1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I prefer This Less Efficient Harden to the Old One

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jevjnd, Nov 13, 2014.

?

Which Harden do you prefer?

1. I'm okay with lower field goal percentage Harden.

82 vote(s)
    79.6%
  2. We need to preserve Harden on the defensive end.

21 vote(s)
    20.4%
  1. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

Let me clarify what I mean. Before, Harden was ultra-efficient on offense, but as we know his defense was insufficient. Harden's offense this year looks to have taken a hit perhaps due to the energy that he's expending on defense, but I'm okay with that. He's still elite on offense, though shooting below 40%. In my mind, this is Harden's best year yet. The Summer around those other players looks to have had that magical effect that it always does on players. As a result, our team looks better than it has since the Ming/McGrady era, and yet, at least to me, there's something that feels more serious about this team than even those teams. It feels like they are not only more serious contenders than those teams were (that may be because of the current state of the league. I don't really care), but it also feels like this team will last for at least a few years to come. How do you feel about it?

2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

As long as Dwight and Dmo are grabbing offensive boards it's all good. Dmo getting more playing time means he's gonna be a beast come Playoff time.

1 person likes this.
  3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Way too early to be saying his offense "took a hit". He usually hits his stride later in the season

4. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Its fine for now, but there are gonna be times when the Rockets will need Harden to get some clutch shots and shooting sub 40% is not gonna cut over the long haul.

5. JackLordsHair

JackLordsHair Member

I am fully expecting his offensive shooting % to pick up over the next few weeks especially when we start facing the more elite teams in the West. That said, I love how he is involving nearly everyone else in the offense and is willing to give the ball up when he realizes other teammates have better/higher % shots available thanks to his creative drives into the middle of the court. His passing is absolutely fantastic 99% of the time and he rebounds better than most SG's. His only major weakness is his t/o % when he gets tired. Quite honestly he is close to a shut down defender as he will ever get so far this year and yet is still creating and facilitating others in the offense at a high rate. Dude is balling right now and the Rox are winning and winning big as a result.

The commitment to defense he has made this year is astonishing given how poorly he played defense past year, all the media coverage and Youtube bashing had to have had a major psychological affect on him and the addition of Ariza seems to have been a major affect on how he has approached playing on the defensive end of the floor. I am loving it !!!!

6. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

He's still having 58% TS, which is still pretty good. He's shot worse from the 3 point line but he's actually getting more foul call's than last year.

In addition his assist and reb are also much higher. Once again, 58%TS is not bad at.

7. ribbit

ribbit Member

As long as Rockets keep winning.

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Harden has had slumps before and will have slumps again. I don't think it has much to do at all about his defensive effort. He will end the season shooting about where he always does. Can't wait for the stretch of games where he just can't miss.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If it's because of defense, then I'm ok with that.

But if so, his conditioning needs to improve.

10. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

What I want most from James Harden is to bring his turn overs down and play at least solid defense. I trust him to get his team mates involved and to put numbers on the board whether it's efficiently or not. I originally thought he was going to be near 29ppg before the season started, but I'm starting to understand that he probably needs to worry about getting the rest of the guys involved rather than himself scoring.

It would be awesome though if he could be like 47 FG%< and 37 3FG%< while at the same time being 90% FT%.

11. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

its too early but he needs to shoot better. not many good playoff teams have their best scorer shooting 40%.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

It's pretty clear the reason for the lower % is due to defense, its no coincidence the a lot of the best scorers tend to be bad defenders (Stephen Curry, Nash, Cp3, Love, Rose etc).

I think he'll get used to it as the season goes on, but the thing is in the playoffs everyone has issues with offense anyway so its better to better to have defensive Harden than offensive dynamo Harden.

1 person likes this.
  13. Ghost_of_Akeem

I prefer a more efficient Harden who is in shape and takes his job seriously. Something tells me I will never get that Harden, but I do appreciate his junkyard quasi playmaking skills.

As Rockets fans, we must get used to taking Harden at his face value which is a bare minimum athlete. He will do the bare minimum acquired to win while giving the least amount of physical effort on either end of the floor.

Harden is the Anti JJ-Watt.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

harden shot like this the first month of last season, and his defense was still ass

15. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

I'm ok with it being lower but shooting sub 40% is just too low. Should improve like he usually does.

16. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

LOL...KUDOS on your username!!!!....:grin:

17. MONON

MONON Member

We have seen Harden have slow starts shooting before, but we haven't seen defense like this from him. So with his passing ability to say Ariza, Canaan & Terry, I'll take his current shooting %.

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Ten assists last night. Three steals. Nuff said.

19. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

he's as inefficient as chandlers parsons right now (purely based on fg%)

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Harden started off poorly from the field last season too(although that was due in part to a foot injury). His shot will round into form. What's remarkable is the start they've gotten off to with him not shooting well coupled with the injuries to 2 starters.