1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hypothetical] If the Astros had a chance to return to the NL

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htwnbandit, Oct 17, 2019.

?

Would you want to see the Astros ever return to the NL?

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. No

80 vote(s)
    75.5%
  1. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

If, let's say MLB some time in the future asked the Astros and Brewers if they wanted to switch leagues so they go back to their original leagues, or if MLB expands and adds 2 AL teams and move the Astros back to the NL to even it out, would you want to see that happen?

Personally, as much as I love what the Astros are doing right now and will be behind 'em like I am for all Houston teams, a part of me kind of wants to see them eventually go back and renew the old in-league rivalries with the Cards, Dodgers, Braves etc. as well as re-opening up the opportunity for an all-Texas World Series, and if we're good enough in that future, be the only team to win the WS in both leagues. I don't quite think we're fully cemented as an AL team just yet though the Yankees and Red Sox we have already seen a few times and maybe those rivalries will develop, but 7 years (currently) certainly doesn't compare to 50.

snowconeman22 and BruceAndre like this.
  2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I would, but that's only because I'm getting more nostalgic in my old age. I do miss the old rivalries with the Scrubs and Cards and I get tired of having to stay up for those late road games with the west coast teams in our division.

That being said, the DH is finally starting to grow on me and it's fun beating the rangers every year.

3. SuraGotMadHops

Nah, I'm over it. I'm good.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

No.....I love the DH. Pitchers get to keep pitching until they can't. Some of the strategy is definitely lost, but in terms of enjoyment of the product I can say with great confidence the DH is better IMO.

For years I was a complete DH hater so I never thought I would have this opinion, but I've long since been converted. As for the old rivalries, what's done is done. I'm comfortable here. Some of you old heads hype up the Dodger rivalry, but as a fan who entered literally the same year as the Wild Card, I never even had the slightest feeling of rivalry with anybody except the Cardinals, and even that was more respect than hate.

Still extremely salty about the manner in which we were sent here though.

boomboom, vator, c1utchfan925 and 4 others like this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Only change I want to see is getting away from so many west coast games.

6. swakid8

swakid8 Member

As much as I miss the ol Cubs and Cardinals rivalries, I don’t miss being in the NL. Besides, we now have the Rangers and Astros rivalry, a growing Angels and Astros rivalry and now Astros are are starting to live in Yankees fans heads rent free and I am enjoying that because I always hated the Yankees.

7. swakid8

swakid8 Member

Delete

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'd like to think we got our ultimate revenge in 2017.

9. vince

vince Member

exactly, no need to pull a pitcher because a pitch hitter is needed. If you are going to pay starting pitchers all this money, leave them in until they are ready to come out in their own.

boomboom likes this.
  10. SemisolidSnake

I hated the move at first, growing up with the NL Astros and as a baseball player, but my answer is now no. After seeing so many masterful pitching performances by our pitchers, I hate the the idea of pulling a guy on a roll for the obtuse reason that he can't hit.

That said, I would like to see more small ball return to the game. So does JV, incidentally.

11. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Totally agree. The Astros had so many solid rivalries -- Reds, Dodgers, Braves, Giants, Cardinals, Mets, heck even the Pirates and Phillies once upon a time, and I'm probably forgetting some opposing team(s) that had good rivalries with the Astros.

As good/great as the Astros are now, it's still kinda hard to get fired up about the Royals, Angels, the Mariners, the White Sox (even tho they punked us in 05), etc.

In addition, I'm still not sold on the DH. It seems to be "more pure" when the pitcher has to bat; and then this adds to the "chess match" of baseball; which is another aspect of baseball that is lost in the American League.

That said, Go Stros! whichever league they are in.

12. msn

msn Member

Still not over it. Still hate the DH.

We're not pulling pitchers for pinch hitters, but we're pulling them for pitch counts in roughly the same part of the game, so it's not like AL pitchers are staying in soooo much longer than NL.

That said, go Astros! They're my team, regardless of what league Butt Selig stuck us into.

Rashmon and htwnbandit like this.
  13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Been there. Done that. Not again in my lifetime would be ok.

arkoe likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Go to the Yankees Reddit subreddit. Their fans hate us as much as they hate the Red Sox. That only inflates the perception of the Astros as a more well known franchise. I think it's healthy for the Astros franchise to have rivals that are the Yankees and Red Sox instead of the Cardinals and Cubs in terms of revenue.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Starters in the NL stay in longer on average. I blame Tampa.

16. AstrosRockets1818

We own the AL West and this thread is made lol

17. HTown2017Champs

I'd say a universal DH is inevitable.
    That said, I liked the Lone Star series being shorter, and therefore a bigger deal, and a natural interleague rivalry. Texas has a horse in each race (league), and the possibility of an all-Texas World Series. And bring back the old rivalries, and the opportunity to face the Yankees in the WS. I like it, though I'm heavily outvoted. I also like that the NL is 25 years older and thus the "Senior Circuit" (I know, minor things).

18. Handles

Handles Member

I like Alvarez at DH, not so much in outfield lol. DH is more fun to watch than pitchers hitting. Plus, I like being the gate to the World Series for the Yankees. I really hate the Yankees.

boomboom and Jake Tower like this.
  19. Newlin

Newlin Member

I agree. They need to do away with different rules for different leagues and just have one league. Remake the divisions so they make sense. The Astros need to be in a central division with other teams from central states.

20. awc713

awc713 Member

I’d like to stay in the AL but play more inter-league games. Series with STL, CHC, ATL, etc is good enough, we already know where better than them ;)

htwnbandit likes this.