1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you're in charge, do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marteen, Sep 18, 2019.

?

Do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2019.
  1. Pay the man.

91.9%
  2. Let him walk.

8.1%
  1. AirPower

AirPower Member

So you're calling AJ a liar....

2. steveng125

steveng125 Member

Astros staff made cole an elite pitcher. He will have a drop off if he leaves.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Or maybe the Astros taught him how to pitch like they did with Charlie Morton.

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Expect him to suddenly suffer from amnesia do you?

BeBreezy likes this.
  5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Just like Morton...wait...

punkoholic likes this.
  6. astros123

astros123 Member

Im calling it damage control. Theres no way Cole contradicts Hinch story with his low profile demeanor. If such agreement really did exist there would be no reason for Cole to be as pissed as he was. Its just common sense. If you were at game all of this would make more sense to you. Cole wouldn't have been loosening up the way he was in the 7th if such agreement existed.

Watching Cole as pissed as he was only makes me love him more. Dude is a fkin warrior and wanted the ball when it matters the most. Mad respect to him

banzai likes this.
  7. Elienator

Elienator Member

They just lost the world series with 8 outs left. I'm sure everyone on the team was just as upset and there would be plenty of reason for Cole to be upset if the agreement did exist. His answer in the moment was that the right game situation didn't come up, so there isn't much reason to suspect AJ was lying.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. astros123

astros123 Member

Everyone on the team WASNT as upset. Look at Correa and Bregman post game interviews. NO BODY in the clubhouse was as pissed. Go find me a video of ANYONE as pissed as Cole and I'll tip to the tipjar

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

What’s your endgame here? To prove Cole was mad he didn’t get in the game? Duh. Of course he was mad he had zero role in game 7. He was mad the Astros lost the game. He was mad that his last moments with a team, that is probably the best team he’ll ever play on, ended so abruptly and unsatisfying.

None of this means AJ was a liar or Cole is leaving with some hatred of his manager or the organization.

11. vonbock

vonbock Member

Come on, Cole has noone to blame but himself. If he pitched like he should have in game 1, we would won the world series so he should blame himself also.

12. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Charlie Morton sure had a major drop off...

13. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Wow...

astros123 likes this.
  14. awc713

awc713 Member

It’s so funny how some fans selectively fail to recognize that, I don’t know, maybe winning in the playoffs is REALLY HARD...and the competition is MUCH better than it is through the course of a season. My god. The whole “Astros choking” theme is so overdone. It would’ve been a choke if we were up 6-2 in the 7th or 8th and blew it. That’s not what happened though. The Nats have a great offense, and we couldn’t muster much vs. Stephen f’ing Strasburg and Max “3x CY winner” Scherzer. Move on. The hotter team won, so be it.

elrond, arkoe, mikol13 and 7 others like this.
  15. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

MLB Network going on and on about how amazing he would look in pinstripes...ugh

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sabathia: I've talked to Cole 'at length' about playing in NY

Eleven years ago, the Yankees made one of the most successful free-agent signings in franchise history, bringing in CC Sabathia on a seven-year, $161 million contract. At the time, the big lefty, a California native, was unsure if he wanted to play in New York, but the Yanks significantly outbid the Angels and everyone else for his services. The recently retired Sabathia thinks the Yankees could do the same with Cole this offseason, even if he has his own reservations about the Big Apple.

It has been widely assumed that Cole, another California native, wants to play on the West Coast, though he quashed that speculation the day after the World Series ended. "I never said that," the right-hander told the Houston Chronicle.

Even if Cole does privately have his heart set on a West Coast team, Sabathia thinks the Yankees could sway him with the right offer. He also revealed that the two have spoken on multiple occasions about Sabathia's experience in New York.

“Me and Gerrit Cole have spoken at length many times about me pitching as a Yankee as a West Coast Guy,” Sabathia said in a preview clip for the "R2C2 is UNINTERRUPTED" podcast. “This is crazy, this is shaping out … like the same offseason I had.

"If you give [him] enough money, he’s going to want to come here. I am speaking from experience."

While that may be so, it remains to be seen if the Yankees will go all out to sign Cole. While the team has continued to spend big in recent years, it has shied away from the win-at-all-cost moves that defined the late George Steinbrenner's tenure as owner. Additionally, the Competitive Balance Tax could be a factor in how much New York spends this offseason.

jim1961 likes this.
  17. awc713

awc713 Member

“Me and Gerrit Cole have spoken at length many times about me pitching as a Yankee as a West Coast Guy,” Sabathia said...

How exactly is that not tampering? Only way it wouldn’t be tampering is if all of those conversations happened after G7...

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Players can talk. For example, if Cole asks CC if he had any trouble adapting to the NY lifestyle CC can answer.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  19. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Then we just have to hope that Cole blow out his right elbow or shoulder if he put on the pinstripes jersey. Or get really fat like CC.

20. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Or maybe our coaches know him best and how he tips pitches. We can Yu Darvish him in the playoffs.

everyday eddie and AznH-TownFan like this.