1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Humanity is DOOMED Part 3

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Invisible Fan, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Chinese scientists have put human brain genes in monkeys—and yes, they may be smarter
    Human intelligence is one of evolution’s most consequential inventions. It is the result of a sprint that started millions of years ago, leading to ever bigger brains and new abilities. Eventually, humans stood upright, took up the plow, and created civilization, while our primate cousins stayed in the trees.

Now scientists in southern China report that they’ve tried to narrow the evolutionary gap, creating several transgenic macaque monkeys with extra copies of a human gene suspected of playing a role in shaping human intelligence.

“This was the first attempt to understand the evolution of human cognition using a transgenic monkey model,” says Bing Su, the geneticist at the Kunming Institute of Zoology who led the effort.

According to their findings, the modified monkeys did better on a memory test involving colors and block pictures, and their brains also took longer to develop—as those of human children do. There wasn’t a difference in brain size.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

China don't give a F.

I read a book called Change Agent by Daniel Suarez where the next industrial revolution was gene editing. Due to religious nut-jobs in the US, the capital of this new industrial revolution was in Singapore. I wouldn't say it's a must read but Suarez always writes really good near-future sci-fi based on current tech trends.

CCity Zero and KingCheetah like this.
  3. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Meh, get back to me when it can type a Shakespearean play.

[​IMG]

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Suarez is always a damn good read.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What could possibly go wrong?

CCity Zero and B-Bob like this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Sooo... why is there no market for putting monkey brain genes in a HUMAN?

Oh, because that already obviously exists... everywhere.

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I'll def have to check this book out. I think these areas definitely need regulation and China is doing whatever it wants .. They love CRISPR, I mean I guess it could advance the platform at a much higher rate but it has some scary risks (especially applied to food sources with no protocols), but I do eventually see this book being a reality at least with regards to the US using gov funding/US based locations.

... Don't want to ruin thread into D&D, haha. Anyway thanks for heads up on the book

9. Buck Turgidson

They start ****ing with the dolphins or octopuses then we know we're screwed

I mean, monkeys? That's old school...

Invisible Fan likes this.
  10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Josef Mengele would be proud.