit with the rockets philosophy ... Which again is bad basketball .

Open 2's are only "bad" shots when your foot is on the line .

19. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Money really should not write anything off until there is a banner hanging. San Antonio figured out how to defend it. So. Don't ignore an open shot if they are dating you to take it.

Embrace the clutch likes this.
  20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I do not remember D'antoni's Suns jacking up so many threes to be honest. Don't know what's happening

If every shot is an open three I am okay with it, but Harden especially likes to dribble dribble dribble into contested threes that usually bricks. Brings back nightmares from Game 5 last year. He literally shot us out of the game