1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I Dont Believe in God and its No Big Deal

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Aug 5, 2018.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Im at this family reunion. I dont want to upset anyone especially elders by not saying Amen after blessing the food.

Why would i. Its not a big deal anymore to not believe in the Christian God but it is a big deal to some Christians. For me its nothing to argue about and i still like going to church with my mother.

I like the community aspect of church and i don't know anything that replaces it so i still attend mass every once and a while.

pahiyas and conquistador#11 like this.
  2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Unless you shout “I’m an atheist”.... no one will know.

Unless your family are jerks like mine and always ask me to say grace at family functions, just to be trolls.

3. conquistador#11

are you saying jesus can't hit a curve ball?

4. body slam

body slam Member

As a Catholic I can honestly say I really don't care and your are free to live your life as you please.

Just curious when you go to church with your mom do you take part in mass or are you just there? If you take part mass then saying amen really should not be any different. Plus it might save you a butt chewing from the elders.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, did you not say Amen and some folks got upset?

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sounds very christian to me
    Take what ya like
    and
    leave what you don't

Rocket River

leroy, mdrowe00 and pgabriel like this.
  7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

That is Christianity nowadays

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You shouldn’t feel that saying “amen” is some kind of spiritual affirmation. Instead, you should see it as a sign of respect toward those you are sharing a meal with.

I noticed that Anthony Bourdain said “amen” at the end of each meal he shared with families in West Virginia during his past season there. He was obviously not a religious man. But, he had a deep respect for those he visited and honored them by performing that simple gesture. It’s harmless for you, but goes a long way with them.

9. Senator

Senator Member

It has nothing to do with God, being spiritual, observing lent or whatever. Do you wear shorts and slippers to Church? No, you wear pants and shoes.

It is a sign of respect for your host.

Do as the Romans do when in Rome. Stop trying to prove how different or atheist you are, it's just common courtesy.

10. Outlier

Outlier Member

Threads like these show how Catholics aren't really Christians anyway. The Christian God doesn't care if you say a word or not. It seems like the Catholic religion has twisted your perception of how Christians act and how you're really just rebelling against your family by not abiding their man-made traditions. You never tried to know God anyway, why say you don't believe in Him?

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I wear shorts to church. Also sandals. I've even (gasp!) taught Sunday school wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Though at my church, they ask us to wear our t-shirts that say "Children's Ministry" (and our name badges) so parents know we are on the teaching staff.

I don't think He cares what clothes I wear.

FranchiseBlade and cml750 like this.
  12. cml750

cml750 Member

I have to agree with you. While I always dress up for church, there are many who attend who don't and I have no issues whatsoever with that. I dress up in memory of my late mother who would turn over in her grave if I wore shorts to church. While my mom always said you wear your Sunday best to church, Jesus just wants you to be there.

#12 cml750, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  13. Senator

Senator Member

Naive to act like every church has the same rules. Better example would have been a funeral, wearing shorts and slippers to that. If you treat everything like a gimmick, the jokes on you. And that's got nothing to do with God or religion.

14. Newlin

Newlin Member

15. NewRoxFan

Look at what you posted and then think about "naive to act like every church has the same rules." Note I just described the church I belong to. I have also worn shorts at other churches I have belonged to in the past (especially Fellowship of the Woodlands, where I was on the parking ministry team).

Your post that I responded to:

Again, I don't believe He worries about what I wear to church. My Pastor doesn't either (he typically wears jeans).

16. NewRoxFan

Wonder if there is a version of that same cartoon that says "It says here you wear shorts and sandals to church"...

17. Senator

Senator Member

What he worries about is not relevant. Nitpicking over how naive you are is not relevant. Bottom line- Respect your host, say amen (in this instance, or wear formal attire to a funeral in another , wear pants at a formal Sunday church in another instance, etc) , then go home. It's nothing more than that.

18. NewRoxFan

Interesting that in a discussion about religion you are so angry and dismissive... but again, what I wear to church isn't a reflection of the respect I have for my church. And an important lesson I have learned, how you act (or what you wear) at church isn't as important as how you act outside church.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Ehh.....my Priest doesn't care what I wear to church as long as my check clears. :)