1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ideas to Improve MLB

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Jan 10, 2019.

1. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I do like the change they made this year, reducing commercial breaks to a minute and a half.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

This still holds true.

3. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Robo umps NOW

4. Jeremy Williams

I think it should be done like tennis. Have an umpire that makes the calls, but have the technology used to make quick challenges on pitches managers challenge. Only so many challenges a game.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not a tennis follower, but I expect there aren't as many wrong calls. I'd rather stay human ump than have a challenge system.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The main problem with West last night was inconsistency. All four “balls” to Yuli touched the corners of the plate and ball 4 could have been called strike 3 just as easily. I suspect Mariners fans are just as upset.

Nook, Buck Turgidson and Rock Block like this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They could also release game scores/grades of umps on how they did... something tells me West's game score would come out poorly for both sides (hence, he was just consistently bad).

But, they won't... they'll continue to operate in secrecy. I'm actually surprised they let broadcasts show the K-zone for all pitches (unless they're truly moving towards a computerized system). They're inviting controversy.

8. akgoel

akgoel Member

The reason they don't use robo-umps in tennis for all calls is that they aren't instantaneous, and so the players can't depend on a delayed call. This is only a problem in baseball during a stolen base when there are 3 balls in the count, and even then only really matters if the catcher makes an error during the throw to 2nd during a walk.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The tennis system is actually more instantaneous than you think. The old cyclops system gave live feedback whether a ball was in or out. Its now been changed to the hawk-eye system (which is used in the challenges), but it actually does track the ball in real time.

I have no problem with baseball continuing to have somebody call the balls/strikes... I just want a computer to tell the ump what to call.

10. Buck Turgidson

He completely hosed Tucker on a 1st pitch strike in his AB in the 12th...then completely blew what would have been strike 3 the pitch before Tucker's single.

Guess he figures if he makes 2 opposing horrible calls per AB it all evens out.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  11. bobrek

I guess MLB's position is that if both teams think the umpires suck, then they've done their job

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I don't know that baseball would do this but these really long extra inning games are dumb. I would rather see it end in a tie after 12 innings during the regular season. We don't need 6 hour games in April.

13. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

When tied after 9 innings, homerun derby during the regular season! Play it out like they do now for playoff games.

14. Buck Turgidson

This is horrible, this idea.

Nook, HatsForBats, Handles and 2 others like this.
  15. bobrek

Millennials..

16. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

This does seem to be his MO. It's really atrocious.

Funny thing about Joe West, he's one of like only 8 humans alive who has ever had a "perfect game" as an umpire. It wasn't last night, obviously.

17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I mean, I'm not a millenial. I love baseball. I like extra innings. I'd do nothing to change the way the game is set up now.
    But if it has to be changed I'd just as soon go to a system of 9 innings and then it's a tie game after that for all of eternity, as opposed to a HR derby, or starting with a runner on 2nd, or any other contrived or mickey mouse bullshit.

The republic wouldn't end if we had a win column, loss column, and tie column. Seriously, that wouldn't be my preference but it wouldn't be an abomination (to me at least) like starting with a guy on 2nd, or rejiggering your lineup every inning, or HR Derby or any of the other nonsense I've seen nominated.

18. bobrek

How does an extra inning game personally affect any fan? The only affect is you either leave the game early or miss the end because you need to get to sleep. I'd rather the Astros be 91-50 than 81-47-13. Just leave things alone. There aren't that many games that go ridiculously long where there needs to be a change.

Buck Turgidson and Nook like this.
  19. mick fry

mick fry Member

https://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxV...eamlb_houmlb_1&sp_type=3&s_type=7&cache=1.gif

So you think they all get shafted equally? Keep in mind the red triangles are called strikes for seattle pitchers.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Don't ever bring up the potential of adding ties to baseball.

Ties are f**king disgusting and we don't do them for a reason. Leave that crap to soccer.