1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If this Texas student doesn't cut his dreadlocks, he won't get to walk at graduation.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Jan 24, 2020.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It's all hair, not just dreads, but doesn't make it less racist in its effect. I don't think the original intent of hair length rules were racist though they completely ignored the impact on diverse communities. I don't think these policies are born from a very healthy place, regardless. We've been fighting over hair length since the 1960s when long hair had political connotations. All these rules should have been dropped because of that, but they wanted instead to suppress hippie culture by policing hair as if making someone cut their hair is going to make them also support the war in Vietnam.

But when they made these rules, they didn't think about the burden of compliance for Trinidadians. They thought of white kids with wavy brown hair. They may have thought of hippies using their hair as a middle finger to The Man. They didn't think about a culture that sees dreads as a proud symbol of their Afro-Caribbean heritage. So they say, what's wrong, we apply the rules equally (though apparently they don't) to everyone. Nevermind that they took for granted the rather blase attitude white boys have about their hair and didn't consider that there might be other cultures who think of their hair very differently. Like you often see with institutional racism, it's not about how the rules are enforced but how they are written.

malakas, da_juice and CometsWin like this.
  2. Newlin

Newlin Member

I’m in favor of people being able to wear any hairstyle they want to while in school. But, I do remember when I was in school back in the 60’s and 70’s, us boys couldn’t have our hair touch the collar. This is nothing new. Yes, we would be kicked out of school until we cut our hair. We thought this was stupid, but rules were rules and we cut our hair. Just cut your hair and get out of school. We have much bigger problems to worry about.

3. conquistador#11

Remember when coach made sunshine cut off his hair?
    I didn't like it.
    oooooh sunshine.

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. edwardc

edwardc Member

How many white male students have had to cut there hair or not be able graduate. just asking

5. edwardc

edwardc Member

Wasn't that set in the 60's this 2020 come on nah.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You think a white kid has never had to that in the history of American education?

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ridiculous redneck BS.

DD

da_juice likes this.
  8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.click2houston.com/news/...-dress-code-forced-to-cut-their-hair-as-well/

MONT BELVIEU – Mont Belvieu, a small town in Chambers and Liberty counties, is making a lot of noise over hair. The issue is how long the hair of male students at Barbers Hill High School should be.

Many students and parents gathered to show support at a park near the school Thursday night. They said that student Deandre Arnold is not the only one being targeted by the district’s dress code.

“I cut it (my hair) a little shorter, just got a little bit off,” said senior Jonathan Randel. “Then I came back the next, and they told me that it was still too long.”

Randel said he’s been wearing his hair long since seventh grade. He said has had to spend nearly $40 in just the past two days on haircuts to meet the district’s policy.

Randel and other students believe the hair policy is biased against boys.

Girls can cut their hair as short as a guy can and have it as long as they want too,” said student Brandon Hernandez. “So I think it should be the same for guys. I think we should be able to grow our hair out as long as we want to and have it as short as we want to.”

Many students said the district didn’t start cracking down on the dress code until after the Christmas break -- for one main reason.

“Once we first got on the news with DeAndre (Arnold) then it just started becoming a problem,” Hernandez said.

Arnold is Barbers Hill senior who has been told his hair is not in compliance with the district’s dress code. His family said his dreadlocks are part of their Trinidadian culture, and he has been out of school since refusing to cut his hair to meet the district’s dress code. On Friday, his mother said she withdrew Arnold from the high school.

“He is absolutely permitted to come back to school,” said Barbers Hill ISD Superintendent Greg Poole. “Now, full clarification, if he’s in violation what we would do with him is what we’d do with any student is he could possibly go into in-school suspension.”

Other male students, including Randel and Hernadez, said they also have been told if they are not in compliance with the dress code by Monday they could face the option of in-school suspension.

da_juice likes this.
  9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Yall need to get out of high school....

10. edwardc

edwardc Member

Not in this day and time

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The kid shouldn't have to cut his hair. He shouldn't cut it, and the school should be called out for the idiotic policy.

12. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

race card is black folks' ammunition, or bargain chip

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Looks like a typical school code.... r card is really just a revenge card in 99 percent of cases.

14. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I had long hair throughout my Junior and Senior years..when I went to pick up my cap and gown for graduation I was told I couldn't have them and would not be allowed to walk unless I cut my hair. I had to cut a few inches off in order to graduate.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

When i was in hs at private school in the 90's no one at my school could have long hair

16. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

It is not bargaining chip. You are joking right?

17. edwardc

edwardc Member

Private school i can see that happening .

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

19. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

My Hispanic attending wrote me up for having long hair. It wasn't even down to my shoulder. I'm Asian. The kicker is my school doesn't even have a hair policy.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

At my private school in the 90s you could have long hair, which I did. I also wore a baseball cap (White Sox at one time, later the Saints) and sneakers. But they were very strict about what shade of gray my slacks were, the tucking in of my shirt, and the presence of a belt. Honestly, I hate dress codes for this reason -- if you're going to be in the business of dictating how people look, don't half-ass it. Put them in white shirts with ties and blazers and black leather shoes. If you don't do that, your students are going to look like crap anyway. Having rules to govern some elements of one's appearance but allow deviation elsewhere just renders the rules you have capricious.