1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Miles, Miller and Johnson are gone, should we trade our pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sherlock, Jun 20, 2000.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

After Martin, Swift and Fizer, the great PFs are gone. If Miles, Miller and Johnson are taken, the great SFs are gone.

Let's say it goes:

Martin
    Swift
    Fizer
    Mihm
    Prysbilla
    Miller
    Miles
    Johnson
    * we're screwed...

But if all frontcourt players are taken in the first 8 due to team needs, there will be some really great guards on the board, like Alexander, Stephenson, Barkley, Crawford, Richardson, Peterson, Cleeves, Redd and Dooling, who will probably go in the next 12 picks. I really like the idea of trading down that I'm hearing about. Our pick would be for the best guard in the whole draft. That's worth a lot more to other teams than Moiso would be to us.

I believe we could trade down to a number of other teams, gain the value they would have in getting a top guard, and still pick up a player like a Carrawell, Collier or Stephenson with as much value to us as Moiso.

Here's a few ideas of possible scenarios off the top of my head:

<OL>
    [*] LAC: Trade them our #9 for their #18 and next year's pick, which would surely be in the lottery. Another possiblity would be to trade them our #9, Drew, TMass, some exception, so they can take Alexander. We solve both guard problems for them this year. They trade us their #18, #30 and Kandi. We take Carrawell and N'Diaye. We end up with a SF and 2 centers to build with. We trade Cato in a PF deal of some kind later.

[*]Sacramento: We trade them our #9, they give us #17 and next years pick. We take Johnson, Stephenson, Carrawell or Collier, and have another pick in next year's deeper draft.

[*]Indiana: We trade them our #9, Drew and exception, they take Alexander, they send us Croshere and Harrington. We both get 2 players who meet our needs better.

[*]Portland: They want Alexander, Prysbilla or Crawford, and want to trade J.O'Neal in return. I'd take that deal, as long as they include their #28, so we could pick up N'Diaye, Porter, Mottola, or Rush. I don't know who we'd trade back to them, though, besides our exception. I guess it would be time to give them people like Pig Miller, TMass, etc. who they dump. I wonder where that idea came from?

[*]Detroit: They need a point guard like Barkley. Let's say we trade them our #9, the future pick they owe us, and 3mil in exception so they can get the top point guard, and they give us Jerome Williams (who's on the outs there) and the #14 pick. We could probably still get Johnson or Stephenson, convert him to SF, and have a PF in Jerome, who I like. Another possibility would be to trade our #9 and future pick they owe us for their #14 and next year's pick, so we know for sure we'll get it in next year's deep draft. If Hill goes, they'll be in the lottery.

[*]Chicago: If they take Miles, Artest would be expendable,and they'd love Alexander. We could trade them our #9 and exception for Artest, and their #26 and #32, and possibly take Mottola, Samake or N'Diaye at #26 (or Stephenson if he's still there), then pick up Porter at #32.

[*]Denver: We trade them our #9 and they give us their next years pick and the one due from Orlando.

[*]Washington: We trade them our #9 and they give us their #35 and next years pick. We take Chris Porter for our SF, and get another lottery pick next year when we can get a great center.

[/list=a]Who knows, just thinking of other possibilities if all the front court players are gone.

------------------
    the more I know, the more I know I don't know...

2. vince

vince Member

Moiso just doesn't seem like the guy who would be Francis' Power forward does he?

I keep hearing that he does not have defense. Rudy's championship teams were built on defense.

------------------

3. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

The only trade scenario I like was the very first one, after that you can pretty much flush em' down the toilet because they aint gonna happen. When could teams start trading away exceptions? So there goes about half your trade propositions. This is the way I would do the LAC trade and anything less and I would say goodbye to LAC and look elsewhere.
    LAC:#18,#30, and first rounder next year
    Hou:#9, Drew or throw of some kind
    There's a deal. But, I sincerely doubt it will happen.

------------------

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Hell ya you do that deal with the Clippers. The Clippers will be one of the worst two teams next year. I would even trade my #9 pick for their pick next year strait up!

------------------

5. Francis3

Francis3 Member

9th Pick , 38th pick. Future first round pick of rockets, Cato, Wizard, Shandon for Lamar Odom and Kandiman.

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

6. alaskansnowman

Well, I actually do think that trading our pick would be a good idea. I like Jerome MOiso and all, but everyone says he has no D. But it all depends what Rudy thought of him in workouts.

As Sherlock said, we could really get some nice packages for our pick cuz we have a ton of really good guards to draft with the 9th pick. We might get someone or some people that would be better than just plain Jerome Moiso. But we dont exactly know what the Rox thought of Moiso after his workouts, except that he "exceeded their expectations". But that doesnt mean he's really good... he still might not have D or the Rox had low expectations?

TRade the piCk.

------------------
    treasurer of the moochie norris fan club

7. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Sherlock

Man, that's a fun, and well thought out post. I like most of them. I really like Chris Porter and Collier alate acquisitions. I doubt either would be there though. Collier will be above the 17-18 spot in my opinion, and I truly think Chris Porter will creep way up into the twentys from his relegated second round spot.

But sure did enjoy the post. Thanks.

------------------

8. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

oeilpere

I'm honored, especially coming from you. Glad to have you back posting.

I had only heard Porter had dropped. Have you heard something to indicate otherwise?

I believe there will be some good players (not great - this draft is weak on great players, but deep on good ones) left late in the first round and well into the second.

Who do you think will be the steals later on?

------------------
    the more I know, the more I know I don't know...