1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I think Romeo is done

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Not sure if O'Brien gets fired or not. I kind of hope he does, as I feel like there's a good crop of candidates out there.

Eric Bieniemy, McDaniels, I think Lafluer is a good candidate, McCarthy is there but I don't really like him. Or we could bring Kubes back. I'd love that.

I'd love to bring in Freddie Kitchens as offensive coordinator if we don't fire him.

With all that said, this thread is about Romeo. He's the oldest assistant or head coach in the league. His defense fell apart. He couldn't generate pressure even though he has some great pass rushers on his team. He can't scheme to stop any decent quarterback. He's done.

I heard a rumor two coaches get fired tomorrow. Romeo is one. Bill is supposedly not the other. Maybe it's Weaver?

That said, can we get Todd Bowles in as defensive coordinator?

#1 Two Sandwiches, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    rockets94-95 likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think you're right, but he won't be "fired" he'll "retire"

jcf, Rudyc281 and red5rocket like this.
  3. Texanstradamus

He not getting fired but Romeo should be done defense maxed out 2 yrs ago

rockets94-95 likes this.
  4. juanm34

juanm34 Member

He adjusted a little to late. Also our secondary is garbage.
    If Romeo goes so must BOB. He’s been riding the defense for far to long.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Someone is going to be a scapegoat. Either Romeo, O'Brien, or both.

Romeo is the likely candidate since O'Brien just got an extension and Romeo is old and can "retire".

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Removed

#6 J.R., Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  7. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

I’m also hoping (maybe against hope) that your source is wrong and the other change is indeed our head coach. Time will soon tell. It would certainly be most likely that Crennel goes and they give O’Brien a pass by falling back on injuries to Fuller, Thomas, Hopkins etc to excuse our terrible offensive showing.

8. conquistador#11

Some would say the game has PASSED him by but the colts were basically running the Tampa 2 with cornerbacks that were extremely physical with our receivers. We don't have that. Just one holy phenom at CB could make his defense wonderful again.
    No shade at Watt but Willfork said when Clowney is the feature of the Defense, Romeo is more comfortable. This was the offseason after the brock year

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

As it stands the Texans defense allowed the 4th fewest points in the NFL....they carried the team all season long even if the fans can't recognize it.

UTSA2step likes this.
  10. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

If Romeo goes , then Bill has to go with him period.

BigShasta and red5rocket like this.
  11. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

I sure hope so.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Time to go and get some young DC blood in. I do believe that will happen this offseason.

BOB on the other hand....Does Cal have bigger balls than his daddy? Does he want to make this "his" team? Fire BOB already.

13. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Well they also need to make changes in the secondary defensively. Players like Wright need to be off the roster. Kevin Johnson too.

red5rocket and rockets94-95 like this.
  14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Wasted years of fandom until major changes are made.

15. Texanstradamus

They carried them until the last 4 games to end the season the secondary with Joseph and Kareem at corners has always been shredded cheese

BigShasta likes this.
  16. Texanstradamus

They carried them until the last 4 games to end the season the secondary with Joseph and Kareem at corners has always been shredded cheese

17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

We definelty need somebody who will blitz more often. And get creative with schemes it always felt you knew where the blitz was coming from when we did blitz.

18. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Sounds right. The Clowney/ Mercilus duo seemed to generate consistent pressure in 2016 on opposing qbs even though they didn’t put up Watt-like sack numbers.

19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Some of you are just dreaming. I could see Romeo being done, but Texans just gave O'Brien an extension. He took a team that was 4-12 last year to 11-5. He's not being fired and the Texans aren't paying him to sit home for 4 more years.

UTSA2step likes this.
  20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Agreed Texans fan will just have to deal with this loser's mindset. Had a chance to get a first round bye... played it safe and choked into having to win the last game of the season to get the winner out of Colts vs titans. Got the Colts at home in NRG... you know the rest. Losers lose.

BigShasta, arkoe and rockets94-95 like this.